Any tips for safe driving in winter?

I have only been driving class one since March this year (class 2 for 2 years) and wonder if any of you more experienced drivers out there could pass over some tips for myself and other novices. I know the winters we have been having over the previous years haven’t been that bad but we still get the odd day when the snow or ice may catch the gritters out (M11/M25 last winter!)

All well and good with the common sense manouvres like no harsh braking or jerky steering but what about when the unexpected happens - i.e. jacknife (what exactly happens here?) when fully loaded is there more traction and less slipping on snow or is that a false sense of security?

I have a clean sheet regarding accidents and would like to keep it that way so if anyone has any tips at all I would appreciate them.

last winter have already hade snow in october jedburugh - edinburgh

october 21

Jacknife is when you apply the brakes, the trailer locks up while the unit brakes properly (and so slows down quicker) which makes your trailer overtake your unit, sideways (even more likely on a bend).
What to do? Keep an eye on both mirrors, as well as in front, and if your trailer starts to step out, release the brake pedal. Everything should then straighten up, giving you the opportunity (hopefully) to try again or steer around the obstacle. ABS systems are supposed to make this a problem of the past!

A few tips for snow.
Don’t use your exhaust brake on slippery roads, ( it might lock up your drive axle).
Keep the drivers window open slightly (you can then pick up changes in tyre noise easily). Tyres on slick ice are silent, so go very careful when things go quiet.
You should not use your Dif-Lock, except as a last resort, and as soon as you get some grip, knock it off. Torque forces (built up when taking bends on grippy roads), can destroy the dif’ and or your gearbox if you carry on with the dif-lock on.
When things get too bad, park up, brew up, draw the snow curtains and phone in.
Carry brew-up gear, bedding and a couple of cans of soup you never know, it could be you stuck on the M11 (or wherever this year) for a day and night.

I’me sure that others will add to this, but these’ll do to start with.

My first response to this question is.

Do like the ducks and move south

but as that’s not always feasible then be prepeared.

Keep your screen wash topped up with winter strength fluid.
carry emergency supplies.
Reduce your speed in poor conditions.
Look out for warnings of ice i.e mirror arms freezing or lack of spray from the road.
Drive as if you have the examiner sat next to you and aim for the smoothest drive possible.
Increase your stopping distance from the vehicle in front
When you think things are getting dodgey you should have been parked up ten minutes ago.
Forget all about delivery times, no load is so hot that it doesn’t quickly cool down in a ditch.

Above all relax and take things as they come but don’t try the impossible.

Good luck

I have been driving trucks since 1975 and thought I’d hed some harsh winters in the UK. I have known temps of 35 below freezing on the M1 and derv freezing despite the in line heater. Being stuck on the motorway because of 6" of snow. Just keep your distance and drive at the speed you feel is safe. Do not get over confident when you feel the truck si handling ok at a certain speed because thats how things go wrong.
I thought I knew it all till I moved here but after driving 600 miles a day through snow up to 1ft deep (they do not plough the roads in some states for days, I can tell you “You ain’t seen, nor will see heavy snow over there”
I am dreading this winter and it has already started. I had 3" of snow falling around me as I went through the Green Mountains early Friday morning followed by an ice storm on the other side, snow is a doddle compared to an ice storm.

STAY IN BED!!! :wink: :laughing:

TAKE YOUR TIME… dont rush when its bad weather. if unsure stop. Dont rish your life for ANY load.

Thanks for the above I will take note of it all. :smiley:

I had already decided that if in my opinion the road conditions meant driving further would be unsafe or dangerous I would park up. I’m glad others think the same because somehow I don’t think those in the traffic office would accept it especially as it may be sunny or fine weather where they are.

All goods I carry are non perishable so they can always have them another day anyway :wink: LOL

Thanks all and if there are any more keep em coming

I dont care if its perishable or not… all that i care about is my safety, my drivers safty and other peoples safety. the end of the day NO load is worth a life (or in some cases more than 1)

Been through 23 winters, and touch wood been OK. All I do is take me time, leave a big gap and dont hammer em on. Fog is the pits, and I go real carefull in that, they just have to lump it in the winter when it comes to what time I get there, better than dont get there at all!

Mal.

As an agency driver … one tip on really bad days like that is to turn your phone off and go back to sleep … stay safe, stay in bed :laughing:

blimey, talk about reviving an old thread. only 4 1/2 years later!

Yep just in time for the summer too… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Reef:
Yep just in time for the summer too… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Well, as they teach you in the army, always try to plan ahead :open_mouth:

Driveroneuk:

:open_mouth: Lord…just how many pages back has RAGNAROK gone :question: must have had a really quiet day :unamused:

Maybe he was snowed in?

sharky the shredder:

Driveroneuk:

:open_mouth: Lord…just how many pages back has RAGNAROK gone :question: must have had a really quiet day :unamused:

I just hope I don’t develop that awful habit of reading the ending of a book first :laughing: