Anyone got a wavebox microwave

Hi just looking to buy a microwave oven for the cab as we are banned from using gas stoves ect in the wagon.Just wondering if anyone had used a wavebox and wondering if they are any good.If i do get one it will be wired direct to the batteries.

If your employer has banned you from using gas stoves in the cab then he should pay for a microwave - or put you up in a hotel. Bloody cheek if you ask me.

stobarts ban gas stoves but pays you £12.00 a day meal allowance.

Hi I’m looking at getting one of these aswell, I will get mine wired direct to the batts, it even comes with the cable for you to do it…Not bad for £133

Hombre:
If your employer has banned you from using gas stoves in the cab then he should pay for a microwave - or put you up in a hotel. Bloody cheek if you ask me.

Well i managed to blow myself up using a gas stove in the cab(40% burns, 10 weeks in hospital ,18 months off work)hence the ban :cry:
So was looking at this microwave ,instead of buying an inverter and cheap microwave,unless i can get a 1000w inverter and microwave for the same price.

you can get an 1000w inverter from maplins for £79.99 but i think it is the amps it needs to be min 20amps for them to work…thats why I have not got one yet need to sort out the amps.

Deepinvet:
you can get an 1000w inverter from maplins for £79.99 but i think it is the amps it needs to be min 20amps for them to work…thats why I have not got one yet need to sort out the amps.

1000w/24v = I make that 40-ish amps. BUT, bear in mind that microwave ovens use substantially more power than their advertised cooking power. For example, mine claims 750w output but it’s plated input power is, I believe, about 1200w. Added to that unless you get a (very expensive) true sine-wave inverter, you’ll probably find that the microwave’s cooking power is reduced further, and things take longer to cook.

Yes, I’ve been here before :sunglasses:

Alex

scotty1972:

Hombre:

Well i managed to blow myself up using a gas stove in the cab(40% burns, 10 weeks in hospital ,18 months off work)hence the ban :cry:
So was looking at this microwave ,instead of buying an inverter and cheap microwave,unless i can get a 1000w inverter and microwave for the same price.

You work on the general where I work Scotty?

Me on VM

bowserman:

scotty1972:

Hombre:

You work on the general where I work Scotty?

Me on VM

Yeah i also work for them ,just got back down the road after being stuck in the warehouse for a month.

]

1000w/24v = I make that 40-ish amps. BUT, bear in mind that microwave ovens use substantially more power than their advertised cooking power. For example, mine claims 750w output but it’s plated input power is, I believe, about 1200w. Added to that unless you get a (very expensive) true sine-wave inverter, you’ll probably find that the microwave’s cooking power is reduced further, and things take longer to cook.

The wave box are 12v only, would this make a difference? IF A 1000W Inverter worked like that then it would be easier to just buy a cheap £20 microwave and use that, wouldn’t it■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Deepinvet:
]

The wave box are 12v only, would this make a difference? IF A 1000W Inverter worked like that then it would be easier to just buy a cheap £20 microwave and use that, wouldn’t it■■? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Think the wavebox can run on 12 and 24v thewavebox.com/original.htm

scotty1972:

Apparently so. Although the UK site (thewavebox.co.uk/original.cfm) doesn’t mention 24v anywhere - probably something to check! I’ve also noticed that the US site claims “660w of cooking power” when directly connected to the battery, and “235w of cooking power” using a vehicle socket, whilst on Wavebox.co.uk it says “Output Power: 425W AC/Direct connect to battery. 110W vehicle power outlet.” I’m pretty sure the latter will be true.

Regarding the inverter option, the 1000W model I found on Maplin (for a 12v input - the only 24v one on their site is 300W) is listed as £139.99 - more than the Wavebox, but still pretty cheap as inverters go. Due to the current requirements and potential for nasty things happening, it probably ought to be installed by a professional - especially on a commercial vehicle, if only to satisfy the H&S peeps - which would increase the cost further.

In summary, I’ve no personal experience with the Wavebox, but assuming it isn’t a bad product per se, I think it’s likely to be the best choice if all you want is a mobile microwave. If, on the other hand, you want a permanently installed setup that you can use for cooking, powering the laptop/TV/dishwasher and whatever else, go for an inverter of at least 1500w and a mains-powered microwave.

Alex

p.s. I don’t have a dishwasher in the truck (yet), but as soon as I figure out the plumbing…

alexc:

scotty1972:

Apparently so. Although the UK site (thewavebox.co.uk/original.cfm) doesn’t mention 24v anywhere - probably something to check! I’ve also noticed that the US site claims “660w of cooking power” when directly connected to the battery, and “235w of cooking power” using a vehicle socket, whilst on Wavebox.co.uk it says “Output Power: 425W AC/Direct connect to battery. 110W vehicle power outlet.” I’m pretty sure the latter will be true.

Regarding the inverter option, the 1000W model I found on Maplin (for a 12v input - the only 24v one on their site is 300W) is listed as £139.99 - more than the Wavebox, but still pretty cheap as inverters go. Due to the current requirements and potential for nasty things happening, it probably ought to be installed by a professional - especially on a commercial vehicle, if only to satisfy the H&S peeps - which would increase the cost further.

In summary, I’ve no personal experience with the Wavebox, but assuming it isn’t a bad product per se, I think it’s likely to be the best choice if all you want is a mobile microwave. If, on the other hand, you want a permanently installed setup that you can use for cooking, powering the laptop/TV/dishwasher and whatever else, go for an inverter of at least 1500w and a mains-powered microwave.

Alex

p.s. I don’t have a dishwasher in the truck (yet), but as soon as I figure out the plumbing…

Cheers for pointing the uk site out,think they must have different power ratings for different countries or something.
Think i will go for the 1500w inverter cheap microwave option as i’m also sick of paying over the odds for other 12v/24v electrical stuff.
Now then does anyone know where i can get a cheap 1500w inverter, which will be fitted by our own fitters at no extra cost.

Try Maplins for the cheap inverter

Deepinvet:
Try Maplins for the cheap inverter

Will do ,can’t find anything cheaper than £150 on the net.