Appeals court repeals new HOS, Govt to appeal?

New trucker rules overturned by court

Friday, July 16, 2004

BY LESLIE MILLER
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - A federal court on Friday threw out new rules extending the amount of time commercial truckers can drive between breaks.

The rules, issued in December, allow truckers to stay on the road for up to 11 straight hours, one more hour than they had been allowed. But they also required drivers to take at least 10 hours off between shifts, two more than before.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia wrote that the rule changes were arbitrary and capricious.'' The court said the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the agency that imposed the rules, failed to consider drivers’ health in the slightest,‘’ as required by law.

freep.com/news/latestnews/pm … 040716.htm

Well guys, the DOT etc are likely to appeal this, and we’re told to carry on under the new HOS until an appeal is lodged.

Comments?

Firstly nothing on Earth could persuade me to drive for 11 hours without a rest, HELL :exclamation: I wouldn’t drive the 10 hours without stopping either.
We all thought this 14 hour thing would mess us up, but after working it I find it easier, especially as with a sleeper cab we can still split our breaks with the first break being of at least 2 hours and so exten the working day to 16 hours. the only drawback with is is that the second break sleeper break has to be booked entirely in the sleeper, which means that even at the depot I am supposed to be in the sleeper and not go home for 8 hours.

Of course I follow this rule to the law :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: