Apologies

To all the drivers kept waiting by the numpty trying to get onto bay 9 at Bidvest, Banbury yesterday 13th…it was me :blush:

Poor defence but…this was the 4th time i’ve driven an artic since my test pass in early July and the 1st time i’ve been faced with a tight reverse onto a bay. You all made it look so easy…I despise you all :smiley:

My thanks go to the lad who came to my aid and talked me through it, finally getting me onto the bay after 14 shunts :blush: :blush: and thankyou to the guys who came up afterwards with lots of encouragement (one guy pointing out how I reminded him so much of his early days!) the loadies were very patient as well.

…will I ever get this right? I know it didn’t make the best use of the available space but I wonder if i’m putting on too much left, and keeping it on too long, when I start going backwards :open_mouth:

Tazbug

It will all come together. It takes time. I am still not perfect but am a lot closer to being less nervous about reversing.

Glad you had supportive colleagues around you. It goes a long way to building confidence.

Tazbug:
To all the drivers kept waiting by the numpty trying to get onto bay 9 at Bidvest, Banbury yesterday 13th…it was me :blush:

Poor defence but…this was the 4th time i’ve driven an artic since my test pass in early July and the 1st time i’ve been faced with a tight reverse onto a bay. You all made it look so easy…I despise you all :smiley:

My thanks go to the lad who came to my aid and talked me through it, finally getting me onto the bay after 14 shunts :blush: :blush: and thankyou to the guys who came up afterwards with lots of encouragement (one guy pointing out how I reminded him so much of his early days!) the loadies were very patient as well.

…will I ever get this right? I know it didn’t make the best use of the available space but I wonder if i’m putting on too much left, and keeping it on too long, when I start going backwards :open_mouth:

Tazbug

That is normally the problem, so many new drivers do it and it makes it so much more difficult,

When the trailer starts to go, you have to follow it with the unit keeping it as straight as you can.

Well done for not givin up mate :slight_smile:

In still struggling but I’m getting better at the reverse.

It’s nice to hear about the other drivers helping out. I’ve had so much help and advise from others it’s really good to see.

Thanks Wheel Nut, what you suggest has already made a difference to the way I will think about this for next time! I’m convinced i’ve still got the techniques for the test reverse firmly implanted in my small brain and can’t see past it. I think that I will try to see if I can get an opportunity to practice (next run, stop in a MSA and play for 10 mins) and use your technique.

Tazbug

I’ve been in constant work the last three weeks (since my licence coming back after passing my test), and I’m still hopeless at reversing. It’s hard for me to practice anywhere as I never seem to have the time.

I’ve paid for three hours reversing lessons which I’m having tomorrow, which hopefully will improve my reversing.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Been in that situation,
It will come, I’ve been at it a few weeks now and it’s almost there, I find my instincts are correct but my brain over-rules and I then end up all over the place, like you too much left for too long :blush: . I suggest whenever you can find an excuse to safely reverse do so, whether it’s between parallel lines, following a kerb round a bend, straight back etc. A couple of pointers handed down to me: Only watch one side, obviously keep checking for obstacles and numpties on the other, get your ‘references’ on that side only and watch the trailer wheels not the trailer, preferably by sticking your head out the window.

I’ve found reversing from differing angles (especially if you go to a regular drop with plenty of space) helps get your ‘eye in’.

Watch out for slopes that go down to the bays, if your reversing using mirrors only you’ll be there all day, the trailer seems to have a mind of it’s own, pivot point changes, and the illusion in the mirror from level to slope just frazzles the brain. UPS in Dewsbury has 2 different angles and I really struggle there :blush: .

If your blind-siding use the n/s mirror :open_mouth: , no that’s not what I meant, what I mean is, that little joystick on the drivers door (if fitted) use it to move your mirror so it follows the trailer.

As I’ve said it’ll come, don’t try and rush it no matter who’s having to wait, I’ve been at it 6 weeks or so and I’m improving every week, I’m finding I don’t have to turn the wheel quite as much, I’m picking out that all important starting point. And when it does go wrong I’m not so bothered about pulling forward and starting again, usually from a better angle :wink: .

Good luck Taz.

Oh how I sympathise :wink: ,

The other week driver that was 20 mins behind me getting to depot was on his bay and pulling his card as I finished my reverse onto bay lol , but thats what ya gotta do , laugh and relax and as long as you dont hit anything then jobs a good un :wink:

by the way didnt take me 20 mins in that time had to find out which bay i was to park on too (honest ! )

jen x :smiley:

Tazbug:

Hi Tazbug,

It takes some guts to make a post of this type, so RESPECT. :sunglasses:

The fact of the matter is that an experienced driver doesn’t always get on a bay first time, so it really doesn’t matter whether it’s your 4th time or your 4,444th time.

If we’re all honest, we all did exactly what you did when we had the same amount of experience, because nobody was born with the ability to reverse an artic.

Reversing an artic is therefore an acquired skill.

Acquiring a skill takes time. :wink:

I did a day last week where I had to reverse onto 5 different bays - 4 of them were reversing round to the right, and I nailed each one of them without too many worries. The fifth one I had to just go in a straight line backwards - could I do it? Could I hell! I must have had 5 or 6 different shunts before I got on, even then it was a little bit on the wonk (running out about 6" over the length of the lorry compared to the white line marking the bay). Just have those sort of days now and then…

Gary

No apologies needed there,some of those bays are tight and making sure you don’t rip the front off the wagon on the high kerb in front makes it exciting too.
Good lads there at Banbury though,turned up with a couple of pallets of lettuce at some rediculously early time before the 6am chill intake and they still took it fair play.

scaniason:
I did a day last week where I had to reverse onto 5 different bays - 4 of them were reversing round to the right, and I nailed each one of them without too many worries. The fifth one I had to just go in a straight line backwards - could I do it? Could I hell! I must have had 5 or 6 different shunts before I got on, even then it was a little bit on the wonk (running out about 6" over the length of the lorry compared to the white line marking the bay). Just have those sort of days now and then…

Gary

Remember it’s not an olympic event that you’re looking for marks out of 10 from judges for. If the axles are between the yellow rails on the ground (assuming they’re there) and the back-end is in vaguely the middle of the canopy they’ll be able to tip you no problem even if you’re at a bit of an angle the flap they put over on the bay is usually pretty forgiving.

Another general point (not in response to the above post) I was going to make is try not to turn reversing into some big ‘thing’ that you dread having to do or avoiding it by trying to get runs where you know it will be easy. That’s how you end up parking in the wide-load bays in services the whole time.

Own Account Driver:

scaniason:

Gary

Remember it’s not an olympic event that you’re looking for marks out of 10 from judges for. If the axles are between the yellow rails on the ground (assuming they’re there) and the back-end is in vaguely the middle of the canopy they’ll be able to tip you no problem even if you’re at a bit of an angle the flap they put over on the bay is usually pretty forgiving.

Another general point (not in response to the above post) I was going to make is try not to turn reversing into some big ‘thing’ that you dread having to do or avoiding it by trying to get runs where you know it will be easy. That’s how you end up parking in the wide-load bays in services the whole time.

Oh, I’m not in the least bit worried about it - I do the opposite, I look forward to a bit of reversing! Our yard is a bit tight, and means reversing at least twice to get turned and parked up - I love the challenge!

Gary

Thankyou for all your words of encouragement and support…been away a few days with no internet access!

My 1st mistake was worrying about the high kerb at Banbury, I gave it too much space and subsequently left myself a bloody awful reverse onto the bay. I must admit, I got back to the yard and abandoned the unit as I had lost the confidence to reverse it onto a bay :frowning: …I haven’t driven since but may have a few days coming up, not feeling too good about it but I know i’ve got to get back in and have another go. I have enquired about a half day reversing course and will probably book that as soon as I can…if just for a confidence boost!

One problem I have is that I don’t get behind the wheel that often so it will take me some time to ‘get my eye in’. Having read your posts I do feel much better about keeping going and defeating the nemesis :open_mouth:

Stay safe

Tazbug

We all feel empathy for you, as we have all been that route !

One way I work out how to reverse into a bay is to visualise the smooth curve that you take when you leave the bay. If you can re-create that in reverse, it will save all the snaking around.
Also I was taught that if you set yourself up right and halve your turn it makes it easier. What I mean is approach reasonably close to the front of the trailer/tractor already in the other bays. Then you head away to the left and get the trailer onto that departure curve, finishing up with your tracotr also in that curve. You should then be able to just follow it back straight into your bay.

See if you can get a shift shunting in a depot once you get a bit more experience. By the time you have done a couple of 12 hour days doing nothing but shifting trailers you will be ready for anything.

One technique that I had to learn once I started delivering to supermarkets, was to spin the whole lot around in a yard between all the detritus and then you just reverse straight back.

I know it sounds easier than it really is, but you will get it over time. Keep us posted :wink:

Just set yourself up for loads of practice whenever you can, empty industrial estates, lorry parks etc.
Resist the mistake of keeping the lock on too long.
90% of a reverse is planing & setting it up before selecting reverse.
Most importantly, if in doubt - get out and look (GOAL)

I’ve just started doing some occasional work for an agency on behalf of Arla Foods at Hatfield Peverel - had my first run yesterdat taking milk to some Asda stores across East Anglia. I think my reversing developed more in that one shift, than it has done over the last 4 months! Getting in and out of some of the stores yards, as well as wriggling around Arla’s yard itself, really gets you thinking about how to get where you want to be!

It was nice having a fridge trailer on the hottest day of the year - getting in the back when it’s 2 degrees in there and 35 degrees outside - didn’t want to get out again!

Oh, and I will say thanks to both Harry Monk and Switchlogic (Luke) for their recent tutorials on fridges - made life a lot easier on my first experience with them.

Gary

IRONY = 14 shunts in an empty yard is just “practice” and on the “job” training. 14 shunts with an audience is HELL. :cry: :wink: :laughing: