Anyone with a TGX full auto artic?

On the later MAN TGXs (61 plate for example) that are full auto with no manual mode, is it possible at all to permanently turn off the auto retarder when pressing the brake pedal? When you’re on local roads you really do not need the auto box dropping you down 3 gears at a time so that the rev needle shoots up to 2000 rpm and then nearly launches you through the screen :open_mouth: when the retarder kicks in again. I just want to slow down gradually, not have the sort of braking power than one would require going down the Mont Blanc with 26 tonne on. I can’t see anything in the settings and the stalk button only disables/enables it for a brief second before taking over again. :angry:

The earlier models with manual mode (11 plate for example) do not have any auto retarder when pressing the brake pedal (even in auto mode) and are 1000x much more pleasant to drive (in fact I do rather like the big bouncy castles! :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: ).

Does it not have a button on the centre console? I had a 07 which did but I’m not sure about the newer ones

m1cks:
Does it not have a button on the centre console? I had a 07 which did but I’m not sure about the newer ones

There is indeed a rather large array of buttonage on the centre console but I don’t recall seeing anything useful there. :confused:

Just going OT for a moment, I did discover the hill hold button (for pulling away) and felt rather pleased with myself when I primed it on a hill at a set of lights I was waiting for to change. That lasted for all of 3 seconds before I found myself going backwards at an increasing rate of knots :astonished: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:, what the heck!? :laughing: I now know that one needs to keep the brake pedal pressed til ready. :laughing: :blush: :laughing: :blush:

(and Mr. Truckbling you can keep it buttoned before you start :smiling_imp: )

The light test function is good too but most don’t know how to use it

On the array of buttons on the console, try the 4th one from the left,top row. That`s where mine is on my 11plate.

dowahdiddyman:
On the array of buttons on the console, try the 4th one from the left,top row. That`s where mine is on my 11plate.

Are you sure? What symbol is it? Pretty sure that’s either the lift axle or air dump in the one I’ve been driving. :confused:

No manual mode, you mean the sleeve switch on the RH column stalk doesn’t switch it between manual/auto mode? whats the point in that?

Not good, haven’t come across one yet that doesn’t have manual override, they guzzle fuel if the driver leaves the auto box to it continually, oh well ignorance is bliss as many operators continue to prove.

Is the single button (max engine braking with auto downshift option) on the end of the RH column stalk disconnected too if manual mode is programmed out?

I should point out i’m regularly driving a 62 plate auto (narrow cab couldn’t tell you what the model is called) that still has full gearbox and braking options.

‘’‘The light test function is good too but most don’t know how to use it’‘’

agreed, but it doesn’t last long enough to check all the lights, switches itself off again after about 2 minutes.

Hope this photo works. press the button. it should stay lit. you can also still us exhaust brake when u need it by pressing small button on end of right hand stalk

rob.nixon:
Hope this photo works. press the button. it should stay lit. you can also still us exhaust brake when u need it by pressing small button on end of right hand stalk

Thanks. Pretty sure the one I drive doesn’t have that symbol because I certainly would’ve known what that does had I seen it on the console. I’ll have another look on Monday.

@ Juddian, yeah the collar thing doesn’t do owt. Must be another one of these stupid “eco” trucks.

Rob K:
@ Juddian, yeah the collar thing doesn’t do owt. Must be another one of these stupid “eco” trucks.

maybe it’s broke? or are others in the fleet like it?

stevieboy308:

Rob K:

maybe it’s broke? or are others in the fleet like it?

Yep. All the 61s are the same. :frowning:

You are looking for a picture of an engine in a circle with ( ) around it, it will also have the word AUTO written above/below it and a big X through the whole thing, press it to iluminate the yellow light and that is the auto exhaust brake turned off.

It could be that this is not fitted to your truck, might be an idea that the button on the right hand stalk is not stuck in, press it then it drops 2 gears and slows you down using the retarder alone.

EDIT: Just like the picture above… Doh!

Also, see if you can change gear using the stalk, if you can not do this then the chances are that the “Kickdown” has also been disabled and you cant to ZB with it that it does not want to do on its own

a competant and perfect driver like yourself would surely read through the drivers manual to familiarise himself with the buttons and switches.

and the hill aid button has being around in trucks for years, so how come you have only just discovered it.Theres always being hills in West Yorkshire.

Juddian:
Not good, haven’t come across one yet that doesn’t have manual override, they guzzle fuel if the driver leaves the auto box to it continually, oh well ignorance is bliss as many operators continue to prove.

ive recently been "promoted" to a 440 high top 4x2 which i permanently leave in auto. it does 9.74 to the gallon. all our MANs are getting very similar mpg(some are 6x2)oldest are 09…newest are 13.

btw…the high top version IS the best sleeper on the market :sunglasses:

commonrail:

Juddian:

ive recently been "promoted" to a 440 high top 4x2 which i permanently leave in auto. it does 9.74 to the gallon. all our MANs are getting very similar mpg(some are 6x2)oldest are 09…newest are 13.

Thats very good, i can get that on motorway running 44t always within a ton of max weight unless empty return, can’t match it on normal roads though, in full auto it was nearer 8 not surprising when even looking at a hill drops the gears and sends revs sky high.

What weights you running and what terrain?

Juddian:
What weights you running and what terrain?

to be fair…we do a fair share of light weight work out,but are generally heavy on return.
lots of south wales.
6x2s are heavy both ways....normally. we have some 12 reg scania 4x2s (440) that are getting virtually identical mpg.
my last truck was a low top scania 380…which struggled to beat 8 mpg

rob.nixon:

Thats the one, only on mine its the 4th button across. Just as a matter of interest,by the gear switch does it say profi,or fleet. If it says fleet then I think it is an auto only box.

usually bring steel back from Llanelli…coming down the hills on the m4,shell only drop into 11th...the retarder kicks in,and you hardly ever have to touch the brakes. ive not took her on the back roads yet(only had her a week)…but the scania would cook it`s brakes :open_mouth:

Mine has profi on the selector if this helps