Are all 7.5 tonners 5, 6 speed manual and automatics?

are all 7.5 tonners 5, 6 speed manual and automatics or are there split and slap over gearboxes for 7.5 tonners too ? i have a c licence so i was wondering is it exclusive to the heavier rigids.

They are more so likely to be automated manuals these days than not but not to say all are, older vehicles are more likely to be still manuals, but the last company I worked for hiring 7.5 tonners the newer ones were automated manuals much like newer C and C+E were.

thank you for your reply. have you ever seen a 7.5 tonner with a split gearbox ?

i worked for a company a couple of years back on agency that had a range change on the gearbox

thats awesome. thank you for replying.

Even 71 plate MAN’s are 6 speed manuals at ours, no AC, nuffin!

Just checking, you did notice the original question was about 7.5 tonners not C rigids?

I personally have never seen a 7.5 tonner with anything other than a 5 or 6 speed standard straight gearbox, never ever a range change even back in the 2000’s, not saying they have never existed but I personally have never ever seen one.

There are plenty of smaller C rigids ranging in weight from around 10 to 15 ton that often look as small as a 7.5 tonner that had range change gearboxes before they all started to go to automated manual gearboxes. But usually you could tell if it was a 7.5 ton or C by the size of the wheels as anything 10 ton upwards had slightly larger wheels than a 7.5 tonner.

As my question above refers unless I am mistaken and have never seen one, but in my experience since early 2000’s when I first started driving C1, I have never seen a manual range change, in fact even when I passed my C licence we had a Iveco 18 tonner and an MAN 18 tonner and both also had standard 5 or 6 speed straight manual boxes but they were L reg and P reg vehicles and a long time ago but I think they were both 6 speed from memory :joy:

It was only many years later on that I first came across a range change box in a C rigid. And then some years later I noticed the shift to automated manuals in pretty much every truck.

Unless cooper1203 was refering to C rigids.

I would absolutely be interested to see if a 7.5.tonner existed that had a range change, but I can’t see that a range change would ever have been needed on what is essentially a glorified van in reality.

I’ve driven 7.5 tonners with 6speed gears