Are these wheel nuts safe & legal?

PICT0386.JPG
PICT0387.JPG

Driveroneuk:

i would nt want to run with them look like to me studs for steel wheels and someone s fitted alloy wheels

sammy dog:

Driveroneuk:

i would nt want to run with them look like to me studs for steel wheels and someone s fitted alloy wheels

What he said ^^^ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

yes they are legal, they are sleeved and the holes on the rims are bigger to allow them to go through the rim

swiller:
yes they are legal, they are sleeved and the holes on the rims are bigger to allow them to go through the rim

^^^ this ^^

thats off a P&O truck tha driverone :wink: my dad had 1 with the mini mid-lift never did like the look of them wheel nuts though

yes they are legal. if you look at the closeup picture, you will notice 2 lines on the nut, this means they are for alloy wheels, one line means steel.
it dosn’t mean i think it’s right though. i’ve taken a truck for test with the same thing. it passed. i couldn’t believe it.

As above, they are retro fit wheels, and the wheel nuts are sleeved, meaning they go right through the alloy wheel face, so there is about 1/2 inch that you cant see

jimmy2loads:
As above, they are retro fit wheels, and the wheel nuts are sleeved, meaning they go right through the alloy wheel face, so there is about 1/2 inch that you cant see

^^^^. As used by Mercedes and Iveco, it allows the original studs to be used when fitting alloys which are thicker than steel wheels, the nut passes through the wheel and is threaded all the way. The wheels also have a larger 32mm hole instead of the usual 26mm.

Used to have some on my old DAF, no need for alarm.

hammer:
Used to have some on my old DAF, no need for alarm.

3500 Transalliance MAN trucks cannot be wrong although I did defect it the first time I drove one :blush:

I have the same ones fitted from the factory on my Volvo’s - never had a problem with them, and the wheel is centralised as the inside sleeve of the nut fits in the recess in the wheel. Plenty of oil on the threads and between washer and nut, and torque to 650Nm. A bit alarming to look at initially though I do admit, especially when you look at a nut as there’s only about 15 threads in the centre of the nut.

My Scanny has got these on the second steer axle, all the others have got Alcoa branded wheel nuts with caps. Everywhere I go people spot them and point them out but it’s just passed it’s MOT

I have the same on the drive axle of my XF and have lost count the number of times a driver has asked if my wheel nuts are tight whilst fuelling up/parked up! They just don’t look right do they!

xfmatt:
I have the same on the drive axle of my XF and have lost count the number of times a driver has asked if my wheel nuts are tight whilst fuelling up/parked up! They just don’t look right do they!

I’ve got them too, but all round and had the same comments from the know it/seen it all MMTM crew :unamused: got some of these all round now,
cpsafety.com.au/products_dustite.html
problem solved :sunglasses:

Big Joe:

xfmatt:

I’ve got them too, but all round and had the same comments from the know it/seen it all MMTM crew :unamused: got some of these all round now,
cpsafety.com.au/products_dustite.html
problem solved :sunglasses:

I suppose they’re cheaper than a set of longer studs :wink:

limeyphil:
yes they are legal. if you look at the closeup picture, you will notice 2 lines on the nut, this means they are for alloy wheels, one line means steel.
it dosn’t mean i think it’s right though. i’ve taken a truck for test with the same thing. it passed. i couldn’t believe it.

Phil is spot on with that explanation, every nut and bolt used in engineering has a marking of some kind on it and the correct ones have to be used. Even bolts without a marking mean something.

The important thing with Alloys is keeping the two materials separate so the cap nuts go through the wheel using the hub to centre the rim.

Aluminium alloy is less noble than cast or mild steel so it suffers more from corrosion

Big Joe:

jimmy2loads:

^^^^. As used by Mercedes and Iveco, it allows the original studs to be used when fitting alloys which are thicker than steel wheels, the nut passes through the wheel and is threaded all the way. The wheels also have a larger 32mm hole instead of the usual 26mm.

You’re dead right guys. The pic was taken a few years ago and the truck was about 5 years old at the time.
As you can see in the photo, those nuts had been on for some time.

That is how it was supplied by the Mercedes agent and had passed every MOT and several spot checks.

I parked next to a car & caravan in a services & the guy started going off on one about them. Try as I might, I couldn’t explain to him about the sleeved nut, he was having non of it.

So you might think why have the unused thread section extending beyound the stud? Why not just make the nut less deep ending in line with the stud?
Because you need the depth of nut to get a good hold on it with a wheel brace or impact socket.

Thanks for your input guys, interesting.

Anyone ever heard of these Safetytrims? Are they any good in keeping the nuts on?

philipa:
Anyone ever heard of these Safetytrims? Are they any good in keeping the nuts on?

Hadn’t heard of them until now. Take it you mean these:

One of many ideas & products that do a similar job.
Would guess they will be somewhat more expensive than the nice & simple plastic pointers or metal locking rings.

Edit: oops, forgot to add, welcome to Trucknet Philipa. :slight_smile:

Apparently Lafarge fit them on all their trucks now… I was just wondering what people think about them?

Driveroneuk:

philipa:

Hadn’t heard of them unti now. Take it you mean these:

One of many ideas & products that do a similar job.