Arched bridges causing more chaos

Said it before and I’ll say it again they need redesigning , the full span needs to be of set height not a few feet in the middle , £1.3 million later and there still not listening to me , I actually sent a letter in to the Grantham journal detailing how to stop a lot of bridge strikes ( height needs to be full span of bridge ) , yes you’ve guessed it not published

The problem is that arched bridges that cross roads are all old and replacing them all would cost a fortune.

I cannot understand why they can’t just knock them all down, they are all old anyway.

any excuse those that can drive without hitting bridges do, (arched or otherwise) those that cant, teach (as the saying goes)those that cant without hitting bridges, the bridge is not moving the vehicles are moving, the truck in the picture is not even aligned with the guide markings. get a grip fellas, I don’t see many female drivers hitting bridges, and there are a lot more of them than you imagine.

UKtramp:
I cannot understand why they can’t just knock them all down, they are all old anyway.

Thought that was Stobbies object … :wink:

raymundo:

UKtramp:

Thought that was Stobbies object … :wink:

It is in your contract, three strikes and your out :wink:

dozy:
Said it before and I’ll say it again they need redesigning , the full span needs to be of set height not a few feet in the middle , £1.3 million later and there still not listening to me , I actually sent a letter in to the Grantham journal detailing how to stop a lot of bridge strikes ( height needs to be full span of bridge ) , yes you’ve guessed it not published

As a more viable alternative, truck drivers could learn how to drive their trucks?

Is it that bloody difficult to line up a truck between two marks?
The road is frequently marked as well.
It isn’t as if we have multi-range gearboxes and so on to contend with any more, all we have to do is steer the bloody thing.

dozy:

Well, not really. What needs to happen is for HGV drivers to stop attempting to drive under bridges which have insufficient clearance for their vehicles to pass beneath. It’s not rocket science.

If they just sorted the bridge on the high Dyke so trucks not going into Grantham could by pass the town it’d alleviate loads of hgv congestion and bridge issues.

Blaming the bridges for accidents is as daft as blaming the trucks. :unamused:
It’s neither to blame, it’s the incompetence of the drivers that hit them that is the culprit.

Y not build arched trucks, problem sorted

Is that the bridge where you go through at an angle rather than 90 degrees to the railway, near some traffic lights? Couldn’t find the railway marked on Google maps crossing the road.

Does look like that truck was seriously pushing the height limit even for the allowed limit, although if it’s the one I’m thinking of I’ve aborted and gone down the other road even with a trailer a few inches lower than the limit due to the angle.

Simon:

dozy:

As a more viable alternative, truck drivers could learn how to drive their trucks?

It isn’t as if we have multi-range gearboxes and so on to contend with any more, all we have to do is steer the bloody thing.

Spot on.

We must be nearly at the bottom of the barrel now, Christ knows what the next dumbed down batch of wheel attendants will be like, enough of the present mob terrify the life outa me already

trevHCS:
Is that the bridge where you go through at an angle rather than 90 degrees to the railway, near some traffic lights? Couldn’t find the railway marked on Google maps crossing the road.

Does look like that truck was seriously pushing the height limit even for the allowed limit, although if it’s the one I’m thinking of I’ve aborted and gone down the other road even with a trailer a few inches lower than the limit due to the angle.

He’s either come down wharf road and gone to go to the left up harlaxton road / or come round by next and then heading straight up harlaxton road

Accident prevention , yes those two words were always hearing , to prevent that accident all you have to have is a bridge that is at its maximum height for the full span , zb me take a few bricks out and you save £1.3 million pounds .
The problem is I’m just a thick lorry driver not some local Tory toff , so my suggestion / letter gets binned .
Next week the road will be shut as theyl be spending more of my council tax om more bloody warning signs , knock barrowby / harlaxton rd bridges down and rebuild them as full height span bridges :exclamation: :exclamation:

I’m not condoning the driver here but it can often be a fault of management.
When I was FLT driver someone just started driving a 7.5t he had no idea what the height was so asked management who told him we don’t know but don’t worry there are no low bridges in your area/route. Few hours later he comes back with a crushed truck.
In the ideal world you would refuse to drive it unless you knew the height but in the real world you would know if you didn’t drive the truck they would get someone else and you have to feed your kids and pay your bills. When people are living hand to mouth its not so easy to be picky and play by the rules.

A tape measure costs what a couple of quid, probably Poundland do one that would suffice, to reach the top of the vehicle just attach the end of the tape to a stick with a bloody nail or even sellotape, job jobbed a height stick that cost you exactly £1.

adam277:
I’m not condoning the driver here but it can often be a fault of management.
When I was FLT driver someone just started driving a 7.5t he had no idea what the height was so asked management who told him we don’t know but don’t worry there are no low bridges in your area/route. Few hours later he comes back with a crushed truck.
In the ideal world you would refuse to drive it unless you knew the height but in the real world you would know if you didn’t drive the truck they would get someone else and you have to feed your kids and pay your bills. When people are living hand to mouth its not so easy to be picky and play by the rules.

So he drove a high truck and did not know what height it was, he comes up against a low bridge, and it did not occur to him to use caution on approach, maybe get out and look, and avoid any contact with it.
Or maybe he just didn’t see it eh.
And you’re sticking up for him, and passing the blame to his boss? :open_mouth:
Come on mate ffs, there is no excuse for thick.

In the ideal world you would refuse to drive it unless you knew the height

Perhaps that’s where the problem is. I thought the driver was supposed to know,using a measuring device :open_mouth:

Simon:

To be fair road markings are better because it’s easier and more familiar to judge vehicle width at ground level and they can also be checked on the mirrors.Unlike totally blind lines overhead.But having said that he seems to have missed the lines on the bridge by a country mile and then some.