Any opening for the O/D for scandinavia

Good evening,

Could anybody recommend or tell me of any owner driver work to Scandinavia on a regular basis, or is it all unaccompanied??

I am very keen to explore this area as a change from the usual italy/Greece etc. whic hwe have plied for years.

Looking for a regular weekly departure, and i understand the elements are against in the winter, but we have Scandinavian products to cope with that!!

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks,

Richard.

Ihave only done Finnland, but if you do get a contract where you are

doing these scandinavian countries, your lorry will need a good few

additions to the specifications ,so that it can operate at the very low-

-tempertures that you will meet. the finns have 2 types of fuel for

the diesil vehicles, summer++winter down to -45degs c , they also have

artic-batterys( better-stronger) . A reliable nightheater something like

the artic-fox this type of heater is also used to keep your diesil from

waxing and works down to -40c. For Norway you will need SNOWCHAINS

FOR every wheel on your complete unit, in winter they check the lorrys

and ■■■■■■ them to were purchase of the snowchains is possible also

you get fined as well for not haveing them in the first place.

Not forgetting you need proper WINTER tyres which we normaly do

not know about just the EUROPEAN winter tyre is what we are used to.

that was just a few points but there are many more to consider

Iused to work for a firm in Sweden with KW and Biggles, when i started there it was the only part of Europe i hadnt driven to, when i eventually got to go there it was amazing, not because it was where all the decent trucks are made but because of the scenery, the friendliness, the fact that id never breathed in such fresh pure air, just everything, i considered moving there,
Anyway 3 or 4 years later, im trying to get my boss to go there, he cant find anyone who does it regular and i cant find anything through the people i know and knew when i used to work there.
Good luck, and if you are lucky enough to get a job driving there, and you want another driver, let me know :laughing:

Not long after i did the Swedish job, i started another job doing Hemel Hempstead to Athens twice a month :sunglasses: that was a big difference in everything really :sunglasses: waiting for a boat and the temp is 135 in Patras, and in Sweden it was maybe 5 if you were lucky :open_mouth: As you know if you do the Greek run from Ancona you will see Combitrans everywhere.(Swedish firm)
Whenever i went to Sweden the only trucks i saw from over here were from Southern Ireland, in around 2 or 3 years i probably saw maybe a dozen English trucks.
The cost of the ferries and/or the time it takes to drive there doesnt really make it worthwile
Most people want to drive there just for the fact that its where they make Scanias and Volvos :open_mouth: , but be warned if you havent been there before, it can be very expensive, but saying that, all the girls are beautiful, so its worth doing in my opinion :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

there used to be a couple of Norwegian lads doing Fish to Grimsby, They normally came in Tor Line because they were so heavy :cry: and they were loading Pizza bases back.

We did a bit of work for IAT in Denmark, loading Tank Containers in Italy and tipping Gothenburg

A lot of ferry trailers come in through Immingham from Sweden, I think the ferry crossing time prohibits a lot of self drive, as its a long drive up through Denmark although Vince will probably know more about the Russian routes

I see a lot of Scandinavian Trucks doing Spain now though

a and m meats ireland do loads up that way. long drive up,esberg immingham ferry back

Did Scandinavia on a regular basis when i worked for Wally Eldridge going to Denmark…Sweden…Norway…Finland…didnt need snow chains…never carried them. had a normal night heater…a normal Seddon Atkinson…nothing special
put petrol in the diesel tank…plenty of un-diluted anti-freeze…spirit in the air tanks and down the air lines…fire the old girl up every morning if stationary…and a bit of common sense…driving with headlights is compulsory even in daylight hours…the roads are well looked after in snow conditions…

I may be wrong but I think Geoff Gilbert does a lot of it and he uses O/D’s

SMUDGER:
I may be wrong but I think Geoff Gilbert does a lot of it and he uses O/D’s

I think you’re right (you are wrong) GG normally does flowers and plants from Holland and they have a regular run to Swiss to load chocolate,but I have never seen them in Sweden.