Anybody got ADHD? Need advice!

Afternoon,

I’m looking at going in for my class 2/1 training in the next few months - I’ve got my medical in a few days with my doctor then sending off the forms to have the entitlement added. Before I do that though, I wanted to pick some brains about some bits and bobs.

I’ve got a few “issues” - I’ve got Dyspraxia, Asperger’s and ADHD-PI (Predominately Inattentive). The dyspraxia isn’t a problem, I can drive fine as it is and drive for a living anyway. Asperger’s isn’t anything other than socially awkward, it’s mild at best but my concern is ADHD, specifically the meds. I take a non-stimulant for it, Strattera and I’m settled on it but I know that it can cause issues potentially. I take Citalopram as well for depression but it’s a very low dose and I’m in all honesty coming off it in the near future as the ADHD meds have an anti-depressant effect anyway.

Any drivers here have it and did it cause any hiccups regarding becoming a driver?

Ta.

sabian92:
Afternoon,

I’m looking at going in for my class 2/1 training in the next few months - I’ve got my medical in a few days with my doctor then sending off the forms to have the entitlement added. Before I do that though, I wanted to pick some brains about some bits and bobs.

I’ve got a few “issues” - I’ve got Dyspraxia, Asperger’s and ADHD-PI (Predominately Inattentive). The dyspraxia isn’t a problem, I can drive fine as it is and drive for a living anyway. Asperger’s isn’t anything other than socially awkward, it’s mild at best but my concern is ADHD, specifically the meds. I take a non-stimulant for it, Strattera and I’m settled on it but I know that it can cause issues potentially. I take Citalopram as well for depression but it’s a very low dose and I’m in all honesty coming off it in the near future as the ADHD meds have an anti-depressant effect anyway.

Any drivers here have it and did it cause any hiccups regarding becoming a driver?

Ta.

Can’t help with the main question but citalopram made me feel drunk, fuzzy head and I could not handle that with working… And I think it’s a VERY addictive drug!

There’s a link somewhere stating what can and cannot be taken, someone will be able to find it for you me thinks.

yt03:
Can’t help with the main question but citalopram made me feel drunk, fuzzy head and I could not handle that with working… And I think it’s a VERY addictive drug!

There’s a link somewhere stating what can and cannot be taken, someone will be able to find it for you me thinks.

Aye, Sertraline did that for me as well. Citalopram is much better but like I said I’m going to come off it hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks. I don’t find it addictive, I suppose I’m just weary to mess with it if it isn’t doing any harm.

I have googled to no avail, I’ve obviously not used the right search terms to find what I need! :frowning:

Try searching on this forum, or try looking in the health section on the main page pal.

I just typed in health conditions and driving on Google and it brought a list up of medical conditions.

I feel your pain Brother. I suffer with split personality issues. In fact…I have to go.

Apparently I have just ■■■■■■ myself off.

I’ve seen the list because DVLA know about my issues - I meant more in a medical exam sense to be honest. They know anyway, it’s just if anybody’s medical exam caused any issues.

sabian92:
I’ve seen the list because DVLA know about my issues - I meant more in a medical exam sense to be honest. They know anyway, it’s just if anybody’s medical exam caused any issues.

If the DVLA know about your medical history, and your GP and/or Consultant haven’t advised you against it, and I’m more thinking about your Consultant here, then I really don’t think you will have any thing to worry about when it comes to your medical examination.

sabian92:

yt03:

Aye, Sertraline did that for me as well. Citalopram is much better but like I said I’m going to come off it hopefully in the next 6-8 weeks. I don’t find it addictive, I suppose I’m just weary to mess with it if it isn’t doing any harm.! :frowning:

Though its a good sign for your Mental health that you feel strong enough to withdraw from the Anti Depresent, I would be careful, that at a time when you will be under some considerable stress, withdrawing from the anti depresent may not be best advised. Think that through carefully, no need to set your health back. if the drug is not preventing you from driving.

Best of luck Mate :smiley:

May sound daft but have you tried swimming regally reason I say this is because a few years ago I was a swimming club coach had a kid who had similar problems but after a few mth of swimming he had improved his condition so much that the consultant hardly wanted to see him again his mother was so grateful

But I take a number of prescribed medication & I drive

There is another driver ( member on here ) who has MS & holds a full licence

A good read in the health forum might help

viewforum.php?f=12

eagerbeaver:
I feel your pain Brother. I suffer with split personality issues. In fact…I have to go.

Apparently I have just ■■■■■■ myself off.

Not just yourself mate…
ES aren’t your greatest fans either! :grimacing:
And then there’s US! :laughing:

I am feeling bad about the way I have upset folk.

The other me doesn’t give a [zb] though Beezle.

I have ADHD (dunno which type) and never had an issue but I don’t take medication for it. I just find I can be a bit more forgetful sometimes. Didn’t have any issue with medical.

sabian92:
Afternoon,

Ta.

Hi Sabian,
I have a full licence and two mental health disorders. My licence gets reviewed every year because I take mirtazipine 45mg highest dose, which is an anti depressant. I am on it for life.
I find I should avoid night shifts, and also can’t work too long hours. Which basically means there’s only a few jobs out there suitable. I decided to get my HIAB as most of those jobs are Monday to Friday and only 8-10 hr shifts.
Also I can’t switch or come off my medication because it would interfere with sleep and starting new medication usually means drowsiness for 2-4 weeks. I find as long as I am strict on when I take it, don’t drink and look after myself I am fine and can work driving trucks.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Sounds like builders yards are the place to be.

my sons on strattera and the wife’s on citalopram and both are driving on the meds, so I doubt you will have any problems re the medical requirements