Anyone trained with goldstar or eddie stobart?

Hi guys, i wan to ask if anyone has done there LGV training with Goldstar in woolpit, you pay £1500 for your class c then the idea is they put you through your class c&e and employ you at the end. Sounds a good option has anyone used them and do they have their own inhouse examiner and do they have their own private test centre on site, like peter smythe does ? also does stobart have their own examiner and onsite text centre , were you would do your reversing excersize etc in their yard? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

I know nothing about Goldstar. But I do know a bit about ES. Yes, they have their own in house examiner and test centre on site.

I prefer not to comment further; choices are yours.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I know nothing about goldstar. But I know abit about ES and PS.

Firstly avoid any training which ties you into working for a company. Honestly avoid, avoid, avoid. I’ll explain why in a bit.

Here is my opinions.

I’ve spoken to a couple of young blokes who work for stobarts and they did their training with them. Neither passed first time. Neither would recommend it. I am not here to slate anyone. I’m just giving honest feedback and passing on what I’ve been told. Advice I was given was that they didn’t feel the training was all that great - and it’s more of an indoctrination process in all things stobart. Which isn’t all bad if all you want to do is work for them - but you are paying your money to have stobarts pushed down your neck.

I did my class 1 and 2 with PS. And I thought they were spot on. I didn’t pass my class 2 first time. I took three attempts. But that was down to me and not the training. I got nervous. PS are also cheaper for retests than stobarts from what I’ve heard. I have nothing bad to say about PS - in fact my little brother fancies doing a bit of part time truck driving so I’ve recommended them. Which is I think says an awful lot.

But there is an ever bigger reason to avoid companies that tie you in! (Which stobarts don’t) - which is money. If you own your licence and you control where you work you can go where you want. I’ve been called a liar for trying to promote jobs to members that pay so well that men who work for peanuts can’t believe it. But I am free to go where I want. Never ever get tied in. The minimum I will get out of bed for is £15/hour. And tonight I will be making £20.50 an hour. Stobarts are not earning that. Goldstar are probable not. Last week I did three shifts and today I was paid just over 700 quid. Those are real numbers. And you can only get them if you are in charge of where you work. I also can leave a company as my mood changes - which is a powerful thing.

Finally - good luck with your training. I have no regrets doing my heavy goods. I still enjoy going to work. I’m still learning. I think it’s a great job. I have found the sort of work I like. I have also found the work I don’t. If you have the right attitude there is both money to be made in driving, AND you can have an awful lot of fun doing so. If the day ever comes when I hate driving (like a lot of people on here seem to) then I will hang my keys up and never drive again - knowing I’ve paid for my training back and made a significant return on my investment whilst enjoying myself.

** I’ll add for completeness my rates are not typical of what a newpass will get. I’m in the right place and have got a bit lucky. But those rates are available for new passes. I’ve had my class 1 since 16th April and I’m doing it.

thanks guys for replying i think its a very good point about being tied in to a company, i just liked the idea of having their own test centre especially as you will doing your reverse were you train, and if i was succesful in passing both tests then it would be good to have a really good chance of being employed by ED or goldstar as this is what they offer, and i imagine it would be hard for a new pass to fing work without having to go down the agency route

Tonysull27:
thanks guys for replying i think its a very good point about being tied in to a company, i just liked the idea of having their own test centre especially as you will doing your reverse were you train, and if i was succesful in passing both tests then it would be good to have a really good chance of being employed by ED or goldstar as this is what they offer, and i imagine it would be hard for a new pass to fing work without having to go down the agency route

PS has their own reversing area. Where you do your test. ES does as well I think. So they are all the same like that. And yes it does help in my opinion.

Stobarts will employ you no matter where you are trained. They are desperate for drivers. Whether you want to work there once you find out what they pay is another matter.

Finding a job will depend on where you are based. I’ve been offered a few jobs without even applying and looking. I just did a few agency shifts and was asked. I also did apply for some blue chip jobs when I had my licence for about a week and they all got back to me offering me assessments. I did it as a test to see if getting a job was as hard as it was made out on here.

Right now supermarkets are going mental looking for drivers. They are subbing out work as well. Whether that will be the case after christmas is anyones guess. A lot of the EE’s are going home - which is causing some problems in the midlands at least.

Did class 2 at Pete’s and attempted class 1 with ES. Would definitely not recommend ES to anyone, there’s a reason Peters place is held in such high regard on the saltiest forum on the internet! Major regrets not going there for class 1 also

sammym:

Firstly avoid any training which ties you into working for a company. Honestly avoid, avoid, avoid. I’ll explain why in a bit.

Here is my opinions.

I’ve spoken to a couple of young blokes who work for stobarts and they did their training with them. Neither passed first time. Neither would recommend it. I am not here to slate anyone. I’m just giving honest feedback and passing on what I’ve been told. Advice I was given was that they didn’t feel the training was all that great - and it’s more of an indoctrination process in all things stobart. Which isn’t all bad if all you want to do is work for them - but you are paying your money to have stobarts pushed down your neck.

I did my class 1 and 2 with PS. And I thought they were spot on. I didn’t pass my class 2 first time. I took three attempts. But that was down to me and not the training. I got nervous. PS are also cheaper for retests than stobarts from what I’ve heard. I have nothing bad to say about PS - in fact my little brother fancies doing a bit of part time truck driving so I’ve recommended them. Which is I think says an awful lot.

But there is an ever bigger reason to avoid companies that tie you in! (Which stobarts don’t) - which is money. If you own your licence and you control where you work you can go where you want. I’ve been called a liar for trying to promote jobs to members that pay so well that men who work for peanuts can’t believe it. But I am free to go where I want. Never ever get tied in. The minimum I will get out of bed for is £15/hour. And tonight I will be making £20.50 an hour. Stobarts are not earning that. Goldstar are probable not. Last week I did three shifts and today I was paid just over 700 quid. Those are real numbers. And you can only get them if you are in charge of where you work. I also can leave a company as my mood changes - which is a powerful thing.

Finally - good luck with your training. I have no regrets doing my heavy goods. I still enjoy going to work. I’m still learning. I think it’s a great job. I have found the sort of work I like. I have also found the work I don’t. If you have the right attitude there is both money to be made in driving, AND you can have an awful lot of fun doing so. If the day ever comes when I hate driving (like a lot of people on here seem to) then I will hang my keys up and never drive again - knowing I’ve paid for my training back and made a significant return on my investment whilst enjoying myself.

** I’ll add for completeness my rates are not typical of what a newpass will get. I’m in the right place and have got a bit lucky. But those rates are available for new passes. I’ve had my class 1 since 16th April and I’m doing it.

Sorry to hijack a thread but I’ve seen you gloat / excite about the type of work and rates you get. Any chance you could share this info please?

htfc1984:

sammym:

Here is my opinions.

Sorry to hijack a thread but I’ve seen you gloat / excite about the type of work and rates you get. Any chance you could share this info please?

He’s self employed or umbrella whatever it’s called nowadays,taking home £700 a week given that it’s had no deductions taken from it is the same as taking £500 that has…so it’s aint all that!!

I trained with ES. No tie-in when I did it. I recommend it, for good facilities, good quality of trainers and 2-1 training. Own reverse area and own examiner.

If you think you’ll do better1-1 i don’t think they offer it and you’ll be better off elsewhere.

You have to pay extra for the bridge bashing course though!

xichrisxi:

htfc1984:

sammym:

Here is my opinions.

He’s self employed or umbrella whatever it’s called nowadays,taking home £700 a week given that it’s had no deductions taken from it is the same as taking £500 that has…so it’s aint all that!!

I’m part time and did 3 shifts. And my projected tax bill this year is going to be £0.00:

Anyway people should do what is best for them. I’ve pmd the guy who asked. I’m bored of the negativity now. Let’s all be friends.

slowlane:
I trained with ES. No tie-in when I did it. I recommend it, for good facilities, good quality of trainers and 2-1 training. Own reverse area and own examiner.

If you think you’ll do better1-1 i don’t think they offer it and you’ll be better off elsewhere.

thanks for replying, can i ask if you know if there is a high pass rate with them ? also did you get offered a job after ?

If we are to compare ourselves with ES it’s quite simple.

ES is a huge haulage company who do training as a tiny add on to their core business.

PS is a pretty big trainer. Full stop. We don’t mess with haulage and we wont offer you a job.

Let the hauliers haul and let the trainers train.

Peter Smythe:
If we are to compare ourselves with ES it’s quite simple.

ES is a huge haulage company who do training as a tiny add on to their core business.

PS is a pretty big trainer. Full stop. We don’t mess with haulage and we wont offer you a job.

Let the hauliers haul and let the trainers train.

Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Ive had a quick look on your website how much is your class 1 course? Ive been quoted £1150 for 18 hours and my test at end of the week with a local firm. Ive read the whole reversing part in this thread which got me thinking when i did my class 2 with this firm i went to an old industrial estate and he got some cones out back and placed them in position so its not perfect.

Im not to bothered because i believe in my ability to adapt to surfaces but i want to be trained properly.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CE is £1550 less 10%Trucknet user discount. So that makes it £1395. Includes free accommodation if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW. Your choice of weekend with test Monday or more spread out.

The fee is fully inclusive of 1:1 tuition, insurance, test fee, vehicle for test VAT etc etc etc.

For a further £270 you can take Pass Protection. This gives you a further three attempts at your test if you don’t crack it straight away.

With us, you train on the same concrete you’ll test on. We had the very first private test centre in the UK - over 10 years ago.

All our instructors are fully trained, registered and qualified - - more than most as no formal qualification is required. Only a driving licence.

You have a choice of drawbar or full size artic. Whichever route you choose, no old bangers. All really nice kit.

£200 deposit to book. Balance due 2 weeks before training.

Anyone is free to visit anytime between 0800 and 1700 Monday to Friday. No appointment required. Always a member of staff happy to show you around and explain what we do and how we do it.

If you ask, you may find one or two recommendations on the forum.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tonysull27:

slowlane:

thanks for replying, can i ask if you know if there is a high pass rate with them ? also did you get offered a job after ?

You don’t get a guaranteed job afterwards, however they do guarantee you an interview and will almost certainly take you on. You’d have to have a major attitude problem if they were to not offer you a job.

The only reason I didn’t take them up on their job offer (I did the assessment and got offered) was because Downton offered me a job and their depot was closer to home.

The pass rate didn’t even come into my decision to train with them. I wanted to go straight to class 1 tramping and not do agency work. Training with Stobart made that almost guaranteed.

Pete has an extremely high pass rate and an enviable reputation for quality training, as written by many newbies on here. The ES training school is big, have their own examiner and Test area and good modern vehicles… and they only train too… you’re not going to be sat next to a driver “filling in” between shifts :laughing: There are also plenty of other high quality trainers out there… any many more to avoid!

Take your time to select a training school that feels right to you, don’t pinch pennies for the sake of it and for ■■■■■ sake don’t use a broker!

The ES training school is big

Ours is bigger and has been established 30 years longer!!

I trained with stobarts - no issues and got through class 2 and 1 with no issues. There is no tie in and you do not have to work for them afterwards but they will guarantee you an interview.

I worked for them for 8 weeks before leaving to something better but it was a start. Best thin for me was how quick I started working. Passed class 1 on a Thursday and was on the induction course following Monday with a full time job.

Don’t let people put you off. Go with what is right for you.

Borrowed for FB