Anybody work Christmas Day

Just being nosey, no other reason. :smiley: …but what hourly rate did you get.
Was Boxing Day same rate, and tomorrow (tomorrow is Bank Hol isn’t it?)

Surely nobody was daft enough to work normal rate…or if you’re on a 4 on/4 off, is that the case?

I’ve not done one since my days of regular continental but Christmas Day I got triple time plus a day in lieu for it so it worked out about £56ish an hour back in about 2012.

Even on shifts Christmas Day is a no no, though confess i worked one Christmas morning back in the 90’s.

For about 6 hours work the pay was roughly £150 at the time and the guvnor (customer footed the bill so desperate were they) put £350 on the table as a bonus for anyone prepared to do what was needed, you can’t turn down a wedge like that, and yes if someone offered me the inflation linked (£800?) equivalent for 6 hours i’d do it again.

Closed xmas day. The 26th wherever it falls is the bank holiday for us rather than tomorrow. I worked 26th, normal rate plus double lieu hours so 2 days lieu for when the weather gets better. Also have the option of taking double time paid and 1 lieu day, I prefer the extra time off in the spring.

Closed xmas day but worked yesterday and was paid double up to 12am

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Yes 6 hrs in garage :laughing:

toonsy:
I’ve not done one since my days of regular continental but Christmas Day I got triple time plus a day in lieu for it so it worked out about £56ish an hour back in about 2012.

I was always lucky enough to get back home for Christmas in the old days, the kids were all young then, so I did everything I could (and succeeded) to do so.
Wouldn’t have volunteered to work it for any rate…I was asked at least once, but it was a good firm, a team firm, and they knew I’d do anything for them the rest of the year,.so they weren’t fussed.
There on after I always took a couple of weeks off, and just carried it on up to present day, so I always look forward to this time of year.

I have worked Christmas Day in the past, a long time ago now, but this was through choice and I was salaried at the time so I didn’t get any extra. I drove from Novgorod to Moscow and it was just a normal working day in Russia, a Tuesday I seem to recall. It did feel a bit strange writing 25/12 on the tachograph card.

I’d probably work Christmas Day now, it doesn’t really mean anything to me as I’m not religious and my kids are grown-up now although obviously I’d push for a high a rate as I could screw out of them. I’d sooner have the time off in the Summer.

robroy:

toonsy:

I was always lucky enough to get back home for Christmas in the old days, the kids were all young then, so I did everything I could (and succeeded) to do so.
Wouldn’t have volunteered to work it for any rate…I was asked at least once, but it was a good firm, a team firm, and they knew I’d do anything for them the rest of the year,.so they weren’t fussed.
There on after I always took a couple of weeks off, and just carried it on up to present day, so I always look forward to this time of year.

Twas the same boat for me but it was one that just went wrong, time tocked on and I got caught out. Happens all year round to some, it just happened to be Christmas Day. I did get back in the afternoon so wasn’t away all day

Feel sorry for those thousands of poor sods who got stuck in Kent and elsewhere due to the shenanigens of incompetent politicians, almost all of whom are unfit to lead them but who used them as pawns.

So many of them East Europeans, who won’t be getting anywhere near the rates we would have to be paid to turn up, no doubt many of them never got paid a bean for the time they were stood depending on the pay scheme.

Lots of EE wagons parked up at various MSA’s on Boxing Day, not worth trying to get home might as well sit it out where there’s some facilities.
One would hope the various managers at MSA who realised the predicament the lads were in at least offered them a free dinner on Christmas Day, assuming the services were open for food, i have no doubt if any of us were MSA managers we would have done the best we could for them.

Punchy Dan:

Bet your popular…

biggriffin:

Punchy Dan:

Bet your popular…

Making up for time I’am going to loose …

I have a pal who works in the local papermill, the mill never stops for xmas , they are paid £1000 if they are rostered on Xmas day.Regards Kev.

Punchy Dan:

biggriffin:

Punchy Dan:

Bet your popular…

Making up for time I’am going to loose …

I did hear a rumour that you were having your wallet surgically removed from your pocket Dan . Seriously though I hope it is nothing too serious you have that project to finish , good luck .

No thanks. Last time I worked Christmas Day I was wearing a flowery coloured uniform and carrying a gun!

Nowadays not a cat in hells chance.

robroy:
Just being nosey, no other reason. :smiley: …but what hourly rate did you get.
Was Boxing Day same rate, and tomorrow (tomorrow is Bank Hol isn’t it?)

Surely nobody was daft enough to work normal rate…or if you’re on a 4 on/4 off, is that the case?

Pretty much. Some companies may pay a bonus or a lieu day, but most wont. A bit like moaster in his flower costume, you know what you sign up for.

I struck lucky, I did three days overtime before, and got Christmas and boxing day off, but they are still paid as normal shift days. :grimacing:

Not sure about New Year’s day yet, it falls in the middle of my shifts, so I maybe working, or spend the day in the truck, depending on where I end up. It’s not like theres going to be a big booze up on New year’s eve…

I’m not fussed tbh. They all just days like the next.

the maoster:
No thanks. Last time I worked Christmas Day I was wearing a flowery coloured uniform and carrying a gun!

Nowadays not a cat in hells chance

So no chance of you making a comeback as ‘‘The Sleaford Gay Bank Robber’’ then. :smiley:

^^^^ ■■■■ you, you saw straight through my alter ego! :imp:

It was my choice but I was in a French MSA over Christmas as an owners driver, I thought I was being clever but it wasn’t clever .
Heavy snow on Christmas Day , sat in a cab watching the cars pull in full of presents while eating corned beef and noodles .
All you need is a dodgy night heater .

There were quite a few ee drivers parked up near where I live,I guess they were waiting for ports to open.
I remember when I was a bus driver,they were offering £250 for drivers to work new years eve 1999.That was a fair bit ,I only on £7 an hour at the time