Approach Speed....

Hi All i have my Cat C training starting Monday with Avon driver Training in Bristol. Thanks to this forum i feel really confident on most aspects of the training, however something i would like a bit of advice on is what gear/s to engage on approach to roundabouts/junctions in order to keep the truck rolling but not too fast… would you need to go into low range or stay in high etc etc?

unfortunatley that is not something you can predetermine.
there are way to many factors involved to give a correct answer, the best advice i can give is to listen to your instructor he will know the roads, one thing i will say is you want to be slowing down way before you think you need to and always be prepared to stop. if you dont need to stop then it is a bonus

loopyjuice:
unfortunatley that is not something you can predetermine.
there are way to many factors involved to give a correct answer, the best advice i can give is to listen to your instructor he will know the roads, one thing i will say is you want to be slowing down way before you think you need to and always be prepared to stop. if you dont need to stop then it is a bonus

Definitely. And x10 when you’ve got a 27 tonne load on the back… :laughing:

ALWAYS! plan ahead :wink:

Thanks for the advice i read somewhere that unless the junction/roundabout is real open plan you should be looking to do 5 - 7 mph, but also i read that 9/10 times you won’t need to use the low range gears if you keep the truck rolling. The second bit of info means that i was being told that you could be in 5th gear as that’s the first gear in high range and still be doing 5-7mph. Could someone just clear up for me wether you do use low range whilst still rolling or wether it’s best to stay in 5th?

mainer:
Thanks for the advice i read somewhere that unless the junction/roundabout is real open plan you should be looking to do 5 - 7 mph, but also i read that 9/10 times you won’t need to use the low range gears if you keep the truck rolling. The second bit of info means that i was being told that you could be in 5th gear as that’s the first gear in high range and still be doing 5-7mph. Could someone just clear up for me wether you do use low range whilst still rolling or wether it’s best to stay in 5th?

I don’t think there’s any answer other than ‘it depends’ - on the truck and the junction. But that’s why you’re having lessons - your instructor will give you guidance about this stuff.

Personally I think most of the firm advice given on here about specific gears is a load of rubbish - it’s so dependent on the truck, the load, the gradient, the traffic. What you actually need to know is how to decide on the right gear and then how to select it - that’s really no different to driving a car, and I don’t think anyone does that by remembering a whole lot of gear numbers.

Don’t fret about it - it’s going to be much easier and much more fun than you think…

I’ve driven four over four gearboxes only on my lesson. So most of the time I’m cruising to an island in either 7th or 8th. I will come down to the gears depending on speed of traffic/lights, normally like to approach in 5th. Then either carry on in that gear if clear. Or drop to 4th if I’m slowed down on approach. If Im stopping then it’s 3rd. Big islands can be done in 6th though.
You’ll know what to after your 1st lesson. It will become 2nd nature.

As others have said, there is no set answer.

Importantly, no matter whether you are on a straight road or a roundabout your driving should reflect :

A) as far as you can see

B) the surroundings.

So if you are approaching a blind busy roundabout then you should definitely be slowing enough to prepare to stop.

If you are approaching a light controlled roundabout and you can see that it’s just turned green then you should (with caution) keep with the flow.

Hope this helps.

When I was learning I was told NOT to downshift (habit I picked up from driving old Land-Rovers) just apply brake pressure. They do they want you to do it well in advance, probably you will need to start slowing down a lot sooner than you would think. I was told I could drop into 7th right at the time I was about to turn, but that advice only really applies to that truck…was quite hard for me to get used to using only the brakes to slow down, I used to use brakes and gears together. Now they say its cheaper to replace brakes than clutches…