Anyone had Eddie Stobart assessment?

if you assestment from Rugby truck stop.drive carefuly around Crick (EX STOBART DEPO).,IN this industrial estate from NFT ASDA till this Hotel speed restriction 20 or 25 miles.and when you cross Royal mail,tesco,will small roundabound .there sign STOP :smiley: .but to many drivers care on drive

What a difference frae the early days at ESL ,i pulled into the yard (was passing) asked if owt was doing …yes …well jumped intae a cargo drag drove a ESL driver round kingston estate to get a coffee then back intae the yard .Into the office got a bundle o uniform an see you on Saturday.
Back intae my heap o junk ,an back to my yard.
jimmy

albion1971:

Truckulent:

albion1971:
When you go out to the truck make sure you do all your daily checks, lights/mirrors/windscreen/wipers/horn/tyres etc etc, everything that you’ve learnt on your test.

You did all that on your test tarrman?

truckulent you are missing my point completely.Some drivers cannot drive properly after passing the test whether they are on assessment or not.

If they’ve passed the DSA test then you are wrong, because legally they can. Whether you would agree yourself is another matter. I doubt the most senior ROSPA/IAM examiner would meet your criteria to be honest. :grimacing:

The point surely is that, although you may eradicate a few (and it is a few) idiots, the majority will pass the assessment. A lot of those that do pass, will not continue to drive afterwards the way they did for the assessment, or for subsequent assessments.

So as I said, it has some value but not that much. :sunglasses:

Yes if they pass the test they can legally drive but it does not mean they are 100% capabable.Far from it in some cases.
As I have said many times the test is far too easy and there is too much luck involved.
I have known many a good driver to fail and many a bad one to pass.
Try doing the DSA Examiners course and then you might realise how easy it is to pass.

I am afraid I see far more than a few idiots everyday on our roads.

Yep. And how exactly does an assessment at Stobarts for some drivers (but not all) make sense?

I agree that some folk are poor. But the point here is assessments are a bit pointless if not all the drivers in a particular company are being assessed, not are some drivers on the road today very poor.

Also, if drivers don’t continue to drive well after assessment, it’s a bit pointless isn’t it?

Thanks for the info everyone :smiley: . Its the Widnes depot im going to. Will be brushing up on my highway code/drivers hours/road signs etc,over the next few days. I must admit,im starting to feel a bit nervous already,but hopefully, the assessor will be understanding,with it being my first assessment.
Thanks again guys :smiley:

I have one at the Chelford depot next week.

am i missing something ? we are after all tested by the DSA so i fail to see the need for assesments i remember years ago you went to an interview next day you went off and got on with the job they spoon found out if you where upto it and you where out on your ear if you didnt make the grade

bjd:
am i missing something ? we are after all tested by the DSA so i fail to see the need for assesments i remember years ago you went to an interview next day you went off and got on with the job they spoon found out if you where upto it and you where out on your ear if you didnt make the grade

The times they are a changin’. Not all of us have been tested by OUR DSA, so quality may vary widely, and witnessing some of our home grown talent I’d still question their ability to drive safely.

The other thing is, looking from an employers point of view, would you be happy just chucking the keys to potentially £250k worth of kit and load to some fella who’s just shown you his licence and nothing more?

Well,im happy to report that my driving assessment and interview both went very well,resulting in me being offered a job,which I have accepted :smiley: .
Perhaps not everybody’s perfect employer,judging by some of the posts ive read on here,but im very pleased with the outcome :wink:
Thanks for all your replies guys :smiley:

^^well done,and best of luck.

im a little late but well done T5 DKO. So what did you have to do on the assessment?

The reason they have to assess people is to see if you are basically ok to drive for them as an employee. It is their duty as an employer. If the agency sends you in then it is down to them rather than stobarts or any company you go to

the maoster:
The other thing is, looking from an employers point of view, would you be happy just chucking the keys to potentially £250k worth of kit and load to some fella who’s just shown you his licence and nothing more?

Most companies do exactly that on a daily basis.
The only assessment I’ve ever had was, being given a 6 wheeler with a rack, fully loaded with steel and told by the boss to get in the cab and get gone, with no straps on the wagon. He said I didn’t need any.
I refused to take it out and asked him for straps and secured the load properly and that’s all he wanted to see, He said that I’d be surprised how many drivers would just try to drive off!

What about things like Fleetboard, and other “driving style” detectors?

One part of passing an assessment has got to be “giving the passenger a comfortable ride”.
The other part is all the things like "No harsh braking, no kerb clipping, tree branch bonking, corner cutting, load shifting, curtain-tearing…
whilst your first load might well be “lipsmacking pepsi” to boot. :open_mouth: :stuck_out_tongue:

jobseeker:

the maoster:

Most companies do exactly that on a daily basis.
The only assessment I’ve ever had was, being given a 6 wheeler with a rack, fully loaded with steel and told by the boss to get in the cab and get gone, with no straps on the wagon. He said I didn’t need any.
I refused to take it out and asked him for straps and secured the load properly and that’s all he wanted to see, He said that I’d be surprised how many drivers would just try to drive off!

Whilst in a very small minority nowadays, there is still the odd haulier that has outfits not fit for purpose. The skip companies that refuse point blank to buy nets to cover loads, the owners of curtain siders that won’t buy straps when they regularly transport unstable loads, the steel bar carriers that won’t invest a few quid in some proper bolster timbers and pins etc.

I have only ever been assessed with one company and that was for tippers. All the others have just seen a clean license, a guy with a sensible attitude and handed over the keys. The trucks I drove were looked after and brought back in one piece at the end of every working day.

Yes, you’d think with all those questions about “How much driving have you done in the last 2 years - no gaps please”
they are actually asking these questions for a good reason…

I recall a row I once had with a firm who wanted to ‘take me on umbrella or ltd company only’ - to which I said I’ll send them a list of my rates, which they pointed out would “not be appropriate, because we set the rates, not our contractors.”
Yeh sure baz. THAT means I’m “employed” by them for “them setting the wages”, but “not employed” by them for ME paying their NICs as well as mine. Yet another common fiddle going about these days alas.

Firms only offering “contract” work can expect to be invoiced for my time on attending an assessment as well. No pay - No show. :smiling_imp:
If sporting all that paperwork credentials doesn’t count for anything, then I’ll just move onto a non-joke outfit where it does. :angry:

If I were attending an assessment at Stobarts unpaid, I’d expect it to be for a full time uniformed PAYE job rather than anything “contractual” as well… :wink:

Hi mate,assessment involved a walk round check,followed by a 20 minute drive(G400 Scania with 13m trailer),and a reverse into a bay between 2 trailers. I was expecting to do a couple/uncouple,but just had to talk him through how I would do it. I passed the driving assessment,and went for an interview with the ops manager. I passed that too,and they offered me the job :smiley:
Ive been there for a month now,had a lot to learn initially,but settled in now,and enjoying it.

Is this sittingbourne we’re talking about here?

I’ve only seen a few combinations overnighting off Castle Road with regards to Stobarts. I wasn’t actually aware they had a “crick” type depot in this part of the country at all? :confused:

Well done pal, what department they put you with.

Hi Darren,im at widnes,on the Tesco chilled deliveries. Seems ok so far,nothing to complain about as yet,although maybe that will change with time! :laughing: I was quite surprised that I got the job,as im a new driver,and this was the first job I applied for :astonished:

T5 DKO:
Hi Darren,im at widnes,on the Tesco chilled deliveries. Seems ok so far,nothing to complain about as yet,although maybe that will change with time! :laughing: I was quite surprised that I got the job,as im a new driver,and this was the first job I applied for :astonished:

Welcome mate, I was the same as you about 9/10 months ago. Same firm and depot :smiley: What shift you on? Days/nights?