Are all security guards dixs?

Got to my first drop at 6 am, 1 pallet only, delivering to a big plant. Only to be told by the security guard " you need to go round the back to get tipped mate…erm you might be a while tho, a tanker has just started to discharge and that usually takes an hour!" I asked if I could be tipped up here by one of at least six fork trucks I could see flying round. He looked at me as if I was mad and said
“oh no, their the rules”
So I got my one pallet off, and now I’m sat here like a prize pr!;k… Common sence ah… No wonder the country is ■■■■■■

I deal with a lot of Security guards, generally they fall into one of four catagories (Night shift this is)

1- Perfectly alright, good to have a laugh with
2- Get you on and off site as quickly as possible, so they can go back to sleep
3- Make everything as awkward as possible, just to make themselves feel good about doing a job a trained gibbon could
4- The wannabe Police officer, just because they have a uniform and some power.

Luckily, most of the ones I deal with are in class’s 1 & 2

He’s only trying to do his job, but I find the older the security guard the more friendly they tend to be, on average anyway.

You say he’s only trying to do his job, but even the fork lift driver round the back was supprised he sent me down here. He’s probably just a sad old man who get emence satisfaction from [zb] people about!

One of the best “put downs” for a security guard I read on here was " you’re only here because you’re cheaper than a padlock !! " ha ha quality !! :laughing:

CSM bake mark or some such in Bromborough, the old guy on days is an absolute ■■■■■ I tried the door to the hut as the very small window seemed a forlorn hope and I couldn’t see if there was anywhere there and he comes flying out like his pants were on fire and I was a total inconvenience saying this door isn’t for “drivers” use the window. As if his whole job isn’t just accepting deliveries… :unamused:

The driver generally makes the situation worse.
Give the guy on the gate a bad attitude, and no doubt theyll give you grief, or the run around. Give the guy on the gate a smile, a "good morning fella" or some other positive greeting without the attitude and youll be suprised what miracles can happen

peirre:
Give the guy on the gate a bad attitude, and no doubt theyll give you grief, or the run around. Give the guy on the gate a smile, a "good morning fella" or some other positive greeting without the attitude and youll be suprised what miracles can happen

^^ This…

Don’t think I’ve ever had any trouble with security in years, some are dicks, but most seem ok to me, but I’ve been on containers for years with my truck kitted out for lots of time sat around, this helps because I just dig lappy out and start watching a film

I keep the english to a minimum (still being polite) for the first few seconds until i’ve sussed them out if there cool I have a laugh and a joke. If my paperwork is wrong or whatever excuse it is this time out comes the finnish and forklift impressions. Most of the time they’re ok though. :slight_smile:

Silver_Surfer:
CSM bake mark or some such in Bromborough, the old guy on days is an absolute [zb]. I tried the door to the hut as the very small window seemed a forlorn hope and I couldn’t see if there was anywhere there and he comes flying out like his pants were on fire and I was a total inconvenience saying this door isn’t for “drivers” use the window. As if his whole job isn’t just accepting deliveries… :unamused:

I feel so much better for reading that. I used to think it was me. I hated that ■■■■■■ place. Either tipped in 5 minutes or 3 hours - for 2 pallets.

Not all of them no.
There was a lad called Dale who was one of the guards at ABP Shrewsbury.Anyway one day I dropping a trailer and this bloke comes over to me and starts bollicking me saying you cant drop that there,I’m H&S and have the power to ban you etc etc.
As this is going on Dale is phoning the office upstairs and explaining to managers that I’m getting a hard time and the way he is speaking to me is unacceptable.Long story short,Dale stood up for me and this H&S bloke gets suspended(he has a history of attitude),not sure if they sacked him.

Dale isn’t with us now but RIP brother and thanks.

I don’t react to them if they’re arsey anyway, let 'em get on with it, once they know you’re effectively ignoring them and passive as it gets, they usually get bored & shut up.

Conor:

Silver_Surfer:
CSM bake mark or some such in Bromborough, the old guy on days is an absolute [zb]. I tried the door to the hut as the very small window seemed a forlorn hope and I couldn’t see if there was anywhere there and he comes flying out like his pants were on fire and I was a total inconvenience saying this door isn’t for “drivers” use the window. As if his whole job isn’t just accepting deliveries… :unamused:

I feel so much better for reading that. I used to think it was me. I hated that [zb] place. Either tipped in 5 minutes or 3 hours - for 2 pallets.

We collect from there every day and never have a problem, dont even go to security as they just open the barrier up for us. Usually in and out in under an hour for a full load of frozen.

having done both sides i agree with pierre, i know there are alot of little hitlers about but from my own experience some drivers used to take out their problems on gate security, if the driver was having a bad day on the road the first person they came into contact with was the gate security, so all the agression annoyance spilled out, ive been on the recieving end many times but to be fair most came back through and apologised,

ShropsBri:
Not all of them no.
There was a lad called Dale who was one of the guards at ABP Shrewsbury.Anyway one day I dropping a trailer and this bloke comes over to me and starts bollicking me saying you cant drop that there,I’m H&S and have the power to ban you etc etc.
As this is going on Dale is phoning the office upstairs and explaining to managers that I’m getting a hard time and the way he is speaking to me is unacceptable.Long story short,Dale stood up for me and this H&S bloke gets suspended(he has a history of attitude),not sure if they sacked him.

Dale isn’t with us now but RIP brother and thanks.

ABP Shrewsbury… great for POA and a long long break!! Security is OK; it’s the donkeys on the bays that are the problem :exclamation: :exclamation: :angry: :angry: :exclamation: :exclamation:

8 out of 10 are rather stupid but that’s the worst you can level at them… anyone that is happy sitting in a hut/gatehouse all day/night opening a barrier/gate then closing it again has to be a bit slow or you’d go barmy surely? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i wonder why they dont entrust the drivers to do it themselves if it is that easy?

yes there are muppets but you come across this in everything, its a job at the end of the day, you don,t know the reasons why these guys are doing this idiotic job as you call it!

yes there are the wannabe coppers which to be fair the industry could do without, but some problems are caused by the site managers who literally blame everything that happens on security, which is why some gatehouse will follow the site rules, wether you think they are stupid rules or not, probably find the security think the rules are stupid too but there you go.

but as said go in there with an attitude, and you will be treated differently to someone who goes in ok.

“CSM bake mark or some such in Bromborough, the old guy on days is an absolute [zb]. I tried the door to the hut as the very small window seemed a forlorn hope and I couldn’t see if there was anywhere there and he comes flying out like his pants were on fire and I was a total inconvenience saying this door isn’t for “drivers” use the window. As if his whole job isn’t just accepting deliveries…”

don,t know the spot or the guys but what would have happened if security guy climbed into your truck without knocking or asking first?

Truckulent:
8 out of 10 are rather stupid but that’s the worst you can level at them… anyone that is happy sitting in a hut/gatehouse all day/night opening a barrier/gate then closing it again has to be a bit slow or you’d go barmy surely? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There is 1 in Hull oldish guy really pleasant he is just topping up his pension had a good natter with him not so long back really helpful it was the forklift driver who was the prob

But he dont just open the barrier /close said barrier

agreed animal,

some are topping pensions up, ect, when i was a security manager we had lads who were at uni, but only had to attend a couple of times a week so they did this job which on nights allowed them to do a bit of studying, 1 lad very talented artist and was at art college at the time as well as working for us, did alot of designing and art work for walking with dinosaurs…

others like my own dad were made redundant from a job/skill that was not wanted anymore and were too old for any serious retraining ect, (my dad was a foundry manager/chief patternmaker) some guys actually look after their loved ones during the day as they can get care to put them to bed but not stay with them all day…