Are fuel brands really different to each other?

NP300 Navara and we use key fuels.
We can use them card at Morrisons, but when I do the Navara drops the miles to gallon a fear bit. Go back to BP and euro garages, bang back up the around 40 to the gallon after after around 25 miles.
Tyred this more than once and the same happens.
Cheers Welly

Welly Bobby:
NP300 Navara and we use key fuels.
We can use them card at Morrisons, but when I do the Navara drops the miles to gallon a fear bit. Go back to BP and euro garages, bang back up the around 40 to the gallon after after around 25 miles.
Tyred this more than once and the same happens.
Cheers Welly

The fuel at Morrisons is really weak. I noticed a big drop in MPG when I use their fuels which is very rare now.

neilg14:
Back in 1980, I worked on tankships running coastal
to Immingham, Milford Haven, Pembroke, Falmouth, Plymouth, Amsterdam etc. Carrying petrol & diesel and we might load at an Esso and deliver to Shell or load at BP and deliver to Esso.
I was told a few times that it was all the same stuff for each company.
We never put the additives in but use to put the red dye into diesel when we left port, it was amazing how little dye was used, can’t recall exactly but it was something like about a gallon every 100tons.

Seal Sands Storage and Simon store fuel for everyone. I think the only difference is the additional bits they put in for different clients.

BUT! I have got it in my head that my motorbike [emoji965] was quicker when I used premium fuel.

The Shell/BP terminal at Hamble, between Southampton and Portsmouth, is supplied by a pipeline from the ESSO Fawley refinery. I daresay some different additives are used but in this case Shell is, or was, ESSO fuel.

I used to use supermarket fuel all the time never again not after what it has cost to have the car repaired with all the carbon built up and dpf blocked been advised to use shell from now on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I bet these “additive” tanks at the loading terminals are just big vats of Redex or Millers if you were to analyse the ingredients.

I use V-Power on my current petrol Focus ST and there’s absolutely no doubt at all that the throttle response is more perky and “willing” vs running on standard unleaded. There is a negligible increase in mpg too which partly offsets the higher price but round my way all the garages seem to have joined forces and all charge between 11 and 14p per litre over the base price which ■■■■■■ me off considerably when it was a fairly constant 8-9 ppl last year. :angry:

The V-Power diesel over standard diesel has the same difference in throttle response too, plus the added benefit of keeping your engine clean so I saw it as a preventative maintenance cost of not having to worry about running issues from clogged up EGRs or inlet manifold/swirl flap problems. And it worked as advertised too as I never had any issues in 8 years despite most of my journeys being short and with the engine rarely getting up to optimum temperature.

I reckon that putting a squirt of Millers (or eqv.) in yourself would do the same job, but it’s such a hassle with modern cars and the stupid anti-syphon devices on the filler neck. I’m sure it would be work out cheaper than using V-Power but who knows if the additive is as powerful? You might think you’re saving money by using a separate additive with standard unleaded but if the additive is only half as “strong” as the V-Power additive then you’re not actually saving anything. It’s something I’m looking at doing because I’ve reduced to only using V-Power every couple of fills now due to them taking the ■■■■ on price.

Back in the day, my old man always advocated filling up with fuel from a garage which had a high turnover, since you were less likely to suffer contaminated fuel; probably still good advice.

As for the effectiveness of additives in branded fuel; IMO it’s more likely to be noticeable in older vehicles or performance-oriented ones. My 1979 Harley ElectraGlide certainly runs better on premium fuel whereas the 1988 BMW doesn’t seem to notice any difference. One thing I certainly can vouch for is that modern fuel doesn’t stay “fresh” for as long as it used to, probably down to the increased ethanol content.

A fuel tanker driver said to me exactly that, to use high turnover forecourts where possible.

Rob K, I also find Shell V-Power to give me the most noticeably different drive. I also do the premium thing every few tanks to keep costs down.

Someone once told me engines can get ‘addicted’ to Redex. Don’t know if that’s true or how it would work.

Petrol and diesel are just oil fractions, which is effectively a commodity. The only difference between fuels has to be additives and impurities. As the base fuel seems to be shared among retailers, I guess the whole thing boils down to additives, which apparently are added at load time.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Costco fuel. They sell Premium Diesel and Premium Unleaded. Raw fuel is, I understand, bought from Greenergy (part of Tesco) and they add their own additives on site. Been using it for a couple of years believe it makes a difference in power, smoothness and economy, especially older vehicles. (I am talking 1996 truck here, and 89 petrol car :slight_smile: )

Price in Ellesmere port last Friday was £1.207 for premium diesel (INC VAT) and £1.219 for premium unleaded (INC VAT).

The premium unleaded works really well in small tools, lawnmowers etc. too.

I wonder if anyone has done any serious research over what fuels are better as a car ages?

I suspect that the fancy fuels might become less effective a lot quicker in ageing fancy cars than the bog-standard fuel economy does on a more mundane car. :bulb:

…There are a lot of us that never have to use adblue for starters! :sunglasses:

manski:
Surprised nobody has mentioned Costco fuel. They sell Premium Diesel and Premium Unleaded. Raw fuel is, I understand, bought from Greenergy (part of Tesco) and they add their own additives on site. Been using it for a couple of years believe it makes a difference in power, smoothness and economy, especially older vehicles. (I am talking 1996 truck here, and 89 petrol car :slight_smile: )

Price in Ellesmere port last Friday was £1.207 for premium diesel (INC VAT) and £1.219 for premium unleaded (INC VAT).

The premium unleaded works really well in small tools, lawnmowers etc. too.

I would use Costco fuel, but the nearest site to me with petrol is Oldham. :frowning: They don’t do fuel in Leeds unless it’s changed since I was last there a few years ago.