Anyone Else Struggling?

thought i’d drop in again to fill you all in on my “driving career” since passing my class 1 on 7th Feb 2006.

NOTHING

Knocked on a few doors, spoke with a couple of agencies (who have nothing), got another to check out tomorrow, left my details with a couple of local tipper Co’s…even the council. Will try some more larger haulage firms this week too…

I’m informed “things should pick up around Easter” …so it’ll feel like starting all over again then,assuming I get a start…trying to stay optimistic but it’s easy to feel like i’ve wasted my time :frowning: where are all these so called vacancies? i’m coming up against the “2 years experience” line…any advice on how I might improve my prospects would be appreciated

thanks everyone
Scott

I know how you feel mate. I passed class 2 in Nov and class one in Feb. Since passing class two I have had bits and pieces from the agency, I had one full week on class two just before Christmas and only odd days since. Last week I got four days at one company delivering to airports. That was only because the usual agency driver had injured himself. The previous week all I got was pick up a 7.5 tonner from Birmingham and return it to Northants because that driver had fallen from tail lift and hurt his ankle quite badly and had to be taken off to hospital. Tonight I just had a call from the agency about a broken down reefer in Oxford somewhere and if the recovery people don’t fix it by 23:00 the driver will be out of hours so I may go and drive it back to Birmingham if they need it. I’ve not even had a sniff of class one and all that seems to be available is van and 7.5 tonne work at the moment. Like you I am feeling that I have wasted time and money training for this so called shortage of HGV drivers. Seems the only stuff I get is because of someone elses misfortune. I could have done 7.5 tonne and van work with my car licence but the pay is terrible. I could earn more working in Tesco’s
Anyway best of luck with your job search I hope it works out for us both.
Rant over now
cheers
Ant

January was slack, a few days here and there - nowhere near enough work, fortunately I was paid by the agency whilst I did the ADR course - just having to pay back the fees at the moment. For February I fell lucky and had a night job that lasted 3 weeks, finished on the Thursday and picked up work for Focus in Tamworth.

After I spoke to the agency it was - “You should be busy next week as well” - I waited for the call, and waited…

… gave up in the end and spoke to another agency, picked up work at TNT Kingsbury for the rest of the week (ok so I am the trailer washer, but at least I will get more practice at reversing… … … ). Might have an assessment there later in the week so I can pick up some regular shifts as well.

Also searching for full time work at the moment, although I have only just started and it is hard to find people with vacancies at all - let alone anyone that will take on someone with only 6 months.

Agency wise (at least as far as driverhire go) one of the problems is that they cannot supply a driver with less than 2 years experience with drivers negligence insurance. So companies will only take you over another driver as a last resort… … … Probably explain why Ant keeps getting jobs where there has been a problem and most of mine start with “How fast can you get to … ■■”.
Certain other agencies lie about the amount of experience you have to get you work … …

Rule of thumb is to keep at it, if one agency is not working for you then join another and another until you get one or a combination that works for you. Some companies WILL take new drivers (PTS who I was doing nights for have just taken on a new pass to do days - although on rubbish money, but more than most of us are making on agencies at the moment)…

Finally, - experience is not everything, in my last week at PTS I was showing two drivers the route - one with 10 years experience and one with 20. Both thought that the yards in Leicester and Bletchley were extremely tight (they aren’t fantastic, but I only have 6 months and I managed it), and the guy with 10 years caught the trailer on a cage and ripped off the rear curtain ratchet…

Keep at it and you will get there… … … …

G

thanks for the response guys and i appreciate the link Joey, thanks :smiley: i’d just e-mailed one local firm and wasn’t sure if it was a good way to go about things, but if it worked for you i’ll give it a go, nothing to lose!!! thanks again…

not sure if this has been posted before but seems like it could be useful…

roadhaulage.co.uk/home.php

Scudmonkey…Don’t know if you’ve tried this place but I saw a sign today outside “Keyline”/ “Keywest”? HGV Drivers wanted in Gloucester. Sorry if I didn’t get the name right but it is a large depot on the A38 ringroad in Gloucester on the Cheltenham side of the roundabout by the Royal Mail depot. They seem to do local authority work and their drivers seem pretty happy from burger van talk…might be worth a try?

excellent, thanks very much will check them out tomorrow :slight_smile:

Gazzareth:
… gave up in the end and spoke to another agency, picked up work at TNT Kingsbury for the rest of the week (ok so I am the trailer washer, but at least I will get more practice at reversing… … … ). Might have an assessment there later in the week so I can pick up some regular shifts as well

IMHO you can do a lot worse than TNT if you are honest about your experience they will support you and it will stand you in good stead. I was asked by a friend who runs an agency if I would do him a favour and run out of Atherstone for three weeks and I was still there 12 months later, I only left when I was taken ill and by the time I was well I had left the area.

If you go on assessment then please tell Steve that Lindsey sends her love! :wink: :laughing:

from the useful links forum

RHA FInd a Member

If you go on assessment then please tell Steve that Lindsey sends her love!

Since I was dragged in last minute and told I am in there on an ongoing basis I may well avoid the dreaded assessment… Job isn’t too bad, just like shunting but with a 10 minute delay in the wash - and no-one breathing down your neck. Best thing is the commute - including the stop to get a paper - 8 minutes…

Will try and remember if I do get called to do the drive though !!!

G

Thanks for the link Denis F…very helpful :smiley:

Best thing is the commute - including the stop to get a paper - 8 minutes…

:laughing: :laughing: Yeah its an awful long drag aint it gaz down past the oil terminals

Yeah its an awful long drag aint it gaz down past the oil terminals

It’s a hard life, if I had the two years experience I could apply to Hoyer and cut the commute down to 4 minutes (or walk) - they are advertising at the moment… So anyone with an ADR and 2-3 years looking for work at Kingsbury may be in luck !!

Seen that advert for Hoyer myself gaz in the local rag, dont think id fancy it though Hemel Hempstead

gav:
Seen that advert for Hoyer myself gaz in the local rag, dont think id fancy it though Hemel Hempstead

Hmmm don’t mention that, if Kingsbury went (which is bigger than Hemel) we would be right in the firing line…