Anyone recommend a sat nav system?

Hi, I want to buy a sat nav system for use in the truck and i’ve been looking at a pda type system like the mio p550 i dont wanna spend a fortune so can anyone recommend a good system and software which will do the job? I would like to be able to also use it as a hands free kit for the mobile, is this possible with a pda? Also I have seen tom tom 5 software on ebay for about 10 quid is this genuine software and will i have any problems installing it? With the pda units with intergrated gps do they generally have any problems with loss of signal ect?

steer well clear of the ebay copies for a tenner you will i promise have problems with these.

Handsfree

sorry this is not possible with a pda system unless you go for one if the pda phones ie mio a701 whiich has a gps built in you could use this with a bluetooth headset

the genuine uk application and map will cost around 100 quid

you could use the mio map software that comes with the A701

not with the new one such as the ones mentioned above if you want ust the pda also have look at pda-n from i-mate avalable from expansys and most online retailers

Just had a look at the i-mate but i only want to spend about 250 ish, so what do you think would be best a dedicated sat nav such as tt500 or garmain nuvi or a pda with integrated gps such as mio p550? I just thought that because i’ll be using it heavily every day in the lorry i’ll need things like bridge heights and lots of storage space to save all the depts that i’ll be delivering to that a pda would be a better option. Plus with the pda i could chop and change to software if i dont like it, any ideas on a good pda in that price range?

using it heavily in everyday anything will do that. as for storage all the navigaion equipment in your price reange will use a storage card for most of the data the only thing youll really need is somthing like a 1 or 2 gb sd card this will allow you to have all the mapping tomtom is currently around 256mb for the program.,maps and loads of poi’s. with 1 or 2 GB card you will have more than enough room fo ra load of Mp3’s too

the tomtom standalone units or PNA’s (personal navigation devices) as there know. the application for the pda is the same as the one on the ttone and go devices . the garmins will do fine aswell

it worth pointing out that you are in controll of the truck and should listen to it all the time yes it will get you there but you must make a judgement on whether the road is suitable for your veihcle . this includes any weight limis you come across.

have a look at these

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Acer-N35-Refurbished-PDA-with-TomTom-Navigator-5-UK-maps.aspx

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/Mio-C210-GPS-System.aspx

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/mio-p350-with-miomap-v2-description.html

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/mio-p550-with-miomap-v2-description.html

Slightly sidetracking …

Alix, did you see Commercial Motor?

Navteq classifies all roads according to their size & suitability & will immediately investigate reports of inappropriate routes, reclassifying roads if necessary.

It is also well on the way to producing a new database called Navteq Transport especially for heavy vehicles, which will take road widths, height & length restrictions into account as well as areas where there is a risk of long or heavy vehicles grounding or getting stuck on tight curves.

It will take other CV-specific restrictions into account, such as routes that are out of bounds to trucks at certain times or areas through which certain loads - hazgoods for example - may not be transported.

Navteq Transport is being released in France & Germany later this year, with the UK and Benelux databases to follow in 2007.

… or words to that effect!! :blush: :wink:

Maybe somebody was listening when we were saying that none of the mapping providers would invest that kind of money - and decided to prove us wrong!!! :laughing: :laughing:

If it lives up to expectations, I think it will be a major step forward.

yes its true but although NavteQ and teleatlas (teleatlas had this data last year) have both put together such data software houses have to buy the data on top of there usually mapping so i wouldnt get too excited. To my knowledge no one has used this data as of yet and personally i cant see anyone taking it soon, as its too much a niche market

AFAIAA, work will be sending me to Hanover this year (IAA) so i’ll be on the look-out for any evidence of the “Navteq Transport is being released in France & Germany later this year” statement.

Sorry for hijacking your post, Doodle. My ‘two pennies worth’; double your budget (easier said than done, I know!) and go for the TT910 as it will sort out all your mapping issues (to the extreme!!) and provide you with the Bluetooth facility you were after.

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/new_models has the best deals around. Last time I checked you could get the TT910 for under £440!!

but a nuvi 310 0r 360 will give the same for less money and the tmc freciver is biult in aswell

marcus please dont get your hopes up i meet seinior people for tomtom alk medion etc about 3-4 times a year is if it is coming it wont be soon certainly not in the near future

I havn’t got sat nav or used one. I don’t need one for routes as i always check on my map, and i 'm not worried about low bridges. Would some thing like this do me just for locating the exact street or whatever just to save carrying A-Z’s with me?
comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/647_285005.html

At £100 it seems a good deal?

yes it would also it would do full navigation too the only downside with the i3 is that you cant drag the map across the screen you can only zoom in or out i do have one of these and there a great little unit also it will do speed camera warnings

alix776:
yes it would also it would do full navigation too the only downside with the i3 is that you cant drag the map across the screen you can only zoom in or out i do have one of these and there a great little unit also it will do speed camera warnings

Thanks alix