Are There Any DPD Double Deck Drivers On Here

Hi all
Im trying to find any DPD Double Deck linehaul drivers on here that could answer me if they have been made to do Multi Drop deliveries in them & if you have ever refused to do it

I’ve never been asked to do multidrop deliveries but I was asked to do multiple collections on the way down to Smethwick.

Other than the height difference between DPD double and single deckers what is the difference between doing multidrop in a double decker and single deck trailers? They’re both 45 feet long and 8ft wide. I would imagine that if you were doing work that would be done in one of the single deck trailers they’d just leave the floor down.

I’ve done multidrop at Howdens up to several drops a day with single deck trailers that are 16ft 3in high the same as double deckers, I’ve done it for other companies with double deck trailers such as Reed Boardall and several pallet network subbies. Pallet networks most certainly will have you using a decker during the day because they’ve generally got sod all else you can use.

I’m failing to see what the issue is. If it’s because you’ve not pulled deckers or they scare you sorry but there’s no reason not to use one other than physically not being able to get to a place because you can’t get the trailer under a bridge or similar and by avoiding using them you’ll never get used to using them which at a company like DPD where the vast majority of their trailer fleet are double deckers is going to give you problems. If you refuse to do it I think you need to take a good long look at yourself and decide whether driving is the job for you.

Conor:
I’ve never been asked to do multidrop deliveries but I was asked to do multiple collections on the way down to Smethwick.

Other than the height difference between DPD double and single deckers what is the difference between doing multidrop in a double decker and single deck trailers? They’re both 45 feet long and 8ft wide. I would imagine that if you were doing work that would be done in one of the single deck trailers they’d just leave the floor down.

I’ve done multidrop at Howdens up to several drops a day with single deck trailers that are 16ft 3in high the same as double deckers, I’ve done it for other companies with double deck trailers such as Reed Boardall and several pallet network subbies. Pallet networks most certainly will have you using a decker during the day because they’ve generally got sod all else you can use.

I’m failing to see what the issue is. If it’s because you’ve not pulled deckers or they scare you sorry but there’s no reason not to use one other than physically not being able to get to a place because you can’t get the trailer under a bridge or similar and by avoiding using them you’ll never get used to using them which at a company like DPD where the vast majority of their trailer fleet are double deckers is going to give you problems. If you refuse to do it I think you need to take a good long look at yourself and decide whether driving is the job for you.

I was only asking as im 5ft 3 & my depot decided that making money was the most important thing & has us all multi dropping to customers which abit of work im not bothered by but it was the access into the back of the trailer at ground height with the trailer having no grab rails & frigging my back up

AAMAR:

Conor:

I was only asking as im 5ft 3 & my depot decided that making money was the most important thing & has us all multi dropping to customers which abit of work im not bothered by but it was the access into the back of the trailer at ground height with the trailer having no grab rails & frigging my back up

If it’s got no tail-lift and no other way to get up without putting yourself at risk of injury you don’t get on the bed. Simple as that.

(quote) I was only asking as im 5ft 3 & my depot decided that making money was the most important thing & has us all multi dropping to customers which abit of work im not bothered by but it was the access into the back of the trailer at ground height with the trailer having no grab rails & frigging my back up
[/quote]
If your company doesn’t make money, how are they expected to pay your wages?

AAMAR:

trucken:

If your company doesn’t make money, how are they expected to pay your wages?

It’s not an excuse to put workers at risk of injury though. It’s very “two bit operation” and not what you’d expect from a larger firm IMO.

This is where overly zealous H&S can be used against a company. I’m willing to be somewhere in the induction you signed or were shown something about “three points of contact” so if that can’t be achieved through the lack of equipment or provision of the wrong equipment then to me that’s a breach of H&S at work 1974.

Whilst I’m no advocate of over the top H&S and rail against stupid nonsensical rules, I know of enough drivers with screwed backs/knees from jumping up and down from trailer beds over the years, including myself aged 39, that’s why I won’t get up on the trailer bed now without steps on the trailer. I’m not making my own health worse and putting myself where I could lose out financially on the sick just so that a multi billion company can save a few hundred quid…

I thought dpd were a ‘by the book’ kind of company, seems their book is lacking a page or two.
Where i work its forbidden to climb onto the back of a decker & you will get sacked for it & not be the first to be!

AAMAR:
I was only asking as im 5ft 3 & my depot decided that making money was the most important thing

How do you think your wages and the running costs of the company get funded?

& has us all multi dropping to customers which abit of work im not bothered by but it was the access into the back of the trailer at ground height with the trailer having no grab rails & frigging my back up

From memory they used to have a grab ■■■■■■■■ the inside of the trailer and I used to use that, face the trailer both getting in and off the trailer and treat the floor and the lifting floor like steps.

Get some fold up step ladders, £25 from Argos for a small set which will solve all your problems. Bring it up with HR, they may even pay for them.

Conor:
Get some fold up step ladders, £25 from Argos for a small set which will solve all your problems. Bring it up with HR, they may even pay for them.

If it was a small outfit I might agree with you; but we are talking about one of the big players in UK parcels transport here.

If he’s got to use steps to access the trailer, thee are multiple H&S implications; Working at Height regs, the steps would have to be checked regularly and tagged, and a SSOW put in for when he’s using them.

OP needs to speak to the H&S manager about this. With all due respect to him the fact that he is “vertically challenged” should not prevent him from doing that kind of work; it’s up to the company to sort it out not him.

AAMAR:
Hi all
Im trying to find any DPD Double Deck linehaul drivers on here that could answer me if they have been made to do Multi Drop deliveries in them & if you have ever refused to do it

As far as Im aware NO DPD trailers of any sort, do multi drop of any kind. Vans deliver parcels, not artics.

Ive done a run where I did 2 COLLECTIONS from customers using a double deck trailer. You arrived, and they loaded it. 2nd customer put the deck up as they then filled the bottom. I had barely anything to do with it, bar making sure the door was shut at the end!

Whats your height got to do with it? Im 5’4 and pretty fit, so climbing in and out of a decker isnt a problem. There is a strap to hold onto, the lower deck even acts like a step if you are going onto the top deck in the down position. If you are still struggling, why not lower the suspension as far as it will go, if you cant get in after that I think you are lying and you are an EWOK.

Swordsy:
if you cant get in after that I think you are lying and you are an EWOK.

BAHAHAHA!

Sheer bloody opportunism…just cos he’s shorter than you! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I once heard a driver at Hub 3 complaining about multi dropping coz they asked him to drop some pallets at Kiddicare on his way to Amazon Peterborough :smiley:

I’m a short a**e myself and have never had a problem climbing on to the back of a PHV. As long as that strap is in good condition and you’re of reasonable fitness I don’t see much of a problem with it.

Sidevalve:

Swordsy:
if you cant get in after that I think you are lying and you are an EWOK.

BAHAHAHA!

Sheer bloody opportunism…just cos he’s shorter than you! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Hey I dont get the opportunity often!!

Conor:

AAMAR:
I was only asking as im 5ft 3 & my depot decided that making money was the most important thing

How do you think your wages and the running costs of the company get funded?

& has us all multi dropping to customers which abit of work im not bothered by but it was the access into the back of the trailer at ground height with the trailer having no grab rails & frigging my back up

From memory they used to have a grab ■■■■■■■■ the inside of the trailer and I used to use that, face the trailer both getting in and off the trailer and treat the floor and the lifting floor like steps.

Why should he pay for his own equipment to overcome a health and safety failing? Also if he fell from his own equipment he would struggle to get any compensation.

Vamdabidozie

AAMAR:
Hi all

I often get asked if I’m d/d trained & just say no ( I’ve pulled at a guess thousands ) but I wouldn’t get paid any more so I’m not volunteering , give it to there own drivers