Apprenticeship or paying yourself?

Hey guys, recently left my job as I was completely fed up and I have decided to try and become a class 1 driver.
My enitial idea was to just pay for the training my self, but a few people (who aren’t actually drivers) keep saying I should try to get an apprenticeship to save money, but would this actuallly be the case? Would I not end up working for them on a lower wage for longer and it not actually working out cheaper in the long run?
Just looking for some advice!
Cheers

I paid for all my training. I’m not bound to any company because of it. I recently left a job where I was really starting to get ground down, because I paid for all my training myself I could just walk out the door. I’m now at a much better place where they care about their drivers.

I’ve just passed mine in February and paid for it all myself, companies like the fact that you’ve saved up the money cos it shows your keen to get into the industry… more likely to give you a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling something an apprenticeship doesnt make it one. A company that pays for your training will want some return on their investment. Youll probably have to sign a contract promising to repay all costs if you leave within a certain time. As the other 2 replies say, paying for it yourself gives you freedom to move, and also shows enthusiasm.

Have to agree with all the others, like them I forked out the ££££’s it was to get all my own training etc. Pure fact was I didn’t want to be tied to some crud company making me work all hours in potentially crud conditions with crud management and exceptionally crud wages to go with it. You’ll be free to go wherever you like.

Another vote for paid for it my self !
As said if company pays your the bosses whipping boy for 2-3 years
If you pay for it you can tell them to Zb them self’s

Do you detect a theme developing throughout these replies?

Franglais:
Do you detect a theme developing throughout these replies?

Let me guess PAY FOR IT YOUR SELF ! :question:

Haha thanks everyone for your help. Think it’s pretty clear which option is best!!!

They are your balls OP, so do you want to be holding them or giving them to someone else for a few years? :laughing:

Plus do the maths mate. (Based on a guess…)

Let’s say it’s 3k to get both Class 2 & 1, and the boss cuts your wage for 2 years by a quid.

So that’s £50 a week x 104 weeks, equaling £5,200

Obviously you may get a better or worse deal than that, and you’ll have the security of assured work each week. But work isn’t hard to find once you get over the initial experience phase of a couple of months, and if you don’t like the work you’re being given, it’s easy to move on. Just ask me or the Beaver! :laughing:

UselessForce:
Have to agree with all the others, like them I forked out the ££££’s it was to get all my own training etc. Pure fact was I didn’t want to be tied to some crud company making me work all hours in potentially crud conditions with crud management and exceptionally crud wages to go with it. You’ll be free to go wherever you like.

Pretty much me in a nutshell too. Every penny myself,so if they take liberties you’re free to do one.

Radar19:
I paid for all my training. I’m not bound to any company because of it. I recently left a job where I was really starting to get ground down, because I paid for all my training myself I could just walk out the door. I’m now at a much better place where they care about their drivers.

That’s the best way.

You really don’t want to be tied down to a two year contract with a firm you end up hating.

I’d rather be paying a loan off then end up stuck in a job like at my last place. Sod that.

Edit: Unless you can get trained up by Samworth Brothers or a company with a good reputation like them then it’s definitely worth paying for it yourself.

These train people up from car to class 1 and then once passed you’re on same salary as the other drivers. Bar the old school ones on old contracts.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Doing it through a company is always 2nd best to doing it your self although there’s nothing wrong with it just do your research, 2 years is a long time if you end up not liking your employer but on the other hand if it turns out good then the 2 years will fly by

Go for the apprenticeship…! There’s loads of companies out there who don’t tie you down what so ever… & I am sure you would rather not pay a penny yourself… Google TRAC go on their website and have a browse. :')!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pay yourself any day,as already said gives you freedom to go where you want.
If you go the apprenticeship route and you hate the job,they can take the ■■■■ everyday and you are paying them back everyweek for the privilege don’t think so.

Better to pay everything yourself, no loans etc.
Save up and proceed. That way you hold all the cards , & are not tied into the payback scenario, via low wages as an inexperienced driver, & with the tie in of a couple of years to the company.

Even if you have to save separately for each part, it would be the better way. Loans have an expensive interest rate , & hold you in debt longer.

Pay yourself.
Now I have to state I am not a financial advisor, nor am I qualified to give financial advice. But I paid for mine on a 0% purchase credit card and had 20months to pay it off before I started to pay interest!

It’s what I did and is in now way advice! It just worked for me!

Just to add that, at the moment, there’s some very good 0% cards about to anyone with a sound credit history. Clearly the way forward.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That’s everyone for your advice. Just a quick on Pete, I know some company’s offer 0% finance options for training, would this only be available for people that have a current income? Cheers