Are Agency Drivers Self Employed?

This may sound like a daft question,but for someone who has only ever worked as an employee the world of the Agency driver is something of a closed book.

As an Agency driver, when you get the call and turn up at the customers site to drive his/her truck for the day or whatever period they need you, are you effectively employed by the Agency or self employed. I am thinking specifically about the Tax and NI that is obviously payable and who sorts it out. Would the agency disclose it to HMRC and deduct tax accordingly or does the driver do it?

Cheers. M.

It depends on your terms with the agency.

As a general rule you are PAYE with the agency and get a normal wage slip less TAX and NI at the end of the week following the submission of your timesheet.

There are some agencies taking people on as an employee of their own LTD Company or Umbrella Company.

Check the terms with the agency when you sign up.

Dean

dar1976:

As a general rule you are PAYE with the agency and get a normal wage slip less TAX and NI at the end of the week following the submission of your timesheet.

There are some agencies taking people on as an employee of their own LTD Company or Umbrella Company.

Dean

Thanks Dean, just want to make sure I get it right, don’t want the tax man chasing me :laughing:

iDriver:

dar1976:

Dean

Thanks Dean, just want to make sure I get it right, don’t want the tax man chasing me :laughing:

He will whatever you do :frowning:

4whatitsworth:

True, but I will be less inclined to run away if I have already paid him :laughing:

iDriver:

4whatitsworth:

True, but I will be less inclined to run away if I have already paid him :laughing:

If you go down the umbrella route there is the distinct possibility you won’t have paid him enough going by some posts on here.

Hello IDRIVER
I am with PML accounting they invoice the agents they pay them and I get whats left over LOL ha but its not too bad mate I fill in an expences form every saturday post it off with any receipts I have . I can claim a £5 meal allowance / fuel to and from the job / clothing ie safty boots ect / in fact anything that i buy for my Job the reciept goes to the accountant and he workes it all out . Or like coffeeholic says :open_mouth: I Hope he workes it out :open_mouth:

I’ve Learnt the hard way Agencys are more going for the Umbrella thingy its a good way for them to screw the E.U Laws by classing you as self Empoloyed so they dont have to give you all the work benifits like holiday pay,sick pay, fair wage

Most agencies now will push drivers to go down the umbrella or self employed (Ltd Co) route - they can then dodge the new rules, plus they dont have to calculate & manage your tax & NI payments which means they cut their overhead (wages & bank charges etc).

I’m self-emplyed anyway so it’s never worried me

Hmmm Sounds like I am going to have to find out about the whole self employed status then :confused:

Mark

I know of a couple of agency’s that will not touch you unless you are Ltd or under an umbrella, then again there is one local agency who will not touch you IF you are Ltd/umbrella. As said elsewhere, agy’s that don’t want PAYE avoid certain overheads and dodge AWR. My feeling is that more agy’s will push for non-PAYE workers for those reasons.
Life just gets more complicated…

mkb600:
I know of a couple of agency’s that will not touch you unless you are Ltd or under an umbrella, then again there is one local agency who will not touch you IF you are Ltd/umbrella. As said elsewhere, agy’s that don’t want PAYE avoid certain overheads and dodge AWR. My feeling is that more agy’s will push for non-PAYE workers for those reasons.
Life just gets more complicated…

makes sence for agencys they make more dosh if they pay you less thats why they pushing people into self employed then they dont have to pay you holiday pay penshion bonuses and whole load of stuff the full timers get.
its worse when you know little about being self employed and dont want to be.
like me

I joined an agency yesterday which I’m hoping will get me some work.

It’s the first one I’ve been to that classes my coach driving years as experience so fingers crossed I can get a break. The guy there reckons he can get me work with a class1 rate of £11ph.

Anyway, it’s a small agency, no website and deals with several hauliers in my local area. They basically class you as self employed under an umbrella group.

Reading what’s been posted in the threads on here and being probrably over cautious I have givien it some thought and decided that whatever I earn I’m considering putting either maybe a quarter or a third away just incase the taxman thinks I’ve not paid him enough. Does anyone else on SE/umbrella do this and if so what is a “safe” percentage to hold on to?

Always been PAYE as coach firms don’t tend to take agency workers and I’m new to the whole concept of umbrella accounting firms.

I been speaking to my lawyer today on my Ex-agengy I was on.
and he thinks the whole AGency umbrella thing could be illegal and/or if it isn’t it should dam well be! as they loop hole their way out of AWR rules by classing you as self EMployed I felt like I had no leg to stand on and I felt like an outcast to the company I worked for! and i got wage slips and my NI and TAX was automaticlly deducted So i see that as Employment not self Employment so I will be pursing this further as I was forced out of work on low hours and low Income.
INLAND REVNUE here I come!
Agencys be aware! I am on to you!

I do it as a sole trader.

This way you get to keep about half the VAT on the invoices sent to Agency.
Its an extra £1.00 an hour for me.

Steed007:
I been speaking to my lawyer today on my Ex-agengy I was on.
and he thinks the whole AGency umbrella thing could be illegal and/or if it isn’t it should dam well be! as they loop hole their way out of AWR rules by classing you as self EMployed I felt like I had no leg to stand on and I felt like an outcast to the company I worked for! and i got wage slips and my NI and TAX was automaticlly deducted So i see that as Employment not self Employment so I will be pursing this further as I was forced out of work on low hours and low Income.
INLAND REVNUE here I come!
Agencys be aware! I am on to you!

Did you claim for your travel, meals, laundry, training, ppe etc.

aranger:

Same; plus all “business” expenses go through the books. Plus work I do outside of agencies, ie as a direct subbie, I negotiate my hourly rate, so under-cutting them.

Herongate:

aranger:

Same; plus all “business” expenses go through the books. Plus work I do outside of agencies, ie as a direct subbie, I negotiate my hourly rate, so under-cutting them.

can u give me more info on how to cut out agencys altogher ty