Anyone had man tga's xxl ....what do you think of them?

Have any of you had or have a man tag xxl 57 reg ish ? How did you find them reliability,fuel,pulling wise

Cheers

Hi

I’ve had around 70 of them - still have two.

Lovely truck from new, with 500K on the clock, i’ve found that invariably start using more fuel and become costly to run.

Parts expensive (from MAN dealers) - in my opinion the trucks had its best days at that age.

K

i have got a 57 plate 440 TGA XXL, and also an 06 plate 430 TGA XLX

in the time that i have had them, i have had very little trouble with them

in the XXL, there is plenty of space due to the high roof and the low floor, but, the storage space could be better

i have driven them both for periods of time, they have got a fantastic turning circle, and are quick to turn due to the large steering wheel

i have been getting good fuel figures from them both, obviously, the 430 euro3 is better than the 440 euro4

when i drove them, i found them comfortable to drive and sleep in, some of the drivers pull the mattress from the top bunk down on to the bottom bunk, as they are both thin mattresses, then complained saying that it is uncomfortable to sleep in, try it with the mattresses as they were designed, yes, they are thin, but they are designed to work with the base

one of the most important things to remember is, on every oil change service, get the valves reset, this will improve the power and the fuel figures, as they deteriorate over the service interval

as Knowall said, parts can be expensive, some, not all though

i bought the 06 plate XLX with 606,000 KMs on it, and the XXL with similar amount

one thing i have noticed is, if the truck has had lots of different drivers, it will be poor, if it has had the same driver who looked after it, then it will be a good one, the MAN doesn’t like to be abused as much as some other makes

#scotty#:
Have any of you had or have a man tag xxl 57 reg ish ? How did you find them reliability,fuel,pulling wise

Cheers

What shape is that one? Is that the current version or the previous incarnation? If it’s the old one with the manual box then they’re not too bad chariots from a driver perspective, but that fridge has always been in the wrong place and just gets in your way all the time, especially getting on/off/sitting on the bunk and the storage space has always been lacking in them despite the cavernous cab on XXL. The dustbin lid sized steering wheel is very marmite. Personally I hate it, especially any reversing as it requires far too much swinging before the wheels actually start turning.

The current shape ones are absolutely horrible and are at the top of my truck ‘hate’ list, which takes some doing having driven many Stralii. They do not handle or go round corners at all, horrible roll, no feedback through the steering wheel to tell you what the road wheels are doing, and don’t even get me started on the constant bouncing. Imagine trying to drive a truck whilst being on a bouncy castle with a dozen kids playing on it with you and you’re about there.

Whether you like them with depend a lot of what else you’ve driven. If you’ve driven the big cabbed Volvo/Scania/Merc/DAFs from the same era then I don’t think you’ll rate the MAN too highly, but if you’re coming up from something lesser spec/size then you’ll probably think it’s the bees knees.

Rob K:
which takes some doing having driven many Stralii.

Nice to see someone else using the proper pronounciation of more than one item. :laughing:

Ken.

Quinny:

Rob K:
which takes some doing having driven many Stralii.

Nice to see someone else using the proper pronounciation of more than one item. :laughing:

Ken.

I do have other names for them but it’d just appear as [zb] on here and no-one would know what I’m talking about. :stuck_out_tongue:

Rob, the 57 plate is the TGA (pre facelift), the earliest TGX was on an 08 plate

i found them a good reliable comfortable truck to drive, and cheap to buy

but, i would agree with Rob K, if you are used to a DAF/Volvo/Scania, then you will find it is not as good

when i drove both of mine, i couldn’t wait to get back in my 03 plate XF SSC :grimacing:

We have one at work. It’s very frustrating as there is loads of space inside but no-where to actually put your stuff. The massive windscreen gives a fabulous view of the sky though, who needs locker space when you can, er, try and spot the space station…

As a driver I cannot fault MAN. I made that decision when my local dealer lost the DAF Franchise in 1988. I still hold the same views after driving them, 321, 361, 332, 362, 372, 403, 463 and TGA. I loved the old roadhaus but the TGA is more use to a driver living in it…

Wheel Nut:
As a driver I cannot fault MAN. I made that decision when my local dealer lost the DAF Franchise in 1988. I still hold the same views after driving them, 321, 361, 332, 362, 372, 403, 463 and TGA. I loved the old roadhaus but the TGA is more use to a driver living in it…

Same here I do 5 nights out every week. And can’t fault my tgx. Took the cool box out from day 1. So now I have plenty of room. Radio is spot on, just the mirrors that’s a little large, you can quite easily lose a car in them, and the curtains were a pain until you get used to them.
I’ve made a bracket that clamps on to the little shelf under the passenger side top locker that I hang my tv on. Perfect for watching tv in bed. Used to have a fitted sheet on my matress in the merc I hade before this. But it won’t fit on the tgx bed as its miles too long. So had to get a normal none fitted bottom sheet.
There not the best drive but for living in there spot on I also think the seat is really comfy, and adjustable, arm rest on each side of drivers seat. Had a Volvo that didn’t have an arm rest and hated it for it.

shuttlespanker:
i have got a 57 plate 440 TGA XXL, and also an 06 plate 430 TGA XLX

Hi, did you have any problems with engine on the 57 plate.
There seem to be quite a few for sale in the Baltics with engine problems.

Are the Man’s still reliable with 700-750k on the clock, or around that milage they start to give in?

I have two, both are crap and i wont buy anymore, lifes too short to list all the issues !

Basically if you were to have problems, it would break you then I wouldn’t buy one.

If you can afford the repair bill then you could take a chance on one & have many pleasant miles. Scania’s & volvo’s are a ■■■■ load more money for a reason.

I’d buy one new though.

Any comments about this one?

suchen.mobile.de/lkw-inserat/man … rice=false

Seems quite cheap for that year.

Most of the engine problems stem from not using the correct engine oil.

Daft cab curtains that are too short when you close them at night there is a gap in the middle.
The weak plastic curtain hooks that break if you look at them and no stopper at the end of the curtain rail so they slide off with the windows down in the wind.

Yeah probly. You can’t just chuck any old can in you buy at the services anymore.

Rob K:

#scotty#:

Cheers

What shape is that one? Is that the current version or the previous incarnation? If it’s the old one with the manual box then they’re not too bad chariots from a driver perspective, but that fridge has always been in the wrong place and just gets in your way all the time, especially getting on/off/sitting on the bunk and the storage space has always been lacking in them despite the cavernous cab on XXL. The dustbin lid sized steering wheel is very marmite. Personally I hate it, especially any reversing as it requires far too much swinging before the wheels actually start turning.

The current shape ones are absolutely horrible and are at the top of my truck ‘hate’ list, which takes some doing having driven many Stralii. They do not handle or go round corners at all, horrible roll, no feedback through the steering wheel to tell you what the road wheels are doing, and don’t even get me started on the constant bouncing. Imagine trying to drive a truck whilst being on a bouncy castle with a dozen kids playing on it with you and you’re about there.

Whether you like them with depend a lot of what else you’ve driven. If you’ve driven the big cabbed Volvo/Scania/Merc/DAFs from the same era then I don’t think you’ll rate the MAN too highly, but if you’re coming up from something lesser spec/size then you’ll probably think it’s the bees knees.

Perhaps I was a little too harsh…

Have had a 60-reg 26TGX440 artic this week and it was a very nice steer to be perfectly honest. :open_mouth: It had manual mode on the stalk if needed but to be honest I found it made a pretty decent job of making good progress if left in auto. They are still very bouncy and lack road feel but that makes them super comfy on the motorways and you just glide over the bumps whereas other trucks would be crashing about over them. It was like driving my very expensive leather armchair down the M1, hardly felt a thing. :smiley:

Still have to say that they’re not good for off-motorway driving though. The cabs are too bouncy and you get thrown all over the place on poor surfaced roads. Also the mirrors…!!! :open_mouth: What the heck. I don’t think I’ve seen bigger mirrors on any other truck. :open_mouth: They’re about another half as big again as the Volvo mirrors and the blind spots they and the A-pillars cause means that you can lose whole towns behind it, never mind other vehicles. :open_mouth: I found it really [zb] annoying after a few hours of having to constantly lean forwards and then sideways to check that I hadn’t “lost” any cars behind them when approaching roundabouts etc.

For reference the truck in question has 250k on the clock and it drove like brand new with nothing broken or fallen off.

The door pillars are a serious safety issue with a huge blind spot.How did that get out the factory gates with that poor design fault.The seat is like a bouncy castle and need sea sick pills.
Do not eat a heavy meal then drive a MAN.

The doors also fall off, they are not a motor to keep for a long time like a scania or volvo, when they start to cost, move them on. Quickly.