Anyone suffer from gout?

Only been back at work a week after a two week Christmas break,and have had to go to the doctor this morning because of gout.
I’ve been prescribed some tablets and am off work until Thursday.

Now I come to think of it,I’ve probably suffered from gout for quite some time without realising it.I can remember back in the early 90’s waking up some mornings in extreme pain in my big toe which,apparently,is the most common place to get it.

It is a form of arthiritis and is caused by an excess of uric acid in your blood,which then crystalizes in your joints,causing inflammation and severe pain.
I always thought it was just something that old men got (stop sniggering at the back!) but men can usually develop gout between the ages of 30-50.
It is not,as I thought,caused by excessive alcohol intake,in fact I rarely drink any alcohol these days,but can be caused by diet.
Eating too much oily fish,too much meat,in fact anything high in protein can bring on gout,as can cold weather too.

It is very,very painful and I can hardly walk,so it’s time to put me feet up for a few days.

This takes me back a bit…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p … ut#p112777

had an attack last week. Luckily i was still off work and it was cold outside so sitting with my foot up wasn’t too much of a problem! Back to the doc’s this week.

I know all about it had it for a few years.It’s even worse if you get it in your knees and ankles as well as your toe.I think it’s probably the nearest thing to being kneecapped with a .45 or having a truck drive on your foot and parking up.

KW:
Only been back at work a week after a two week Christmas break,and have had to go to the doctor this morning because of gout.
I’ve been prescribed some tablets and am off work until Thursday.

**Now I come to think of it,I’ve probably suffered from gout for quite some time without realising it.**I can remember back in the early 90’s waking up some mornings in extreme pain in my big toe which,apparently,is the most common place to get it.

It is a form of arthiritis and is caused by an excess of uric acid in your blood,which then crystalizes in your joints,causing inflammation and severe pain.
I always thought it was just something that old men got (stop sniggering at the back!) but men can usually develop gout between the ages of 30-50.
It is not,as I thought,caused by excessive alcohol intake,in fact I rarely drink any alcohol these days,but can be caused by diet.
Eating too much oily fish,too much meat,in fact anything high in protein can bring on gout,as can cold weather too.

It is very,very painful and I can hardly walk,so it’s time to put me feet up for a few days.

I’m confused…in the topic that is linked above, KW, you say that you have been diagnosed with Gout…this was in 2005?

keelman:
KW, believe me it WILL come back at some future date and it attacks all joints but usualy the toes.

There is a diet sheet for it but I don’t take notice of it

Well it took 5 years

Oh yeah! did I mention the Alzheimers too :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused:

i have had it off and on for ten years now and found that eating fruit causes it for me stopped eating that and not had an attack for the last 18 months

Robertthegreat:
i have had it off and on for ten years now and found that eating fruit causes it for me stopped eating that and not had an attack for the last 18 months

I’m getting conflicting info about what to eat and what not to eat.

The doctor yesterday said I should eat more fresh fruit and vegetables and cut down on meat,alcohol and dairy products.He also said the cold weather contributes to gout as well,which I can understand as everyone knows how much their toes and fingers hurt in extreme cold.
But,reading on t’internet,they say you should put an ice-pack on the affected area.

Anyway,the pain was unbearable in bed last night,so I’m off to see my own doctor tonight

KW Due to my problems with my one kidney I suffer from gout as well
over here in germany i get Allopurinol tablets and take one a day along
with all my other tablets , try looking through thisLINK-1
ALSO this LINK-2
LINK-3
get reading up on what you are allowed to eat as this will save you pain and stress with attacks
and get drinking fluids 2–3liters every day