Anyone started training in response to driver shortage?

Just wondered how many just started training after seeing the driver shortage news?

Nope, already planned to do class 2 then 1, which I did in May and June this year respectively.
The huge number of vacancies is a joy for a new passes at the moment. No shortage of jobs.
The 1-2 years experience requirement is seemingly out of the window these days, as I can attest.

My training has been planned prior to the first lockdown but has obviously been put on the back burner while all the muck hit the fan… it’s hopefully gonna work out better in reality as like the previous poster said, no shortage of work and the potential to get in where previously would o been hard without the experience… at least that’s what I’m hoping :slight_smile:

The driver shortage is what tipped me over the edge to start but I’ve been thinking about it since before all the CV mess started.-
With the ■■■■ show my current job has been I probably would have still done it even if there wasn’t the shortage.

Thinking of doing it for over 10 years, but what tipped me over the edge was after 6 weeks on furlough having time to reflect on life, and various wonderful events at work tipped me over to sending the licence off and go this isn’t what I want in life but I do want to drive lorries, I may live to regret it but I would have definitely regret not at least trying.

Haven’t started training yet - but just booked my medical and bought the theory books, so getting closer to taking the plunge! Definitely been thinking about it for a while, but pushed into making a move due to news of shortages.

I already had it in mind but the shortage and working on the front line of the pandemic pushed me to follow my dream.

Had wanted to do it already for a while. My work all but dried up during covid, so i got booked in and done my class 2 & 1 after another.
My work has picked up so have been picky with what jobs to apply for. And i have been successful in getting a job that im happy with the money and the type of work they do. Start at the end of August, really looking forward to it.

I’ve thought about it for a few years but never did anything. The current situation aside I got fed up with my existing career for unrelated reasons and took the opportunity to leave and start this!

JeffA:
Just wondered how many just started training after seeing the driver shortage news?

[emoji817] for me.

Been thinking about it for a while, but with the building trade being unpredictable at the moment it has given me a push.

Yup! It’s given me the kick up the backside to change career!

90% of these lads have walked already nailed on :laughing:

I can see that this forum is still thriving and seems like the best source of knowledge. I have had a couple of attempts at class2 training with Pete Smythe back in 2015. Failed road test 3 times and I had to give up as it seemed pointless to me as with each attempt I felt I was doing worse than before and the retests weren’t cheap.
I wasn’t from the area too so I could be a disadvantage. Never mind 6 years on and I am thinking about it again.

Is it really worth it? I heard about the shortages of drivers and better pay. What is mostly appealing is a car to class1 bridge. Since I have had a go at the rigid lorry in 2015. Ability to go straight to class1 and just grind it till I pass seems very attractive especially that you can go work on rigids to gain experience and move to class1 once a bit more experienced as commercial driver.

I have had a provisional licence and all medicals back then. Well I think i did pass the theoretical CPC as I was given a certificate or something but I guess it is all expired now and I have to re-apply for a new provisional licence.

Your provisional licence will still be valid unless you need a medical having reached 45 yrs or another significant birthday. An online licence check will confirm this.

You will need to pass all 3 theory tests again.

Our B to CE course is £2475 (allowing for Trucknet discount) and I recommend Pass Protection at £395. This covers the costs of up to 3 retests. Accommodation is still free as you live more than 70 miles away.

Alternatively, have another go at CAT C and gain some experience before making the leap to CE.

Take care, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Yes!

Just started a course that gives me H&S, Warehousing & Storage and Driving Goods Vehicles qualification as well as licence acquisition (Class 2 then Class 1 if passed). Done my driver medical this Saturday, provisional licence application sent off and hope to be in a class 2 some time in the new year.