Any recovery drivers out there?

Will be starting with an independent recovery firm in the next few weeks.

The firm uses ex AA flat bed Renault trucks about 59 or 09 plate so nice units.

Any tips for a complete novice?
What to expect, tools to carry, things no recovery driver should be without, tricks of the trade etc etc etc…

You will not need any tools. the vehicle has been looked at by “roadside” who have decided that it is in need of recovery. Do not swear in front of client. It is “broke” with a capital F. Treat the casualty vehicle as your own, would you do that if it was your own? Get the punter/s out of danger asap. in your cab. Do a damage report asap and get punter to sign it, with a comment like “No further damage on recovery”
Enjoy it while it lasts, You will be doing long hours.

I used to do it. Hopefully its a good company as most will burn you out then replace you. It a love or hate job, I loved it. Not knowing what each job is.
Just 1 bit of advice always wear good clean hi viz and be safe.

Where in the world are you?

Thanks fella’s.
From speaking to other drivers in the firm it seems like a good place to work, one of their drivers have been there for 6months.

I am in Watford.

Not on recovery as such but I collect salvage cars from bodyshops, your winch is your best friend along with a good set of brothers and a ■■■■■■ block, hopefully theyll teach you all this.

We don’t have to take as much care as you recovery lads, but we do have to squeeze more on the truck, if your going to be using the spec lift bear in mind you need a class 1 license. I always use 2 straps on each wheel when putting one in the spec, some will say not needed but I feel alot happier that way, the normal spec strap that you’ll see and one normal strap clipped together and round the circumfrence of the wheel.

If you need any help/advice in loading/strapping drop me a PM and I’ll send you my number, as said I don’t work in recovery as such but we’re all doing the same job, I’ve had alot of recovery lads help me in the past and I’ve also helped them on many occasions.

Tom

Super_Shaun:
Thanks fella’s.
From speaking to other drivers in the firm it seems like a good place to work, one of their drivers have been there for 6months…

A whole 6 months :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Super_Shaun:
Thanks fella’s.
From speaking to other drivers in the firm it seems like a good place to work, one of their drivers have been there for 6months.

Wow, a whole 6 months? Where I’m working they’re there until the day they retire. One driver I know of has been at the place since it started in 1977.

chaversdad:

Super_Shaun:
Thanks fella’s.
From speaking to other drivers in the firm it seems like a good place to work, one of their drivers have been there for 6months…

A whole 6 months :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Conor:

Super_Shaun:
Thanks fella’s.

Wow, a whole 6 months? Where I’m working they’re there until the day they retire. One driver I know of has been at the place since it started in 1977.

Haha I must of been thinking or saying something else at the time, one of the guys have been there for 8years is what I meant.

That you Tom I will be sending a P.M over in case I need your advice I will definitely need help at some point.
I passed my C+E yesterday so am legally allowed to use the spec lift now I am with you in the mind set of over cautious/safety is the way to go.

Do you really need a class one to do spec lift work? Not saying that’s incorrect btw, just as I have a class one it’s one of them things I’ve never considered.

Super Sean I used to do recovery and it’s something that I reckon that everyone should do at least once in their lives. If you like solving problems, making decisions on the hoof, doing something different every day and working with generally a great bunch of lads (Cowboys :smiley: ) then it’s just the job for you.

I lasted nearly three years but there’s only so many 40+ hour shifts a man can take, and forget tacho laws and H&S crap, crack on and enjoy mate.

the maoster:
Do you really need a class one to do spec lift work? Not saying that’s incorrect btw, just as I have a class one it’s one of them things I’ve never considered.

Super Sean I used to do recovery and it’s something that I reckon that everyone should do at least once in their lives. If you like solving problems, making decisions on the hoof, doing something different every day and working with generally a great bunch of lads (Cowboys :smiley: ) then it’s just the job for you.

I lasted nearly three years but there’s only so many 40+ hour shifts a man can take, and forget tacho laws and H&S crap, crack on and enjoy mate.

Technically yes…very few cars weigh less than 750kg and that’s all you can tow on class 2…not sure how it works with 7.5 tonne trucks though, we run 18 and 26t

Cheers for that Tommyboy. It does kind of highlight some glaring problems in that case though, in as much as I suspect that many caravans tare off over that weight so surely the same rules should apply there? Not having a pop btw, it’s just that this is the first time I’ve considered it.

the maoster:
Cheers for that Tommyboy. It does kind of highlight some glaring problems in that case though, in as much as I suspect that many caravans tare off over that weight so surely the same rules should apply there? Not having a pop btw, it’s just that this is the first time I’ve considered it.

They certainly are over that weight. Sometimes over length :-s

20150902_163819.jpg