Any tips for driving in snow/ice

Hi all as subject says as this is my first winter driving since only recently passing c+e and getting a job just wondering about brakes as they are alot more effective than car brakes and reversing so most of the job really :smiley:

Keep the speed down and gentle on the brakes and stay out of lane 1 and 2 on a motorway, also if you see a Stobart lorry leaving the motorway at the same junction you want then miss it and exit at the next junction.

Slow and steady wins the day. Use gears and retarder/exhaust brake instead of brakes to slow. Don’t boot it out of roundabouts. If you start to skid, DONT HIT THE BRAKES, just dip the clutch if its a manual.

Brakes: It is quite possible to brake gently in a truck and virtually all of them have ABS and EBS to help you avoid skidding.
In general: Avoid doing anything sudden and do everything gently.
Allow yourself at least double or even treble the stopping distance.
The biggest problem in snow is other drivers who mainly seem to drive ludicrously slowly and can leave you stopped when you could have kept going.
The main problem I had last winter was parked up trucks all over the M25 and M2, closing the curtains and going to sleep on the hard shoulder
and lane one, not to mention both lanes of the slip road to the M2,was less than helpful to those of us who drive at night. :frowning:
If you find yourself on sheet ice, there is not much to do except pray, as nothing will stop on that.
Hopefully, we won’t have a winter like the last two.

Edit… using a retarder or engine brake on snow or ice is not recommended, it only acts on the drive axle and can cause a jack knife.

Regards,
Nick.

Edit… using a retarder or engine brake on snow or ice is not recommended, it only acts on the drive axle and can cause a jack knife.

I was always told this.

I too have not had much experience in the snow.
l’ve missed it last 2 years as i was’nt out driving.
Its going down hills i worry about

Agree about the retarder,foot brake boyo.

1.) Keep enough Distance to Vehicle in front of You as its difficult to stop
2.) avoid exhaust Brake and Retarder as Drive Wheel may stop and Engine killed,so you lose Power Steering,and also may result in Jack knifing
3.) Go with low Speed into R/B and accelerate out. Always try to Pull,dont let the trailer push you,which could result in Jack knifing
4.) You feel by pulling off about the Grip.try as test to pull of hard if it grips without much slip on Drive Wheel.Dont worry.it doesn’t bite :slight_smile: but dont do it on Bends as you would go in power Slide.
5.) Mind lose of Traction by 3 Axle unit and light load on fifth Wheel.Try having first 2 Meter middle heavy,then Full Weight from fifth wheel to Middle trailer axle and again not much Weight after last trailer Axle.
6.) Remember where the Front Wheel looking too,as they will go that Way when they catch grip.
7.) Be quick with sSteering against slip,as too much Steering can be adjusted,but not enough will end in getting out of Control (Jack knife)
Be quick with it. “Quicker react then Think”!

Ehhh…
ABS will not work propperly in case of emergency if you pump your brake Pedal or dont push it fully down.You may run till alaska till you stop.
If you need to stop urgent dont think.just full down and keep front Wheel running where Vehicle needs to go.

Steering wheel is not to hold you,hold your balance or,it also doesnt helps you more if you hold it harder.You can steer with one finger.
What you need is to hold it softly but strikt,and be quick,just steering with your hands,not with shoulder or hole body as i see often. :exclamation:

Keep it smooth. Never mix steering, gear changing, braking or acceleration. Keep it smooth. Sudden anything is asking for trouble! Keep it smooth. Slow down - chances are whatever you think you are going too fast to be able to stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear. Keep it smooth.

Did I mention that harsh anything could result in loss of control? Keep it smooth and everything else will come together. Adjust speed to match stopping distances.

And remember to keep it smooth.

And most of all enjoy it. It’s the most fun you can have driving a truck.

Slow and steady wins the day. Use gears and retarder/exhaust brake instead of brakes to slow. Don’t boot it out of roundabouts. If you start to skid, DONT HIT THE BRAKES, just dip the clutch if its a manual.

DO NOT do this.

I’m sorry, but bad advice needs pointing out. The exhaust brake essentially only affects your driving axle, whereas the footbrake acts on all of them. Same again for the gears, do not go down the box to slow down, as you might do in the dry.

So unless you want to get intimate with the signwriting on your trailer, then turn your exhaust brake off in the ice and snow, and go slow and steady, using the footbrake lightly if you need to slow down.

Momentum is king, only stop when you have to.

Coffeeholic:
And most of all enjoy it. It’s the most fun you can have driving a truck.

Indeed it is, as long as you keep it smooth

And if your gut instinct says “don’t do it” then don’t! I know! I did the “Detling Hill” in 2009! And I didn’t go with my instinct! :open_mouth:
I agree with Coffee and Switch! It’s good fun! I was Top Gear style powersliding on the ICE at Symingtons yard last Jan! :laughing: No trailer on of course!
Oh! And be especially careful with an empty trailer! :blush:

Don’t forget this tip…

NO_YELLOW_SNOW.jpg

Momentum is your friend, but it’s also your enemy! Don’t wait untill you’re stuck to put diff lock in, same goes for the midlift, do it at the bottom of the hill. even at full weight most trucks should be able to lift or dump the air from the midlift, don’t wait untill you need it to try and work it out, dig the book out and have a practice if you’re not 100%. Do a brake test, or acceleration tests to determine grip levels. Easier said than done try not to be scared of it, an give it some when needed!

Stevie

best one is this.

dont go out in it lol…unfortunatly i have to go drive in it today :smiley:

some good advice here im the same as the op its my first class 1 driving in winter although i done a few winters in class 2 this is a whole new ball game :confused:

Hiya …good info from all the above, if the snow gets 12ft deep(A53 flash nr buxton 1983) have the day off
and go playing in the 4x4 thats what i did.

John

Contrary to some veiws and advice … after 35 years of truck driving and the last 12 spent driving in heavy snow and ice during winter I can tell you now that switching of the exhaust brake is NOT wise. If the exhaust brake / Retarder doesn’t slow you in snow your foot brake deffinately will not. If the power of the exhaust brake is adjustable lower the power but always use it before you try braking.

spot on pat , use the exhaust brake to test conditions , if it causes slip you know to be very cautious using the footbrake . smooth and steady will get you there , dave