Any problems using laptop in the truck

any drivers out there while crossing the usa or canada using there laptops ive heard the phrase scabbing not to sure what is the actual meaning something to do with accessing broadband or wireless connection i know lots of the truckstops have access in the resturants for laptops also what are the broadband deals like in canada and coverage throughout nth america also safety issues ive read on other trucking forums how drivers are getting robbed in certain ares and also how the dea are searching trucks at random with sniffer dogs any drivers had any bad experiences still it cant be as bad as running through france or partsof belgium i myself have had a couple of near misses in the wonderfull hell hole called marseiles and ax en provence the company i run for hauls lots of ridge loads into the sth of france its getting more dangerous and the run back up through france isnt any better cherbourgh is now called the new sangatae handy things ratchet straps at least if the widow is smahed in the cab its impossible to get in with out cutting the straps and as i pilot a topline scania i sleep upstairs so i have the advantage of first blow interested in hearing any drivers stories while in the usa

you want to pm bobthedog, longwayround or plasticbag mate

laptops in north america.
most of the truckstops have wi fi,i myself i try to use the flying j truckstops they do a deal at the momment its about $49.95 for 3 months,just drive in the truck parking try to park facing the building turn on the laptop and away you go,you can pay by the 24 hours, month, year direct debit.
other truckstops have the same but tend to be more expensive,but some are free.

While it’ is also true there is quite a bit of “free” wi fi for me it was not really practical.
I never seemed to be parked in the right place and the signals I could pick up are mostly password protected .

I recently signed up for an air card.

I’m very happy with it.It is almost as fast as the cable modem at home and I’ve always got a signal (so far) ,even in Canada last weekend.The only downside is the cost.The air card itself was free but the monthly is $60.00 for unlimited use. That a bit pricey,though I can deduct some of it ,like a cell phone.

I’m typing this in my truck from Poughkeepsie NY

Never been robbed,so can’t comment on that. Never been searched by law enforcement either.Had plenty of roadside/weighstation inspections which range from friendly chat while checking paper work (15mins) to full blown mechanical inspection (1-2 hrs).Worse case here is getting put out of service and having to wait in the inspection compound until a mechanic comes out to fix whatever is wrong.

:smiley:

Gidday Cobber

We use them here to access our Oz website www.ozprodrivers.com.au
We have two methods we use the Telstra Network on wireless broadband speeds. The card is a PCMCIA card which clicks into the 3g or next g mobile network. I can also take it overseas at huge costs

What you are talking about here is leeching which is where you use a wireless network card and search for a unsecured wireless network and loop into there network for free.

Its getting harder to find them on B Double 26meter or Road Train routes as many people are wiser to the fact of free internet via there home or business systems. You call up old mate on the UHF what ya parked there for and they say shoosh busy so you find out there is a free network somewhere. Looks hard case when a whole lot of 19, 26, 36 and 53 meter singles, b doubles or road trains are parking in some weird spots. One Motel on the Pacific Highway in NSW was always getting trucks parked outside. I don’t do it now as the speeds on tghe telstra network are better than pinching some blokes internet time. Most truck stops here are pretty backward with supplying internet and if they do it is too expensive the germs

A dude wrote about it in our website
ozprodrivers.com.au/e107_plu … rum.php?86

The other gadget we use is an external antenna and inverter 12 to 240 volt unit.

Hope this helps