Any Shunters care to explain!

Whenever I see a fellow driver who I think may be having a issue, I always try and offer some assistance. Maybe the fact I got maps of that area, or a smartphone to get a google address etc. although they does come a time where a new driverish has to reverse on a bay. Considering we are allowed out in the community we could spend 99.8 of our working life on the public highway.

The going backwards bit only happens occasionally in our day.

lilysgranpa:
We sat and watched a bloke take over an hour to put a trailer on a bay the other week, nothing for two bays either side, plenty space to back on straight. the poor bloke even asked one of us to do it for him. So your ten minutes is fine mate.
but i guess four shunters sat watching does put you off a bit. :grimacing:

So that’s 4 shunters who reckon there the bees Knees! Who stay within the confines of a concrete pad for a 12hr shift! Who I assume sniffle and smirk just because a driver who is not savvy enough yet, has made a mistake!

Why do you think because you know the yard, the layout, where to position etc do you think a driver who has to face hundreds of different yards/procedures/directions that your a step ahead.

If you shunters were that good then you would be on the road with us, or is it your not allowed beyond the wire fence!

Don’t even get me started on shunters :unamused: :unamused:

If they could drive they would - nuff said :slight_smile:

chester:
Whenever I see a fellow driver who I think may be having a issue, I always try and offer some assistance. Maybe the fact I got maps of that area, or a smartphone to get a google address etc. although they does come a time where a new driverish has to reverse on a bay. Considering we are allowed out in the community we could spend 99.8 of our working life on the public highway.

lilysgranpa:
We sat and watched a bloke take over an hour to put a trailer on a bay the other week, nothing for two bays either side, plenty space to back on straight. the poor bloke even asked one of us to do it for him. So your ten minutes is fine mate.

So that’s 4 shunters who reckon there the bees Knees! Who stay within the confines of a concrete pad for a 12hr shift! Who I assume sniffle and smirk just because a driver who is not savvy enough yet, has made a mistake!

Why do you think because you know the yard, the layout, where to position etc do you think a driver who has to face hundreds of different yards/procedures/directions that your a step ahead.

If you shunters were that good then you would be on the road with us, or is it your not allowed beyond the wire fence!

Been a driver a lot longer than i been a shunter. job change to suit my personal life.
And yes, some shunters are ■■■■■■■■ met my fair share of em over the years.
As for the above quote, get a sense of humour. I refer you to the origional post and my reply.
I will try to help any driver out if i can, but theres only so much you can do.
I am allowed past the wire fence, but thats just to go for a smoke. :smiley:

Well that’s a bit unfair, most shunters are going to be good drivers.

Some will help you out, some wont. Simples.

I couldn’t sit and watch a chap struggling without offering to help, I’d be squirming.

chester:

lilysgranpa:

It might not be a case of them not wanting to help, they may have tried before and got their help thrown back in his face by an arrogant youngster who thinks he knows it all, just like they can be with any other sensible advise you try to give em!

gardun:

those who can - drive

those who can’t - shunt

shuttlespanker:

gardun:

those who can - drive

those who can’t - shunt

I shunt because the shift pattern suits me. All this cobblers about shunters cant drive I have 25 years commercial driving experience and a clean licence, member of IAM and a former driving instructor but I choose not to go beyond the fence, The standard of some LGV drivers that I see is shocking but they are the ones that are quick to judge others, and as for putting a trailer on a bay for a driver I wouldn’t do it, I would help and instruct the driver so that they can complete that task themselves and feel more confident in the future.

What are turbergs like to spend a shift in? Are they comfortable? Do they have radios in them etc?

shuttlespanker:

gardun:

those who can - drive

those who can’t - shunt

We’re rota’d so we get one or two weeks artic, 2-3 weeks w & d with demounts along with a couple of weeks of being spare drivers (in case of sickness/urgent jobs) when we’d be shunting if in the yard.

Personally, if you’re an arse in the yard, you’re an arse out on the road.
Some people have no patience for anything or anyone.

FarnboroughBoy11:
What are turbergs like to spend a shift in? Are they comfortable? Do they have radios in them etc?

radio/cd player ipod connection. fairly comfortable but as i’m in and out a lot you don’t get to comfy. however the new one that I got don’t seem as robust as the old one.

I was a shunter at Tesco in MK and Brackmills for a couple of years. I will be honest, if it was a very tight bay or turning area I would tell the driver to drop the trailer and I would put it on the bay for him. Truth is as far as I am concerned … You hold a licence to drive that vehicle, you therefore took thet test, you therefore should be able to reverse it safely or has the test changed so much over the years ? When I took mine I spent the first 30 minutes on an obsticle course reversing around cones and into a bay, if you couldn’t do it you were not allowed to go out on the road and the test ended there and then. I have the same attitude now really, if you hold the licence you must have passed the test, if you can’t reverse the thing you are in the wrong job.
I know that nobody passes perfectly or reverses perfectly but it’s up to that person to perfect the process over time.

weeto:

chester:

lilysgranpa:

It might not be a case of them not wanting to help, they may have tried before and got their help thrown back in his face by an arrogant youngster who thinks he knows it all, just like they can be with any other sensible advise you try to give em!

“arrogant youngster who thinks he knows it all” +1

All shunters @ tesco are ■■■ holes, I don’t give a ■■■■ what you or anyone else says…any problems bring it on!!! Btw i’ll put any trailer on any bay in any vehicle any time in any weather!

What a load of bollox,there’s no such thing as a “real” Shunter to-day,well if you call reversing an M/T van or T/liner onto a bay “shunting” then pulling it off and parking it in a rank well fair enough lads you don’t know you are born :blush: Now if to-days “Shunters” could load,sheet and rope 10 or a dozen 40ft flats a day,now that is “shunting” in the truest sense and the lads that did this are worthy of real admiration, and a lot of their work was in inclement weather i.e. ■■■■■■■ down and windy :cry: A good Shunter was worth 10 drivers IMHO as in those days there was,usually,no way a driver would swap his lot for that of a Shunter.Same thing applies to to-days “Trampers”,do me a favour,the use of the term is an insult to drivers of yesteryear :cry: :cry: Bewick.

Bewick:
What a load of bollox,there’s no such thing as a “real” Shunter to-day,well if you call reversing an M/T van or T/liner onto a bay “shunting” then pulling it off and parking it in a rank well fair enough lads you don’t know you are born :blush: Now if to-days “Shunters” could load,sheet and rope 10 or a dozen 40ft flats a day,now that is “shunting” in the truest sense and the lads that did this are worthy of real admiration, and a lot of their work was in inclement weather i.e. ■■■■■■■ down and windy :cry: A good Shunter was worth 10 drivers IMHO as in those days there was,usually,no way a driver would swap his lot for that of a Shunter.Same thing applies to to-days “Trampers”,do me a favour,the use of the term is an insult to drivers of yesteryear :cry: :cry: Bewick.

Correct :sunglasses: just made my DAY! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: going to bed now, just tipped my chocolate down the smoke from Belgium. :laughing: don’t tell ex haulier though I’m a manc, but I live in alderley edge! £7.50 an hour :bulb: try a minute :smiley: have you seen the house prices up here! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: oooooohhhhhhhhh it’s grim down SARF! :grimacing: :grimacing:

its all bollox drivers drive, shunters shunt…

I,m sure in the op it states a driver was having difficulty… as well as many many posts/videos on here and other sites showing drivers having problems… and to be honest if you can say your doing right 100% of the time either as driver or shunter then surely the gold must shine out your ■■■

as for shunters do you know what is written in their terms conditions/contracts or what their management is telling them? prob no… or why they are doing that job? maybe cos its set hours? maybe a medical prob, ect

i know a shunter who can put a trailer in places most experienced drivers would refuse and he does not even have a car license, and the yard is not a usual yard as the spaces change daily…

when i worked at sherburn every driver used to moan to me about the shunter as he just pulls a trailer on and off and closes the curtains if loaded… but that was what he was being told by manager and I witnessed him getting a bollocking for doing more…

in the op I cannot see the prob as such as they were allowing a driver some obviously needed practise time, as said nothing for 2 bays either side ad plenty space… i dont think its a shunters problem more to do with the drivers employer who have allowed him out on the road without checkig his skills…

I was a shunter at tesco livingston for a short time on the nightshift. 12 hours a night,

wasnt bad and never really had problems with anyone their other than a tesco driver who dropped his trailer next to me after being asked to put it on a bay (its either that or he puts it in the trailer park so either way it makes no difference) but he was just being a {zb} got made to pick it back up and put it on a bay lol.

the other one was a stobart driver who i noticed having difficulty putting a trailer on a bay, passed him and asked him to drop the trailer and id get it on the bay, went and put a couple more trailers on the bays and come back to him…only to watch him pull out and drop the thing on its knees…great

Bewick:
Now if to-days “Shunters” could load,sheet and rope 10 or a dozen 40ft flats a day,now that is “shunting” in the truest sense

They don’t because like when I was at Stobarts they have 50+ trailer movements to do in a shift in a depot that takes at least 2 minutes to drive the length of so they don’t have the time.

I’ve not seen a shunter rope and sheet a load since I started trucking in 1992.

hey Connor were you the lad who ran a blind making/fitting company? D Belford ad d Ellis were the main guys when I was there, it was the former who bollocked the shunter guy who did days for securing the curtains ect on loaded trailers, whilst forkies were waiting for trailers to load.