Applying for operator licence, external TM question

Hello, this is my first post on here, so far I’ve found all the info I need using search function but im struggling with this one.
We are farmers and due to a change in farming policy we have spare time on our hands so looking to generate some extra income. Dad used to run his own wagon a lot of years ago and I’ve driven as casual for Reed Boardall. So we are going to buy our own tractor unit and trailer.
The problem I have is the need for a qualified transport manager to get your operators licence. I dont plan on buying the outfit until I have the operators licence and I’m planning on doing the operator cpc exam in March. As everything takes an age to apply for I would like to get the ball rolling… but how?
If i wait until I’m a qualified TM to apply for the OL it could realistically be end of June/beginning of July before we can get going which seems a long way off.
If I seek to employ an external TM now I could get the application sent off but I begrudge paying someone £50/week(the going rate from what I have read) especially when I expect some weeks the wagon wont leave the yard. If I employ an external TM now to obtain the OL would they expect payment whilst im waiting for the OL to come through or will payment only start once I have a wagon bought and actually start operating?
Any suggestions on the best way to get the ball rolling is much appreciated!

Tom

As a CPC holder I definitely would expect payment regardless and as for £50 per week, not a chance in hell. Here’s why, the days of external TMs looking after multiple fleets is long gone, it’s now something like 5, so if acting as a TM for yourself, thats one day I cant work regardless of whether any vehicles leave the yard. By the same token, your £50 per week equates to £250 per week assuming I was acting for additional companies and I for one wouldnt risk my repute and qualification for that. I also believe DVSA expect you to pay a certain amount anyway if you employ an external TM.

Whatever the cost of employment maybe, would the TM want paying from when the application from is submitted? Or when the business actually begins to operate?

Tom

From when the O licence is granted

I have been an external TM for over 25 years, and I have never taken payment until the licence is granted. Also you can only act for four operators maximum, and 50 vehicles in total.

I only start to charge an operator from when the licence is granted, but from what you say, you are going to take the CPC examination yourself, so the External TM would in fact be a name only until you got your CPC. This would be somewhat unfair on the External TM as he wouldn’t get paid anything.; assuming you pass the CPC Exam.

Maybe you could come to some arrangement at a reduced fee, but I don’t think anyone would do it for nothing, knowing now what you have said.

It might help if you also mentioned the area your operating centre will be in, and someone on here might help you out.

Thank you for your replies, we’re just outside of York location wise. I suppose what im asking is just for a name to then proceed with the OL application. I now appreciate through further reading and your replies that this is unfair of me to ask of an external TM when it will limit any other work they can do.
I’ll just have to knuckle down and study for the cpc exam. In the grand scheme of things a few months isn’t long to wait.

Regards
Tom