Anyone use a JAK A BOX

Dose anyone know if Jak A Bx is still around? The website doesn’t work :-/

Think they are yes,
Workshop is on the road from Enniskillen to Kesh Co.Fermanagh NI. :wink:
Not sure of phone number though.

bumbleing around t’internet the other night i found these guys

jak-a-box.com

has anyone got one or used one?
the idea looks good but how do they work in the real world?

Go on the site, where it says why use a jak - a - box :wink: :wink:

Makes tractor unit much more versatile.
Allows unit to be used for may purposes with bodies interchangeable
Mounting / demounting takes just four minutes
Possible to demounted body fully loaded
14-15 ton payload on a 6 wheel tractor
Suits all makes of tractor unit
Built to customer specification
Increases business possibilities
Robust design for long life
Adds value to tractor unit
Ensures maximum vehicle & driver productivity
All requirements catered for
Can leave body on site
Reduces road traffic & CO2
No modification to tractor unit
Demount legs travel with vehicle

Hope this answers your question :grimacing:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Hope this answers your question :grimacing:

well not really, do you HAVE one? is this YOUR experiance or just a copy and paste from the website?
i would like to know first hand from someone who uses one what they are actually like to use.

it’s one thing taking the makers word for it, sinclair c5 anyone?

I dont have one but as part of my job is welding repairs to tipper bodies and various trailers i would have thought that unless you have your own job lined up they would be of limited use as most of the quarries round these parts insist on powered sheeting systems and also powered rear taildoors then you will want a reversing camera,motorway contractors stickers,flashing lights on the rear for deaf folk that cant hear the bleaper!!
payload will also be an issue as these things will be to short to get your weight on with a lot of products,if i am right arnt these things built by an irish firm where the" rules" are more lax to start with?
if i was you i would go the short trailer route, i have seen one or two recently that were bult whith 6/8 wheeler bodies on 20 ft skelly trailer chassis,these will carry far more payload and still get in a tight spot and also wont cost that much to build and also would sell better if no longer needed
just a thought moose

thanks moose, we could add an easy sheet and an auto tailgate. we would have the rear flashing beacons as a matter of course aswel as the reversing camera. we have our own supply of stone as we deal with recycled aggregates and crushed concrete so the quarry regs probably wouldn’t be an issue.

the boss is on about getting me a new 6 wheeler tipper AND a new stgo cat3 artic with a crane next year.
the tought of having a 6 wheel tiper with 600-700 bhp appealed to me.
this system would enable me to have a tractor unit to pull the artic lowloader AND a high horsepower 6 wheel tipper AND a crane lorry. if we were to have a drawbar coupling fitted we could vary the sort of things we could do at the same time and still be flexable.

hopefully someone one here has one and can give me their experiances of using the system.

My friends firm uses one, they go into tight farms quite a lot that can’t accomodate an artic so they use the jak-a-box. Saves them shedding out on a 7.5ton motor.

CIMG0262.JPG

■■■■ thought it was some sort of adult toy for blokes :laughing: .

King Contractors in Perth have an Volvo FM tractor that usually pulls a low loader but they have a tipper Jak A Box for it. I see it about once a month, maybe more but i only ever see it about once a month. Thats all i know but they seem to find enough use for it. Not sure what thay adds to the conversation but thats what i see :astonished:

A few small tarmac contractors have them here in NI, they are mostly used full time with the insulated tipper on the back as they are usually mounted on a daycab tractor unit and it means they have got a tarmac tipper for quite cheap money.
Mostly they would be “handlay” outfits though. :wink:

Can they make a Jakabox thats includes a crane behind the cab also :question:
Would have though this would make any load in the tipper VERY small and don’t know how they would mount the tipper ram as it usually stays on the tractor unit when the Jakabox is taken off. :confused:

I see they have both brick/machinery crane Jakabox’s but none come with a tipper box as the cranes are mounted at the rear.
You could get the boss to purchase both a crane Jakabox and a seperate tipper Jakabox and still have your 600hp base artic unit :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

There was a potato supplier in Horsforth,think it was Kemps,who had a flat body that fitted on the artic unit to do local deliveries,this was in the late 60’s.The boss had reg POT80 on his Jag.

A few firms here to ring from the website:
jak-a-box.com/testimonials.htm :wink:

Miskelly Bros a local quarry company have a tarmac Jakabox tipper on a MAN TGA unit, it takes the spreader/rollers out to the job early morn then comes back and puts on the tipper body and hauls a few load to the tarmac job before leaving off and coming back with the unit/lowloader to lift the tackle. :sunglasses:

Seems to work well but would not be justified payload wise if the job was some distance from the quarry. :frowning:

mucker85:
the tought of having a 6 wheel tiper with 600-700 bhp appealed to me.

Hmm, still only 90kph and it will only climb as fast as the 280 in front, be thankful it isn’t a 180 Gardner in front (30 ton 8 wheeler with a mini engine eh, those were the days…weren’t they■■?) :wink: :wink:

Another photo of it.