Approaching Firms to Give CV

For those who’ve done this, how did you go about it?

Redone CV along with cover letter so now going to go round firms handing it in.

Did you try and get to see Transport Manager or hand into reception and hope it gets to TM?

Feeling most receptions will like doctors and have to be incentive to get past them.

Any tips or heads up before I head out bootlegging myself!

Go for family firms where you can get to see the guy who hires and fires. First impressions are vital. All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t worry if you can’t get past the receptionist. At Aspray 24 I wasn’t even allowed through the gates, the receptionist came to collect my cv through the railings. The TM phoned me up a week later asking if I was interested

Not sure on the covering letter what’s got to be
In it

Peter Smythe:
Go for family firms where you can get to see the guy who hires and fires. First impressions are vital. All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thats the best bet, but don’t be afraid to go for the bigger places too, especially those who carry their own goods.

Keep CV’s with you but only hand them over if requested, you don’t want every tom ■■■■ and harry poring over and disecting your personal info.

Lots of companies, mine included, have realised that in another 5 to 10 years the mainstay of their driving force will be retiring, so are looking for good people to replace them, attitude appearance politeness the way you approach is everything, by cold calling they see how you would approach their customers if they employed you…this cold call approach got me where i am now.

Thanks for replies - I intend going round as many as I can, weather permitting ! Snowing like crazy

Digit369 - Cover letter is simply a speculative approach saying I’m interesting in a driving role and wonder if your company has a vacancy blah blah, CV attached etc.

Normally used when posting or emailing tbh. I’ve done one just in case I end up posting a few for when I can’t get in.

These I’ve put into envelopes addressed to Transport Managers and I’ll use them for when cant hand in person to the managers

Hopefully I’ll get something back as I want ️nights either A to B or multidrop I don’t mind and with luck they might be struggling to get ️night drivers.

If your going in to visit it removes the need for a cover letter as you are there in person.

That’s what I meant, it’s there for when I can’t speak and hand CV to transport manager in his/her hand.

I prefer to get to at least see them then far easier to express what I’m after in those 60secs than any piece of paper can!