Anybody worked for Exel AND Wincanton? Who's best?

Yesterday, Somerfield announced that as of 12/11/06, Wincanton would become it’s sole logistics supplier.

This means that Huntingdon, Cardinal (Godmanchester) and Lea Green transport will transfer to Wincanton from this date. They are all currently run by DHL / Exel. The rest of the distribution network is already run by Wincanton.

It doesn’t appear that there will be job cuts - everybody will transfer to Wincanton.

However, I quite like DHL / Exel, and there are several other DHL / Exel sites close to home. We have been told that if we wish to stay with DHL, we need to arrrange alternative employment. This shouldn’t be a problem, though.

So, in theory I could work for either company. Just wondered if anybody had been employed by both companies, and who they preferred.

I’d be really grateful to hear the views of other drivers!

:open_mouth: ExHell and Cantwinno ? They’re both ■■■■■ mate. :laughing: :laughing:

With these big companies it really comes down to what the local depot is like. Generally as a guide I will no longer work for big companies like this they’re always changing things. Just as you get used to a manager he ■■■■■ off to another job and you’ve got some other ■■■■ to break in!

tartanraider:
With these big companies it really comes down to what the local depot is like. Generally as a guide I will no longer work for big companies like this they’re always changing things. Just as you get used to a manager he [zb] off to another job and you’ve got some other [zb] to break in!

Spot on Mate :wink:

But, if I was ever really stuck with a poxy choice like that, I would say Exhell would win by a gnats whisker. I did work at one place where Cantwinno took over the running, and let me tell you it got sooooooo much worse, and 99% of all the drivers left pronto… :unamused: :unamused:

I worked for both of them on the B&Q contract, Wincanton were much better than DHhell or Exhell, I have never worked for a company who put so much scrutiny on not only the drivers but the warehouse staff too.

Wincanton seemed to be a better and more approachable company to work for but i guess thats down to the management in charge at the time, when we moved to a brand new site at Worksop the management seem to be under a lot more pressure to outperform other depots with delivery timekeeping, MPG and getting the most out of the workers.

I dont like DHL/EXEL but i do like the customer B&Q.

sounds like not much will change really fenman apart from the name over the door and you’ll escape the yellow uniform :blush: .

they have to take over your contract as it is but will try to make it more efficent by changing your runs around . but there wont be that much diffrence.

jon

Never had a problem with EXEL although albeit with TradeTeam which was an exel backed company rather than directly working for exel . I left DHL after securicor managers started sticking there nose’s in and in my opinion started trying to implement change into a company they nothing about . Let’s not forget that way before the merger securicor omega logistics was about to fall flat on it’s face and nobody ( in this area ) wanted to work for them.Greedy merger as well . The new hierachy first time they stepped in through the door was to try and take pensions and health care schemes away . …
Anyone who peviously worked for securicor can try and defend them all they like , i have formed my opinion .
See what happens from now as Tradeteam is now a DHL company . Not really bothered to be honest . If DHL tries to stick it’s nose into transport that affects that could lead to an adverse affect on the breweries concerns then the brewery in no uncertain terms will kick them into touch .
I,ve mentioned it before , i hope DHL tries to palm Tradeteam off .

I preffered exel over dhl .

Worked at Wincanton Trafford Park for 5 years and for the last 4 at DHL/Exel

It all depends on the mangement as to what they are like to work for. If the depot/transport manager is eager to climb the mangement ladder they sometimes don’t mind putting a few peoples backs up and creating a bad atmosphere as they pass from one job/depot to another.

Get a good manager or even better still, transport clerks/planners who understand the job and everything can tick along nicely.

Both these companies work on the policy of keeping costs down to improve there own profits. The best policy is to bank your wages and don’t worry about the job when you get home, because they won’t worry about closing down/moving your depot to save the client money.

Thanks for all the info - I guess local conditions really are what make the job decent or not when it comes to firms like these.

At the end of the day, the money is reasonable. The TM is a decent bloke in my experience. The kit is fine, and well maintained. It is the steadiest job in the world. You are never under any pressure to break any rules - in fact people have been sacked for speeding.

I can’t see any of this changing. And as Jammy says,

jammymutt:
I dont like DHL/EXEL but i do like the customer B&Q.

I know what you mean. I like working for Somerfield.

Think I’m gonna stick with it