Anybody insure their own van on courier work?

On completing my CPC later this year (hopefully) I’m looking at starting out on my own doing europe wide express with a 3.5t Sprinter. I’ve been quoted around 400 for Goods in Transit insurance (inc. Euro work) but I’ve been quoted an eye-watering 4,700 to insure the van itself :open_mouth: Main problem being that I’m only 23.

Does anybody insure their own van that they use on domestic/European work? And also does anybody have tips to share on how to get the insurance down to a more reasonable level?

Cheers,
Andrew :sunglasses:

Try truckinsure in Croydon 0800 023 7310

buy the truck mags…commercial motor…truck and driver.
theres loads of them advertising.
they all say they are the cheapest.
its up to you to prove that.
also…google it.
there are insurers that dont advertise in these mags.
try your local brokers as well.
keep at it.
it seems a lot of money for a van.you could insure a 44 tonner for that.
the git quote is probably about right,but you might get that cheaper as well.
window shop and do plenty of it andy.

Andy Rich:
On completing my CPC later this year (hopefully) I’m looking at starting out on my own doing europe wide express with a 3.5t Sprinter.

Hi Andy, Slightly off your topic, but do you know you don’t actually need a CPC for a 3.5t Sprinter?

CPCs would be a good idea if you plan to move up the weight range at some point in the future, but you’d need both the Nat and the Int CPCs if you stick with Euroland.
I’m just thinking that, at present, the expense of doing the CPC is one that you might possibly postpone until your business picks up.
That way there might be a bit more in the pot with which to pay your insurance premium. :wink:

I was quoted 932 for a transit jumbo from business soluions If your looking at courier work have a look at www.link4couriers.co.uk the lads there will be able help you out

alix776:
If your looking at courier work have a look at www.link4couriers.co.uk the lads there will be able help you out

they weren’t very helpful when I looked in there :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

dieseldave:

Andy Rich:
On completing my CPC later this year (hopefully) I’m looking at starting out on my own doing europe wide express with a 3.5t Sprinter.

Hi Andy, Slightly off your topic, but do you know you don’t actually need a CPC for a 3.5t Sprinter?

CPCs would be a good idea if you plan to move up the weight range at some point in the future, but you’d need both the Nat and the Int CPCs if you stick with Euroland.
I’m just thinking that, at present, the expense of doing the CPC is one that you might possibly postpone until your business picks up.
That way there might be a bit more in the pot with which to pay your insurance premium. :wink:

Thanks for all the replies :smiley:

I know I don’t need the CPC for 3.5t work but I thought it may be a good idea to get it first to have a better understanding of how a business works. It’s not costing me a great deal really as I’m trying to do it using the self-study books, so c.50 quid for the books and c.150 for the exams if I attempt them. Even if(when :unamused: ) I fail the exams I should at least have gained some knowledge after reading the book of the documentation, insurance etc. required and the laws involved.

At the moment I’m not really sure how far this idea’s going to get as I would really need to be able to make it pay to warrant spending out on a van, insurance etc. I’ve seen rates quoted for both euro and domestic work and they seem to be quite reasonable. Only thing that’s really putting me off is that there’s no guarantee that I’d be able to get regular work, if any at all even though there does seem to be quite a bit of work about at the moment.

Andy Rich:
p

I know I don’t need the CPC for 3.5t work but I thought it may be a good idea to get it first to have a better understanding of how a business works. It’s not costing me a great deal really as I’m trying to do it using the self-study books, so c.50 quid for the books and c.150 for the exams if I attempt them. Even if(when :unamused: ) I fail the exams I should at least have gained some knowledge after reading the book of the documentation, insurance etc. required and the laws involved.

there’s very little connection between the CPC exam and the knowledge required to run a business :wink: