Any thoughts ?

I thought it may be an AEC, but I’m not sure.

Seen near slate quarries in North Wales.

You woz spoilt in them days :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like a handy piece of kit with the winch and mud plugging tyres

It had the look of a typical ex-military wagon, but from before my time! Tried to get some closer photos, but was told to go forth. I had to rely on the telephoto on my new camera. I think they came out quite well. :blush:

yep its a aec

I did a quick search and found these on the AEC Militant site.

Certainly looks like the beast in question! Nice restoration project for someone with an hour or two to spare :laughing:

there was something that looked like that down orford ness a few years ago with a crane on it to lift boats out the water, i will see if i can find the pic i have of it

What really shocked me was that it wasn’t raining in those North Wales pics!!! :laughing:

…and the headlamps are not in the same place as the others. :smiley:

its a matador though isnt it, not a militant

Its got the Matador cab…

biggusdickusgb:
its a matador though isnt it, not a militant

It is a Matador. There are still quite a few working for a living, mainly on forrestry work. The off road ability of the AEC Matador was fantastic. My dad used to look after matadors when he was in the RAF and he always said that they were better off road than a Land Rover.

My first working unit was 7 Field Force, HQ Sqn, based in Colchester. Next to us were 10 Sqn RCT who had 6x6 AEC knockers, I think they were Militants. They had a later cab design.
I found this brochure which is the one I knew as a knocker.

I drove Bedford MK’s then MJ’s (the 4x4 TK). MJ’s had a turbo’ed engine but were still gutless. Even so they were better cross country than a Land Rover, unless the trees got too close together :blush: .

Simon:
…Next to us were 10 Sqn RCT who had 6x6 AEC knockers, I think they were Militants. They had a later cab design.
I found this brochure which is the one I knew as a knocker.

Thats the Mark 3 Militant Chassis - the last incarnation of one of AEC’s finest vehicles.

Here’s a pic of the one my brother used to own.

Spoilt to death these laterday squaddies! :frowning:

226 horses? :open_mouth: If mine had any horse power it kept them well hidden !

My old beast of an AEC, which was front line transport in the early seventies, had a top speed of 33 MPH, and a five speed crash box. No heater, or demister, and air operated wipers.

The one advantage of them over other military transport of its era was the early inception of a sleeper cab - Two giant toolboxes, that had a six foot length of plywood over them as a bed. The “night heater” was a “Bengazi burner”.

Ah! Happy days !

Only just spotted this and found someon’s posted a picture of one of my old ones - YVS 404 the yellow one at the front of Harry’s picture. I think that 'photo was taken at the Matt & Milly gathering at Wroughton about 5-6 years ago.

Great fun but a flat slab for a seat, a clutch that used to take all my 11 stone to hold down, no power steering and the noise and heat from the engine filling the cab makes a 100 mile weekend trip to a rally seem a hell of a long way in one of those! You’ve really got to admire the stamina of the men who used to drive them all day.

Had to sell it when the kids came along as no time or money to keep it on the road!