Anyone give a start up some advice?

Other than dont bother mate lol !!!

Ok i’ll try and keep it short…and btw hello to everyone as its my first post.

Ive been driving class 2 now for about 4-5 years and have been given the opportunity by a family member to cover the transport side of the company he works for if i can manage to do so.

I’ll save the ins and outs… but basically need a curtain side rigid 18T to run out of there 4-5 days a week to cover all there loads. Im looking at renting one long term to start out ( No fixed contract) which works out around just under £400 per week. Is this expensive??

The company he works for hold an ops license which if im correct i can run off ■■ which allows me to rent the lorry. Im aware i need vehicle insurance and contents insurance which i have to do seperately myself, so i would also love some heads up on decent insurance companys and maybe an estimate figure of how much all the insurance is going to cost per year?

Im sure there is probably a hell of alot im missing here but good information is hard to come by on this topic and trust me ive been trying.

Ive worked out around a £800 per week fuel plus lorry rental £400 and insurance on top plus various other overheads around £1500 a week outgoings … Or am i crazy??

Any help would be massively appreciated so i can finally get moving on this before i miss the opportunity.

Cheers Trig

You will need your own O licence to hire a vehicle…

Are you 100% sure on that? The only reason i ask is, when i had a conversation with the rental place they didnt seem to be too bothered about using the other companies one.

I have also heard of other ppl running rental wagons off of other ppls Op license.

Trigga_UK:
The company he works for hold an ops license which if im correct i can run off ■■

You cannot run your own separate operation off someone elses O licence. If you’re unsure then you’re better off confirming with VOSA than going on hearsay.

I was under the impression that an ‘O’ licence holder could be the holder for numerous fleets if they had the correct ‘vehicle capacity allowance’ :question: :question: :question:

Trigga_UK:
Are you 100% sure on that? The only reason i ask is, when i had a conversation with the rental place they didnt seem to be too bothered about using the other companies one.

I have also heard of other ppl running rental wagons off of other ppls Op license.

He’s 100% right, if it’s you operating the vehicle the O-Licence will need to be in your name or it won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on. You’ll also need to hold a CPC, or employ someone who does have one to be your transport manager.

Paul

ROG:
I was under the impression that an ‘O’ licence holder could be the holder for numerous fleets if they had the correct ‘vehicle capacity allowance’ :question: :question: :question:

I think you’re getting the O-Licence and the CPC mixed up there ROG.

Paul

repton:

ROG:

I think you’re getting the O-Licence and the CPC mixed up there ROG.

Paul

I am indeed :blush: - thanks :smiley:

if the wagon will be ‘hired’ in your name you will need a O License and to have an O Licence you need to be a CPC holder (or have someone working for you as your CPC holder), if you dont and get caught you will be in the brown and smelly stuff and that is not good as it could cost you you’re licence (if they are feeling particularly mean!)

Jeez they don’t make it easy do they. Ok so I cannot hire an 18t as a sole trader under anybody elses ops licence even if they have a cpc and become my transport manager??

can the company offering me work hire a vehicle under there name with there ops license for me to drive?? If it’s only carrying there goods?

Trigga_UK:
Jeez they don’t make it easy do they. Ok so I cannot hire an 18t as a sole trader under anybody elses ops licence even if they have a cpc and become my transport manager??

can the company offering me work hire a vehicle under there name with there ops license for me to drive?? If it’s only carrying there goods?

get sum1 to be ur TM som1 with a cpc apply for the o licence 12 week later when it comes through u can go ang hire a vehicle
and £400 is dear £270 - £300 is about reit

lee hawke:

Trigga_UK:

get sum1 to be ur TM som1 with a cpc apply for the o licence 12 week later when it comes through u can go ang hire a vehicle

unless its a daf xf then you will need more lots ,MORE £££££££££££££££££££££££££££

hawkster, your not texting ya mate down the football club, som1… have a go at writing it out correctly ya daft barnsley football supporter. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lee hawke:

Trigga_UK:

Right… Now we’re getting somewhere. I knew there was a loophole somewhere,it’s just getting my head round it all when it’s all new too me. If that’s the case then the company that want me to sort there transport could hire the lorry for me and aslong as I’m insured as a driver I’m good to go?? I know it sort of defeats the purpose of me going it alone but it’s a headstart.

Trigga_UK:

lee hawke:

Trigga_UK:

Right… Now we’re getting somewhere. I knew there was a loophole somewhere,it’s just getting my head round it all when it’s all new too me. If that’s the case then the company that want me to sort there transport could hire the lorry for me and aslong as I’m insured as a driver I’m good to go?? I know it sort of defeats the purpose of me going it alone but it’s a headstart.

The common sense way to go IMO, if they will employ you, as a driver/planner/and all the other things that are involved with running a truck. It will be a massive learning curve, but could be a grounding to becoming an O/D, or the start of a very good job, if you can do the work, and they appreciate your ability to do it.
If they have capital available, and money is cheap, if not plentiful at the moment, look long and hard at the 2nd hand market, you should be able to buy a truck for the same as several months hire.
Hope this helps
Tony