Anyone know their ADR Regs?

truckyboy:
What about a spill kit ( sand in a bucket or whatever ) i havnt had an ADR for quite a while, but most has ben covered.

A spill kit (as you’ve described) isn’t actually a requirement.

The requirement for spillage equipment is:

• A shovel
  • A drain seal
  • A collecting container

The above (minimum) list is only required for solids and liquids with danger label numbers 3, 4.1, 4.3, 8 or 9.

However, some companies choose to kit out the vehicle with a higher level of equipment so that they can show environmental responsibility which can impress some customers and gain extra work.

:bulb: Only one wheel chock is required for UK dangerous goods work, but if there are two on board, then that’s OK too.

Hiya…a question from me… that dangerous goods adviser dosn’t have to be in house dose he,
i thought he needed to be available to advise. am i correct Dave.
cheers john

3300John:
Hiya…a question from me… that dangerous goods adviser dosn’t have to be in house dose he,
i thought he needed to be available to advise. am i correct Dave.
cheers john

Hi John,

You’re spot-on mate.

The adviser may be the boss him/herself, an employee with other duties, or a person not directly employed, provided that that person is capable of performing the duties of adviser.

The main consideration is that… a DGSA must hold a DGSA vocational training certificate, which is valid for transport by road, so it’s not the kind of job that the boss can simply delegate.

It’s written that way because a DGSA certificate can be valid for rail or inland waterway or road.

(Holy Thread Resurrection)

Thanks for the great posts here DD, you have answered my questions while I was looking for a checklist on Google

One thing I am stumped on here -

dieseldave:
An intrinsically safe torch is only required if the vehicle is carrying Classes 2.1 or 3 and the driver needs to enter the load compartment. [ADR S2(1)]

In all other circumstances, an ordinary torch is OK as long as it doesn’t have a metal surface liable to make sparks
[ADR 8.3.4]

• Does that mean that all torches can not have a metal surface? Even if you are only carrying classes 5’s, 8’s and 9’s?

I use one of these bad asses, super bright LED and the 18650 battery lasts ages in it - BUT it is all metal on the outside.

Also, I thought this only applies to the 2KG one

dieseldave:
5. Extinguishers must be easily accessible.

Is next to the N/S Door classed as easily accessible or does this have to be from the driving seat?

SEDriver:
(Holy Thread Resurrection)

Thanks for the great posts here DD, you have answered my questions while I was looking for a checklist on Google

One thing I am stumped on here -

dieseldave:
An intrinsically safe torch is only required if the vehicle is carrying Classes 2.1 or 3 and the driver needs to enter the load compartment. [ADR S2(1)]

In all other circumstances, an ordinary torch is OK as long as it doesn’t have a metal surface liable to make sparks
[ADR 8.3.4]

• Does that mean that all torches can not have a metal surface? Even if you are only carrying classes 5’s, 8’s and 9’s?

I use one of these bad asses, super bright LED and the 18650 battery lasts ages in it - BUT it is all metal on the outside.

Hi SEDriver,

Your torch seems to be OK.
It doesn’t exactly prohibit metal torches mate, it just says this about torches:

ADR 8.3.4 The portable lighting apparatus used shall not exhibit any metal surface liable to produce sparks.

I’m thinking that your torch is possibly made of a soft alloy that might be non-sparking?

SEDriver:
Also, I thought this only applies to the 2KG one

dieseldave:
5. Extinguishers must be easily accessible.

Is next to the N/S Door classed as easily accessible or does this have to be from the driving seat?

Sorry mate, “easily accessible” applies to both extinguishers.
It’s accepted practice to mount the smaller (2Kg) extinguisher to a seat-base in the cab, but whether it’s on the offside or nearside isn’t specified in ADR.
ADR also doesn’t say anything about the extinguisher being within the driver’s reach.

I’d caution you against looking up ADR stuff on Google, only because you can’t be sure that what you’re looking at is up-to-date.

BTW, it’s up to the owner of the vehicle you drive to sort out the (perfectly valid) issues that you’re raising, and he needs to have a proper arrangement with a currently qualified DGSA for exactly that reason.