Anybody know the reason?

Was following a freight forwarding artic up the A14 late friday afternoon, nothing unusual about that you think but it was the trucks “behaviour” that stood out.

sitting behind it from the M11/A14 junction heading w/b every so often the truck would start to drift to the left hand side, crossing the solid white line and it would stay there for about 10-15 seconds, the truck would then jolt and would rejoin the carriageway, this happended a few time on the A14, also slightly drifiting to the right hand side but not so much, he then im guessing mis-understood the road layout at the A14/A1 split as after we passed the water tower he pulled into lane 2 no traffic in lane one and he had cars queing up behind him, he then pulled back into lane 1.

i was limited to 52 and he was doing about 50 but was relucant to overtake in case i lost a mirror!!!, follwed him on the A1M northbound and the same thing happended, every so often the truck would slowly drift half on half off the hard shoulder for maybe 10-15 seconds then jolt and move back into lane, this happended a few times until i pulled off at the services and he carried on.

it wasnt windy so dont think it was side winds blowing him off course, was a standard taughtliner, anyone any idea what might of been wrong with the truck?

■■■■■■■ on the phone, reading a map, sleeping?

Probably down to the nut behind the wheel. Usually when overtaking a vehicle displaying the described behaviour you discover the driver is either on the phone or slumped up the window half asleep.

Driver nodding off, or texting, or dusting the dashboard, or making a sandwich and or a cup of coffee/tea, or watching a video, or reading a book. Just the normal things that cause this type of driving.

Coffeeholic:
Driver nodding off, or texting, or dusting the dashboard, or making a sandwich and or a cup of coffee/tea, or watching a video, or reading a book. Just the normal things that cause this type of driving.

thats what i thought, although normally they are just driving really slow in a straight line when you pass, then you see they are texting at the wheel not even trying to hide their transgression, or doing the crossword in the back on the paper, was just his swerving that caught my attention.

Pity he didn’t catch the attention of the local plod

Maybe map reading, like the driver of a well known supermarket artic on the M42 heading away from the M5 on Saturday morning.
He had it spread open over the steering wheel and was in his own world! Wonder if he was just reading the map out of boredom of doing 50mph or actually trying to work out where he was going :laughing:

Dont think it’d be the truck, more like the guy at the front end of the truck!