Any Recent Moffett Users or Trainers on here?

Hello all,

I’ve posted this already on the Driver’s Forum in case some one on their who works with these day in day out can help. So apologies for the duplicate, but I know sometimes some users only look at one forum, as I only look at two on here in reality.

Tried the search facility, which I am sure does not like me and my searching techniques. Not much relevant information on this subject came up, bar people forgetting about loading a moffett onto the back until they got to their next drop etc, etc. :blush:

Hopefully a couple of quick questions for the gentlemen who use these interesting machines in their daily work. :unamused:

1. Can anyone explain is there technically any difference between the two certificating bodies or whether only one is preferred over the other in the industry? As in, is there snobbery over the acronym preference that would be chosen by an employer using Moffetts.

The two bodies I am talking about is ITSSAR (Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register) and RTITB (■■?) haven’t got a clue what the acronym stands for?

1. I’ve had one very helpful member on here YAMBOL57 who gave me one trainer in Blackpool that would do the training, supplying the equipment too!!!

Can anyone else recommend trainers that supply the equipment to train on, they have used to get their certificate and even if not too much trouble post their details or if they are really nice PM them to me?

1. I’ve never driven a fork lift truck before, uh-oh I hear you cry :unamused: . But I have used a manual pallet truck and electric pallet trucks extensively before in previous and current lives. How difficult are moffetts to drive and use in reality from a novice’s point of view when learning to use them for real.

As I would say I am a complete novice in this skill set in reality. I’ve seen courses where they reckon it takes up to 5 days to learn but thats with 3 students and this time period decreases exponentially with the less students that are on the course down to 3 days. Does that sound a reasonable amount of time to pick up the basics safely?

Also there are trainers now saying you can put 21 hours to DCPC doing one of their courses, which would be quite useful for me as I have not even entertained the idea of the card yet and really need to pull my finger out getting it sorted.

To help with my request for potential trainer locations I am based on the Essex/Suffolk border. However for the right training I am prepared to travel anywhere in the United Kingdom literally.

Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully help me with my above queries.

Any relevant advice on the above is greatly appreciated.

C

If you dont mind travelling try

teamtrainlgv.co.uk/

As they do it can recommend them have used them for other things

Dear Animal,

I don’t mind travelling at all. I can’t see on their website about Moffett training being given in particular. Definitely fork lift training with a recognised board, which is always a good start. Just wondered if a company had brought their own their own equipment and they just done the actual training or do they actual have their own in the yard?

Only reason I say that, is not that I don’t believe you and thank you for replying so quickly, so no offence meant.

However I keep coming across the same problem; a lot of training companies can train you for the certficate, but you have to bring your own lorry and moffet and they don’t provide them bits of machinery. Obviously they must be expensive to kept sitting around waiting for demand to pick up, so it is understandable, but very annoying.

Thanks again for this and I will drop them an email asking for clarification on their training. :smiley:

C

Didn’t get many bites on here, but a lot of viewings

Did find quite a few trainers in the end, but not after shifting through a lot of bullzb from the trainers. There are a lot of trainers who blag about this training, keep your wits about you, when you are booking!

Just make sure you ask all the right questions and get the quotes and details in writing.

Best of luck to those who try this in the end.

I did a post on the “normal” forum and got a lot more advice from driver’s who do this full time and potential trainers and also tips of what to expect and take into consideration as soon as you start driving them for real! :laughing:

C

Only other thing that might be worth trying is calling up someone like Penlaw’s or Panel Supplies who run a few motors with Moffetts on them and see what training they give their drivers. If it’s a certified external provider, see if they’ll let you join one of their sessons for their drivers if you pay for the training.

Cheers 8wheels,

I’ve got my training place sorted hopefully in about 4 months time (saving up with agency money) with a supplier i used to use on the Olympics whose giving me a good discount but they’re up in the North East. :neutral_face:

I know this i ain’t buying the certificate as lots of trainers have hinted at 150 for 1 days training i zbing kid you not and you’re ready to rock and roll!!! Luckily you won’t make the new training requirements being set since last month to tidy this zb up and get on the public registers.

Luckily a lot of Moffett users said if you did that, your lack of skills would be found out by the 3rd day and unemployed by day 5 :laughing:

So the industry is still well protected for the time being :unamused:

The jobs look as interesting as the HIAB/Hire work and keeps me in the Construction Industry as I can’t give it up as you know :grimacing:

Ill bear them companies in mind with SIG and Turf/Pet Shops.

C

Well yes, I agree there’s a world of difference between a bit of paper with a rubber stamp and a full on course that you can pass or fail. I’ve got my CPCS card for the Hiab, it’s a right old faff to get it but they don’t in a cornflake packet. By and large if you’ve got a blue card then you’ve earned it.