Any tanker drivers please? heating oil

Any Idea what this is?

It was left next to my gate after (I think) a heating oil delivery I had just before Christmas.

At a guess, either some sort of depth gauge, or a tool for lifting a manhole cover?

Chris1207:
At a guess, either some sort of depth gauge, or a tool for lifting a manhole cover?

Aye, good shout about the lifting thing for a manhole cover!
Not one here on the ground but I spose it could be the cover on the truck itself.
Cheers, Chris!

depending on his persuasion it could easily be for fishing through your letterbox to hook the keys of the x5 etc from your hall table due to the difficulty in boosting cars with chipped keys nowadays. :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
depending on his persuasion it could easily be for fishing through your letterbox to hook the keys of the x5 etc from your hall table due to the difficulty in boosting cars with chipped keys nowadays. :slight_smile:

Most likely
Looks to thin for large man hole key but could be a water meter stop ■■■■ flap key

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the pipe hollow and does that hose cover more pipe or is that part just hose? Doesn’t look like the shape for a manhole or stop ■■■■ type of tool.

Man-hole cover keys are usually a bit thicker metal than that and a bit shorter too, with a double metal point at the bottom from memory. Possible something for the tanker lids/hoses at guess or whats been said above.

Manhole cover key, heating oil ground tanks have general small manhole covers (the size of a normal dinner plate)
It’s big enough for that and more than heavy enough.
Mostimes carried in the hose rack, so taken out when they took the hose out for delivery.

Or otherwise for the waterboard, for meter reading (if you have your water meter outside in the ground.

Because in both cases the manhole is light enough to lift from a standing position.

For fishing your keys, they would use a much thinner piece of fencing wire, as they need to bend it into shape. (Wire like the old fashioned metal coat hangers)

dieseldog999:

X5!!! I wish. I drive a truck for a living FFS!! :laughing: :laughing:
That piece of stainless is worth more than my car and I don’t have a letter box in the door. :laughing:
Thanks for the replies fella’s.
I reckon its summat to do with manhole covers as above.

Gembo:

dieseldog999:

X5!!! I wish. I drive a truck for a living FFS!! :laughing: :laughing:
That piece of stainless is worth more than my car and I don’t have a letter box in the door. :laughing:
Thanks for the replies fella’s.
I reckon its summat to do with manhole covers as above.

manhole covers wins it…and mostly they would use those wee telescopic collapsible fishing rods to reach your keys so that if there stopped,they cant be done for being equipped to steal…unsurprisingly enough that method of nicking your car using the keys from the house is called…fishing. :slight_smile:

Looks like a reach pole the Tesco delivery drivers use to get to the back of the van might be used for the same sort of thing in the heating oil trucks.

I know it might be unusual thinking outside the box, but have you considered phoning the oil Co and asking them if one of their drivers left something behind?

It’s definitely not for the tank lids they dont have anything like that associated with them. They have a small brass key that unlocks them and a foot stomp lock to shut them.
I doubt many heating companies even allow their employes to top load anymore, so they have no need to go on top.
I’ve never seen anything like it except as mentioned for manhole covers, or some waste oil tanks have top opening lids and we often use things to prop them open, but most heating oil tanks aren’t designed this way.