Anyone interested?

there’s a charity event being sorted for summer 2006 which will see me away in the land of europeville for 30 days doing many many miles on a bike.

in order to get a support driver, a young genius I know suggested using multiple drivers in order to not have to ask one person to risk their job or use up 100% of their hols in order to do the whole gig. Instead, get 2 or 3 drivers, and swap them after so many days at pre-arranged points (i.e.airports used by cheapo flights so it costs 2 bob and a bag of crisps to swap over).

so, just gauging interest now, not getting definites:

would you come along to Europe for either 10 or 14 days to drive a long wheelbase van with trailer (over 750kg loaded), to drive a stint in a 10,000 mile challenge for absolutely no financial reward, and the only thanks other than human gratitude being a mention on a website and in press launches (and the odd interview maybe). ?
Oh aye, and many times you’ll either be pitching a tent or sleeping in the van too with 2 bikers :smiley:

whaddaya reckon?

up for it? (potentially) :

What is the proposed route?

If you are coming through Germany, let me know the approx dates and will try and see what is planned around that time and then might be able to guage the chances of ‘escaping’ for a while. I’d be happy to help out if it was possible.

Likewise.

The route — I’ve not got the roads set yet, but I have the primary sequence of cities set out pretty much, to minimise distance and other difficulties.

Dublin Rep Ire -
London UK -
Brussels Bel -
Luxembourg Lux -
Amsterdam Ned -
Copenhagen Den -
Stockholm Swe -
Helsinki Fin -
Tallinn Est -
Riga Lat -
Vilnius Lit -
Warsaw Pol -
Berlin Ger -
Prague Cze -
Bratislava Slovk -
Vienna Aut -
Budapest Hun -
Lublijana Slovn -
Zagreb Cro -
Bucharest Rom -
Sofia Bul -
Ankara Tur -
Lefkosa Cyp -
Athens Gre -
Rome Ita -
Monte Carlo Mon -
Madrid Spa -
Lisbon Por -
Paris Fra

apart from the “cyprus issue” its the only reasonably sensible order they can be visited, and end up in paris.

so the germany route will be entering from the polish border going across to Berlin, say hello to the world, ridesouth, probably overnighting near the czech border and that’ll be Germany done I’m afraid. despite being one of the biggest countries in the union, its capital’s position and in relation to surrounding lands’ capitals means not many miles - just a few hundred :frowning:

there’s a couple of ferries thrown in there somewhere :smiley:

the dates - a week or two after the world cup final, we hope.
the main tie-in will be to get the british and german GP’s (motoGP, not F1 !) so probably late July.