Applebys Wolverhampton

I have had a few pictures kindly sent me by Joanne, Mervyns daughter, to post on here, a Maudsley with a young Mervyn or his brother Roger standing by it?

Saviem:
Evening all, now then, in between the sileage, (and repairing some unmentionable German kit, that should never , no never ever, have been sold to any farmer), and having on going computer problems…(we will be with you in 72 hours)…good job they are not in the lorry business…

Appleby…dear old Mervyn…(and I am truly sad if he has gone to those pearly gates)…“where do you want this tipped brov”!

First meeting, in his semi detached , along Blackhalve Lane Wednesfield, around 1970…(despite dire warnings from my “management”), to avoid Mervyn like the plague…me the Buckaneer, found myself drinking tea in his front room, overlooking “Brindleys Fields”, (the ancestors of the present Brindley Motor Group). …What were we discussing…the acquisition of a new Atkinson Defender / Wilcox bodied bulker 8x4…(mainly because Fodens would not supply Mervyn with 8x4s due to demand)!

“Please Mervyn, if I get it for you…will you promise to pay for it”■■..that sort of (pleading), question may seem odd to the modern “professional” Truck Salesman…but that is the way it was back in the 60s and 70s…“.but I need finance”…a few phone calls, (his telephone)…then more tea…sandwiches…and around 2.00pm the “victim”… a rep from Forward Trust arrrived…take Mervyn through the documentation…then the signatures…on his…and my docs…and away around five…(you cannot believe the disbelief from my bosses…but e ordered the chassis from Walton Le Dale)>

6 Weeks later…Mervyn , in full eloquent flight is berating me…(why me)…about the inadequacies of the Atkinson Lancastrian rear spring set up…(and he of course was right…for no Atkinson 8x4 was ever the equal of its Foden rival)…for that poor Defender was supposed to come up the Heads of the Valleys just as quick as his Fodens…and those of you who know , realise what an impossible task that was…Horace Kendrick knew well the set up for that “Rally Course”, and it was Foden…no other!!!

But I had taken Mervyn`s “shilling”, …(Forward Trusts pound)!!! So I was to get it in the neck…and I only lived around the corner…

Long time before both Pete, and Dan are refering to…but I liked Mervyn…both through his ups and downs…and he had a few trailers off me…

But please Mervyn was never ever Wolverhampton…his yard was Bloxwich, right on the border of New Invention and Bloxwich, right by the “new” M6…

Gentlemen, you have given this “old man” cheerfull memories…you should have heard what he called me!!!

Cheerio for now.

And here is the motor Saviem was talking about above!! Credit for photograph to Joanne, Cheer’s Pete

Cheers Pete :smiley:

Bedford TK on coal round, good load on her!

Commer auto bagger,

Sed Ak, after Saviems time at Rylands I think,

ERF parked outside Mervyns house!

This may have been the first series 2 Scania, I can remember BHA 142Y a V8 bought 2nd hand from Maguires of Cheltenham,

Another Seddon Atkinson.

A00030.JPG

DEANB:
Another Seddon Atkinson.

Nice one Dean, Thank you, Pete

Pete the above Atkinson would be the very one that backed in to my uncles 8 wheeler A series Erf on coopers weightbridge in smethwick ,mervyn wouldn’t pay out ,after a short while my Dad had a full set of drums and shoes for his Atki same as above on mervyns account , after some weeks he said Jeff when are you going to pay me ,he said when you pay Doug for the damage to his Erf , mernyn called him some zbs but saw the error of his ways .

cheers Pete that 141 looks brilliant .

pete smith:
Ex Appleby’s, not my pic will remove if requested,

East of Eden ?

Punchy Dan:

pete smith:
Ex Appleby’s, not my pic will remove if requested,

East of Eden ?

Could be Dan. whats the reg on this pic, looks like a K reg but I cannot remember seeing any streamliners on a K plate ?