Are fuel brands really different to each other?

Lee1976:

m.a.n rules:

Lee1976:
I’m a fuel tanker driver and can confirm that the base fuel is the same for all garages, branded and non-branded. The difference is the additive injected at the point of loading. Supermarket fuel generally doesn’t have additive added which is why it is cheaper. Branded fuel usually have a summer additive and a winter additive which have different benefits according to the seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this, also when i was on the petrol the additive system went down and we had a man putting it in manualy and if i recall correctly it was 5litres additive to every 2500 litres fuel.

5 litres additive to every 7000 litres of fuel for BP Ultimate!

the figures i was quoting were in the 90’s so with progession that make’s sense.

The base fuel is the same the additives ar added at point of loading . Some of the premium brands have additives that make the fuel burn slower so in turn will use a little less. But most cars are set up via the ecu for the lowest quality fuel . Have it remapped and it will tend to want the better quality fuel

chester1:
The base fuel is the same the additives ar added at point of loading . Some of the premium brands have additives that make the fuel burn slower so in turn will use a little less. But most cars are set up via the ecu for the lowest quality fuel . Have it remapped and it will tend to want the better quality fuel

If the fuel burns slower you’ll need less?
How does that work?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

NWM:
if i go to the esso garage down the road, £30 will get me around 145-150 mile give or take, whereas if i go to shell one it will get me around 160mile. might just be coincidence but i always seem to achieve a higher mpg going to the shell one of the same money to the same places

Its a case of ■■■■ and see really. As the additives are different across the brands, it’s a case of using one that suits your particular car. The main aim of using additive is not to improve mpg but it’s obviously a consequence of having a cleaner and more efficient engine ie it can prevent your fuel filter from clogging up especially in winter if you run a diesel car due to the anti-waxing agent in the additive.

wanderingstar:
Is what they put in any different to putting in a fuel additive from a bottle? Would you be just as well putting in supermarket fuel and a squirt of Miller’s or something?

The trouble is getting the ratio correct, too much will make it run rough. A lot of car manufacturers don’t advise using it.

TiredAndEmotional:
When I was a boy…we had 2 ** petrol which had an octane rating of 93 up to 5***** with an octane rating of 99, if memory serves me correctly.

It was all about the lead content in those days.Now the octane ratings are obtained by use of other additives.In general given a decent compression ratio the difference in performance is the amount of timing advance which the higher octane allows.These days controlled by engine knock sensors connected to the ignition divers in the ECU,or just high and low octane settings.But it didn’t/doesn’t matter in the case of low compression engines.The Rover V8 being a good example in that a high compression version needed at least 4 star,even better allowing more ignition advance with 5 star,but the low compression Range Rover version would run happily on 2 star and no need for anything better.While my senses and the Jag’s straight through exhausts suggests that there is definitely an edge in using V power v Ultimate.The Germans also have some 100 octane + options but the word is they’ve got some evil additives,including loads of ethanol,in them which can wreck older type fuel delivery systems.

Lee1976:
The trouble is getting the ratio correct, too much will make it run rough. A lot of car manufacturers don’t advise using it.

Yer that’s interesting, my car manual just says use bog standard fuel, not premium (Mondeo Mk3 TDCI). I wondered why when I read it. Maybe that’s it.

Putting high octane petrol into a low compression engine will achieve nothing, as Carryfast correctly says. A high compression (for petrol) engine will “pink” or suffer from “pre ignition knock” if running on low octane fuel.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

When I had my Type R, Honda specified that only use “Premium quality” fuel. I had to fill it up once with billy bob basic supermarket guff and there was a noticeable difference in engine performance.

Radar19:
When I had my Type R, Honda specified that only use “Premium quality” fuel. I had to fill it up once with billy bob basic supermarket guff and there was a noticeable difference in engine performance.

My eldest son’s the same with his WRX. It runs like a dog with the cheaper fuel.

Radar19:

I only put 99 in my motor, used to be Shell but put Tesco in one time and it seemed to run smoother so I use tesco mainly now.

Have never and will never put anything other than 99 in it.

Someone who I went to school with has a Nissan GTR that he constantly posts about on Facebook.

He uses this fuel for it.

vpracing.fr/racing-fuel-vp- … 032610.cfm

Only €120 for 19l :open_mouth:

wanderingstar:
Is what they put in any different to putting in a fuel additive from a bottle? Would you be just as well putting in supermarket fuel and a squirt of Miller’s or something?

Carlsberg probley better

BMW Bike dealer mechanic advised me to never put supermarket fuel in my motorbike because it has caused lot of engine issues!!!

My Wife has a diesel car…and she swears blind, that when she put petrol in it…it runs like ■■■■…then conks out… :smiley: :smiley:

truckyboy:
My Wife has a diesel car…and she swears blind, that when she put petrol in it…it runs like [zb]…then conks out… :smiley: :smiley:

But how else will we learn.

ESSO Diesel premium +, my car runs far smoother, quieter, and more MPG on this fuel than on TESCO’s or ASDA, it is dearer but you get what you pay for.

I frequent Tescos, but I’d rather drink RBOB than put that “Momentum” rubbish in my car again. Conked out when coming to stop at at traffic lights for WEEKS after the last time I filled up with that crap! :imp: :imp:

Back in 1980, I worked on tankships running coastal
to Immingham, Milford Haven, Pembroke, Falmouth, Plymouth, Amsterdam etc. Carrying petrol & diesel and we might load at an Esso and deliver to Shell or load at BP and deliver to Esso.
I was told a few times that it was all the same stuff for each company.
We never put the additives in but use to put the red dye into diesel when we left port, it was amazing how little dye was used, can’t recall exactly but it was something like about a gallon every 100tons.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. For some reason I find this subject really interesting and it’s been great getting so many different angles from users and deliverers. Lee1976 thanks for the tips on Miller’s. A message I seem to be getting on this thread is a lot of it is engine-dependent.