Are there driving jobs out there for women drivers?

Evening everyone, well before I part with 1300 quid to do C training I’m wondering if I would actually stand any chance of getting a full time job driving. At the moment I drive 7.5t part time (for the last 7 months). I am really interested in tipper work etc and I don’t fancy general haulage to be honest. I’ve got the theory and hazard test in a couple of weeks time. The reason I’m wondering is because I’ve applied for quite a few jobs full time (7.5t) and have been unsuccessful, I realise 7 months part time experience is not much but I have had a clean licence for 21 years and so I can’t help but wonder if it has something to do with me being female. Particularly as at an interview recently the first thing the bloke said was “oh so you like driving big lorries then” I thought it was a bit patronising as I don’t think he would have said that if I had been a hairy arsed bloke!! :wink: I love driving and want to drive full time and I don’t want to be defeatist but should I give up rather than waste such a lot of money? I just can’t do 7.5t multidrop full time it’s back breaking and the pay is awful.

There are 4 or 5 ladies that drive 8 wheel tippers out of Lafarge Harper Lane. But then there’s hundred odd chaps running out of there too. I’m sure there is no barrier particularly, but I’m equally sure patronising comments might come at you more than often than you might hope. It is a male dominated sector after all. And all men are idiots, and regularly make idiotic comments without thinking… I know, I am one!

Just ignore it and crack on.

Plenty of opportunity.
Don’t think there is some kind of chauvinistic barrier out there although there are always exceptions.

Do it!

Go for it. There’s jobs there, unfortunately you will get the stereotype comments, just ignore or give as good back( I would but that’s me as I’d be wondering about the company ethics by then).

Don’t discount general haulage, it might be a stepping stone you need to go onto a better job.

I enjoy mine at moment, has its ups and downs but more ups so ok.

I don’t know your area as such so can’t comment on firms taking on new female drivers but I’d be very surprised if they’re all same as idiot you met at that recent interview.

sammy770:
if I had been a hairy arsed bloke!! :wink:

Do you mind, I wax mine! :smiley:

And if you want to drive, the only person stopping you, is YOU, so go for it!!!

F-reds:
There are 4 or 5 ladies that drive 8 wheel tippers out of Lafarge Harper Lane. But then there’s hundred odd chaps running out of there too. I’m sure there is no barrier particularly, but I’m equally sure patronising comments might come at you more than often than you might hope. It is a male dominated sector after all. And all men are idiots, and regularly make idiotic comments without thinking… I know, I am one!

Just ignore it and crack on.

Thanks for your comment that’s good to hear. :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

sammy770:
if I had been a hairy arsed bloke!! :wink:

Do you mind, I wax mine! :smiley:

And if you want to drive, the only person stopping you, is YOU, so go for it!!!

Haha :grimacing:

Yes I do want to…nothing ventured nothing gained I guess!

dcgpx:
Go for it. There’s jobs there, unfortunately you will get the stereotype comments, just ignore or give as good back( I would but that’s me as I’d be wondering about the company ethics by then).

Don’t discount general haulage, it might be a stepping stone you need to go onto a better job.

I enjoy mine at moment, has its ups and downs but more ups so ok.

I don’t know your area as such so can’t comment on firms taking on new female drivers but I’d be very surprised if they’re all same as idiot you met at that recent interview.

I live in the Fens (unfortunately!) but there are lorries everywhere here!

Been a few posts recently where the crux of the post is a persons ■■■.

Your ■■■ is not relevant in this day and age.

I would also have thought that it isn’t really relevant, and I’ve had the odd weird comment from non-drivers when I turn up in my little Merc Sprinter van, so there are idiots everywhere. :slight_smile:

As has been said only thing stopping you is you , never had any problem , if your willing to work and if your driving 7 half tonne you must be able to handle yourself with ref to comments so give as good as you get , drove from 18 tonne to double decker wagon and trailer , only prob I find is when windy the curtains kinda give me the mary poppins feeling lol but always someone will give ya a hand go for it :slight_smile:

Not in your area I know ,but there was a Tipper firm advertising in Braintree, Essex a few weeks back and it said on the ad male and female drivers required.

I say go for it, you will always be wondering if not. Im sure you would find a job. Try sending out cvs or go round to local firms , explain situation and just put your name about.

You will definitely get work I am sure of it. As long as you do not say No to anything offered, multi drop, working illegal or at least max hours, doing the crappy multi drop runs where you forget what your home looked like etc. In other words take any crappy job for really low pay rates and you are in then with 120 days driving experience you can start to work up the ladder :wink: Good Luck

In Essex SRC and EWD definitely has female drivers on 8w tippers. Stennets have them on the artic bulkers.

So its not unusual to see female drivers especially in the day construction work like tippers and concrete mixers.

As long as you’re not an unscrupulous employee and don’t play the skivers card to get out of doing work so everyone has to run around to do it for you. Why can’t you do this job■■?

And that applies to any industry, including ours before someone says I’m being a sexist. Loads of men play certain cards why they can’t be bothered, to get out of doing a certain job.

But at a drop last month for the first time, I watched a lady pull the female card. I was shocked someone would try it in this male dominated industry as its damaging to all the females in it. But even more so, more fool the blokes/idiots tripping over themselves to get her first to “impress” her. :laughing:

You’re more than an equal to any man and must remember that.

On the comments front…people always comment on me wearing a black shirt and tie and a black Fedora hat and orange hi-viz trousers (bit grease covered unfortunately) everyday.
I work on semi low loaders in large plant and they say a lorry driver shouldn’t be wearing that (shirt and tie that is :laughing: )…I always ask why?

Response usually given you should be covered in grease wearing dirty jeans and scruffy t shirt…WTF why■■?

Strange how people have perceptions of others, but don’t worry about it, its only opinions they don’t have any bearing on your working life.

Good luck in getting the job.

C

There is tons of work, don’t let yourself get put off if you hear a negative comment or such.

There is work out there 1st you are a driver 2nd you are female I have never had a problem with driving jobs up here in the North East

There was a woman driver at Bretts Transport for a long time she now does there driver training also a member on here so stop & go for it there are quite a few females driving as said the only thing that is stopping you is you

I work for Culina and we have 2 females and one of them was 20 yrs old when she joined us so there’s definitely hope for you.