Anyone Done Removals?

So earlier on I made a thread on the conversion from Buses to HGVs.
I’ve noticed some local firms looking for HGV drivers.
Obviously it’s hard work but anyone done this long term? Is it relatively secure? What happens during the quiet periods? Do you still get other work? What sort of money were you taking home?
The firm advertising although quite big are a family business.

Just bumping thread, local removals company looking for HGV drivers, pay depends on your skills and experience. Does include removals abroad and allowances are paid for overnight stays. Anyone done removals? Or avoid even thinking of it?

Unless you’re fit don’t bother, it’ll ■■■■■■■ you. If you enjoy a heavy going job and don’t have chronic knee and back pain you might well love it. It is less a driving job and more a removal man job, if that makes sense.

Apartment blocks without lifts - heaving pianos and washing machines up to the second floor. No.

And this just in - no. :smiley:

I did removals for a summer. My advice? Steer clear.

Hello Roger and out , what age are you buddy ? i own my own removals and storage company and i love it but if your over 50 and never done it before then forget it ,your struggle mate ! i know a lot of removal men well over 60 still doing it and my old dad was still at it at well in to his 70s and was still helping us at 86 :laughing: but he did it from when he was 11 :open_mouth: ,but sat on a horse and cart so it was in his blood.

Four or five flights of stairs with a heavy book box is not taken lightly,but its a great laugh and its variable, one min local ,next long distance ,plenty of tea and hopefully tips ,only yesterday 5 men got £80 each ,but that was a four day job.

We got some young lads and they love it too ,but at 5pm the wagons still loaded and you got another three hours left and you want to go home !! basically there is no rescue team coming out to you ! so just get on with it . :laughing:

Hello Jakey, many thanks for your information.

I’m 39 and never done removals. Left the army in 2007, and was fairly fit then although I started jogging again last year. I’d say I’m reasonably fit.

I did email a company for information, it does include going abroad and overnights.
Trouble is I have a young family so maybe not ideal?

Hello Roger and out , although your not be up the road every day , your come across the occasional unplanned nights out ,plus a lot of late finishes due not getting the keys on time ,making you some times up to five hours behind (this happens on Fridays ,mainly end of the months) .

Saying that some days manily in the winter your not be doing much and could be sent home early :laughing: , sweeping in the warehouse and general cleaning is also part of the porters jobs, you should get time to keep your truck nice too (we always make time for that)

Your get some nice parts of europe or uk to deliver too but expect tight gate ways and low trees to contend with !

Would i change my job ? no fear this is perfect for me . :sunglasses:

Been doing removals 35 years now uk and Europe . Been to some fantastic places , met loads of nice people. It’s a job that’s very underrated.
You have to be multi skilled . Furniture assembly , remove sash windows . Chandeliers Grand pianos . Pin ball machines juke box’s . The stuff people have and want moved is an eye openerLearn to pack China and glass the right way .Handle heavy objects safety, in situations that would make a health and safety officer have kittens.
You need variable skills for different work situations , ie house moves , office moves .
Depends on the type of company and clients you have too.
I love it .
J a Coles removals.

I have for White & Co and Pickfords…
I should also add never held a car licence at the time but answering the op :laughing: :laughing: