Any tips on driving the new Actros?

Just been handed this for a few weeks on demo

Note the australian sky, its 43 bloody degrees today, not pleasant, but the actros has great air con.

anyway, my previous truck was a 99 actros, with a clutch, so ive driven this around for one full day so far, and found that its very similar to the scania opticruise box when running in full auto, in that it changes up and down way too often, and often at times when i really would like it not to, so ive found myself over riding the auto mode most of the time, particularly when loaded.

any tips for getting the best out of it?
also, my dash says the Ad Blue is at 82 litres, does that mean it WANTS 82 litres, or it HAS 82 litres?

as with my old actros when she used to tell me OIL - 6 LITRES, she wanted 6 as opposed to being at 6.

Beattun, I’ve driven the auto Actros a few times, and as you say it has a habit when loaded of changing too many times. I didn’t particularly find it a problem on major A roads or motorways, but on country roads I found myself doing as you do and overiding it. Don’t really know the answer to that apart from carrying on as you do.

As for the Adblue, ours hold about 8 Gallons from empty, so are you sure it’s reading in litres and not saying 8.6 gallons?

Not a lot of help I’m afraid dude.

The Adblu tells you what you got not what you need ( the same as fuel really ) i assume you got the four blue bars following the line of your fuel gauge too, thats the only thing you really need to visually check for the amount of adblu you got… 4 bars lit = full, 2 bars lit = 1/2 full, 1 bar lit = time to start thinking about finding some adblu

As for modern autos (no i havent driven the actros auto) but the same rule usually applies for all, drive it with the accelerator, i.e. if you want it to change up lift your foot off the gas a bit and it will change up for you, press down further on the gas and it will change down for you, Basically imagine your changing gear manually as you’d be engaging the clutch you lift your foot off the gas to change up to the next gear, it takes a bit of time to get a feel for it but it works well on the Scania opticruise and Volvo i shifts

I’ve never understood these drivers who think a gas pedal only has 2 positions fully on or fully off ( and then they wonder why their fuel economy is [zb] and the auto box is all over the shop)

I think i get your meaning reef, but I’ve found that even in auto mode, i can have my foot to the floor (not difficult with the actros) and its still not pushing itself into high revs, and then when im in manual mode, ive found i need to give it a lot more rev than i feel i should be giving it, but this seems to be necessary to maintain momentum and change up the gears.

Don’t forget the kickdown which is quite a hard push pzast the end of the normal accelerator travel. This will get the box to drop a gear and hold the revs much higher when you need it.

The problem with this particular box Reef is that if you’re sat in auto mode and unless you’re on the limiter or climing a gradient, sitting on a partial throttle will cause the box to “hunt” through the gears. Dunno if I made that clear there; kind of up and down for no apparent reason if you get my drift

the maoster:
The problem with this particular box Reef is that if you’re sat in auto mode and unless you’re on the limiter or climing a gradient, sitting on a partial throttle will cause the box to “hunt” through the gears. Dunno if I made that clear there; kind of up and down for no apparent reason if you get my drift

Yeah i get your meaning m8…Sounds about right for an actroceos :laughing:

I suppose i shouldn’t have compared it to a decent auto box :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’d be handing the keys back and askin for something better :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A Volvo has to be better of was this a cheap way of hiring a truck ■■

the new auto box in the actros is the same box volvo uses in its i-shift so you should have a good box there im sure after a few hours you should have the hang of it. I notice youve got a flat roof there your not tramping are you?

nick2008:
I’d be handing the keys back and askin for something better :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A Volvo has to be better of was this a cheap way of hiring a truck ■■

he usually gets a freightliner and an actros on demo every year, sometimes a daf or a scania, kenworth as well, and then goes and buys an actros.

theyve been buying daimler chrysler trucks for many many years.

but, yeah, not a bad way to get an extra truck for a few weeks!

scotslad:
the new auto box in the actros is the same box volvo uses in its i-shift so you should have a good box there im sure after a few hours you should have the hang of it. I notice youve got a flat roof there your not tramping are you?

im on local work (up to 300 - 400 kms max), i notice she’s got no bunk air con anyway so really i wouldnt be able to cope with the heat, but my last actros was a daycab, so this is a bit of a bonus for me