Anyone running a 2551 actros?

Big Bear:
Do all these new Merc’s run on 70 series tyres ? Can you have 80 series as a option

Dont know if its a option but wouldnt recommend it, the standard diff ratios etc would be specced for 70 series for the max fuel economy! 80 series is going to be a thing of the past very soon!

Shocking on hills good on fuel as don’t give it any to get up the hill

Silver_Surfer:
That truck looks bloody mint, can’t help on the price, someone on here should know what you should be giving for it though.

Salesman with a sharp pencil and £68/70k straight :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

have a look at the windkit mounting brackets see if theres any corrosion on them.

2 leaf front springs and 315/80’s all round was the way my mates one was delivered 18 months ago fuel returns have been excellent on 80’s…

hi am looking forward to purchase a 2009 model Mercedes Benz actros 2551 6x2/2 to be doing gcw 48t mountainous terrain at 120,000 kms per annum. What are the pros and cons in terms of performance, fuel consumption, add blue usage,maintenance. What about 2011 man tgx 26. 440 6x2/2 doing the same work. Container haulage on high way. In need of advice…

I didnt realise the 2551 was so underpowered, i was running up the M74 with one last week , both similar loads of steel on going to the same place and when we got to Beattock i just left him standing , on other hills i was sat on the limiter and he was dropping a gear, they might be good on fuel but it would seem that comes at a price, my TGX 540 gives between 8-9 mpg all day everyday and pulls very well so i think i will stay as i am for now

@ Chaversdad… I am made to understand the actros 2551 is a v8 engine running @ 16000cc. This is a powerful engine and should pull well if not better regardless of flat or hilly terrain… Especially the 6x2 mid lift pusher. I’ve not driven one yet but figures do not lie unless the one you had was faulty.

rosambili:
@ Chaversdad… I am made to understand the actros 2551 is a v8 engine running @ 16000cc. This is a powerful engine and should pull well if not better regardless of flat or hilly terrain… Especially the 6x2 mid lift pusher. I’ve not driven one yet but figures do not lie unless the one you had was faulty.

510 is a straight 6 like the 450

I drive a 510 6x2, amongst other destinations, every Tuesday I go to Scotland.
Fron Penrith up to the M73, with a load not more than 13 ton, I keep cruise control on at 56 mph, but it hasn’t got enough power in it to stay on the limiter.
When you come out of Lincoln on the A15, through the dual carriageway thru the town, turn right, past fire station, left at ■■■■■, keep left for A15, you go up a big hill, well me and my 510 go up there with 22ton max in the trailer at no more than 15 mph.

kindle530:
Fron Penrith up to the M73, with a load not more than 13 ton, I keep cruise control on at 56 mph, but it hasn’t got enough power in it to stay on the limiter.
When you come out of Lincoln on the A15, through the dual carriageway thru the town, turn right, past fire station, left at ■■■■■, keep left for A15, you go up a big hill, well me and my 510 go up there with 22ton max in the trailer at no more than 15 mph.

jesus thank god i got another scanny

Could be the emissions gubbins. Although Mercs and hills have never been the best of friends.

10-11 mpg has got to be tempting no matter how bad the merc is on a hill.

kindle530:

Gotta be something wrong with her surely :question: :question: :exclamation: :exclamation: :neutral_face:

Postby rosambili » Sat May 30, 2015 6:12 pm

hi am looking forward to purchase a 2009 model Mercedes Benz actros 2551 6x2/2 to be doing gcw 48t mountainous terrain at 120,000 kms per annum. What are the pros and cons in terms of performance, fuel consumption, add blue usage,maintenance. What about 2011 man tgx 26. 440 6x2/2 doing the same work. Container haulage on high way. In need of advice…

A mate of mine that is fitter, they have been waiting for 3 weeks to get a new gear box ECU. Then a friend of his wanted so parts around the front n/s head lamp, weeks and weeks to get the parts.
Cheers Welly