Anybody download their own tacho-head?

Sounds like im about to find out for myself how to do this, me along with the bint in the office.
How easy or hard is it?
Its a Siemens VU by the way.

Ours is just a case of pop the chip end in first bud

I used to use a device like this.

You download your card direct into that, to download the VU, you put the company card in the VU, then open the little cover between the ejects, stick the wire in there, then click FULL or Interim (words may vary). Takes a while, about 30-40 mins for a full, it stores the info on the SD card, which you can then put through analysing software.

VERY easy, just a little time consuming.

I used to do 5 trucks at weekend for Turners, allocated around 3hrs or so for that + all paperwork

We used to do our own either at the home depot or in France.

Simple, insert company card, then when it asks, insert device.

Where it says download fault 12. Don’t worry, they all do that sir!

I have actually just learned something new about the Siemens key

Our resident horserider wrote this a few months ago.

Download Fault 12 on the before v1.3 VDO tachos isn’t a fault with the download as such. Basically the download key tells the VU to send the data for particular days. At the end of each bit of downloading the VU runs a check process where it asks the download key if it got the data. Now, for all sorts of perfectly legitimate reasons there may be a bit of data ‘missing,’ the VU asks ‘did you get all the Data?’ The download Key responds ‘no’ and you get ‘download fault 12’ shown on the VU display. Don’t worry about it, let the download run its’ course and remember to copy the data off the key to a secure storage location, for example to PC and a back-up copy to CD or something similar.

Apparently you can use this one key to download the driver card too. Logic and convention say that the company card should go in slot one. It isn’t necessary for a download, you can leave the driver card in slot one, put the company card in slot two and it will download both lots of data, or only one of them.

That has got to be better for the OD or small fleet owner.

Cheers fella’s, totally differant to how i thought it would be. I had visions of me sitting in the cab with a USB type interface and a laptop. You learn summat new every day!

I did mine yesterday. As others have said, very simple. Insert the company card, then pop open the cover in between the driver 1 and 2 buttons and plug the device in. I use a Digidown Plus and there are only three buttons on it, one to download data from a digicard, one to do a full data download from the VU and one to download only data collected since the last download.

When the instrument is downloading the red LED blinks quickly, when it has finished it blinks slowly. It takes about 30 minutes as others have said.

Then plug the SD card into a PC, or connect the instrument to a PC using a USB cable and it will copy it onto the PC and open the relevant program.

Thanks Harry, sounds easy enough.