Any one worked or done a induction for Palmer and Harvey

Any info wtd any info apretiated

Yes, one day on agency out of Inverness about 7 years ago. 39 drops in a 7.5 tonner and I knew two of them drops, one a chip shop an the other a pub. Stuff that !! :open_mouth:

What and where? One of 2 firms that I will never do class 2 multi-drop for again.

Dreadful…you have been warned!

I’ve done the same sort of work for 11 years,if you don’t mind a bit of graft then go for it…if nothing else it will stop you falling into the stereotypical truckers “physique” :smiley:

Induction is more about “using the tail lift” rather than “how to drive”. :neutral_face:

Been doing it on class 2 since June out of Hemel, first HGV job so haven’t got anything to compare it to, but I reckon, in a nutshell, crap job, alright pay, good experience for new drivers. It is multidrop, average about 12 -15 hits a day, do one in three Saturdays in exchange for a day off in the week. The drops are varied, corner shops, tescoses, petrol stations, offices, train stations, warehouses, schools, hospitals. The office don’t trust anybody, so normally we get given a different patch everyday which is hard to get used to. Different wagon everyday, mixture of merc and daf 18T and Scania p 18 and 26 T and a few ivecos. Lugging the stuff around can be hard work. The customers can be hard work. The monkeys in the warehouse and the bods in the offices are mostly idiots. But it is good experience and they will employ virtually anyone, if you finish your drops they will let you get away with anything.

On class 1 it is night trunking double deck trailers with a fridge, to other p+h warehouses, the driver doesn’t touch the load but (I think) it is the same money as class 2.

The induction was just sitting in a room and read bits of paper then sign them while a man talked guff, then walk around the yard, this is a pump truck, that is a cage, etc.

Best of luck.

human cannonball:
Been doing it on class 2 since June out of Hemel…

Hell’s teeth, P&H Hemel gives me the willies…

I used to drive artics there when I was still really green, only a few weeks into my Class 1. Always busy, usually packed full to the rafters with lorries, really tight. In fact that’s where I had my first incident - took a poor guy’s mirror off in the yard when I was reversing completely blind (and daft).

I’d be happy if I never went there again…no offence… :slight_smile:

ORC:
no offence… :slight_smile:

None taken mate! It’s a regular thing, looks like a destruction derby in there some mornings.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox … e-34555388
Perhaps their inductions should tell you to read and heed height warnings on garage forecourts. :unamused:

The depot near me (Snodland) has got a bloody electric fence around it - like Stalagluft 17 FFS… :angry:
I imagine it’s to keep drivers turning up for their induction from running away… :stuck_out_tongue:

I did one day there on Shunting. Never saw any artics though - so perhaps that side of the business is different? Driving Artics for P&H might indeed be a cushy number for all I know…
Had to take some empties over to Quarry Wood most of the day. So much for the shunting.

Definitely the longest 8 hour shift ever. :frowning:

Did couple of weeks in feeder road , cause i lived 5 minute hammer away , and seemed easier than cycling to avonmouth in the winter .

Wasnt drops or lorries that got me …

It was picking the orders in back of truck at each drop .

The lunatic warehouse make up a cage of drinks , a cage of biscuits , a cage of choc bars etc , and the driver has to sort it all out . crazy .

Soon decided i missed the early morning hammer to avonmouth , or even portbury !!

Is right up there in top (bottom ?) Worst 3 jobs of my life …

And ive had literally 100’s

Altho that probs 20 years ago and im sure everything has changed for the better ■■?

Winseer:
Induction is more about “using the tail lift” rather than “how to drive”. :neutral_face:

To be fair lots of tail lifts work differently but you should already know how to drive an hgv! :laughing:

Probably not an automatic.

If these multidrop firms didn’t moan about you talking 15 hours to deliver stuff, and then come back with drops 72-95 because there wasn’t enough time - the work itself wouldn’t be an issue.

It’s the “rush rush rush” aspect of it that gets on my ■■■■. Who wants to squeeze 15 hours of work into a flat 8 hour shift with the increased risks of spilling stuff, pranging stuff, and getting customers try it on with you every time you turn up to a drop weary-eyed, and looking like it’s your first day (as there’ll never be a second!) :frowning:

I found the customer trying it on thing - most stressful. That alone was enough to put me off ever taking a multidrop job as full-time - regardless of the money paid. :bulb:

Did P&H on agency out of Aylesford for about a year, was always in a rush going into small shops with all the parking problems that came with, planners not having a clue how it really works. Lot of hand balling cages off by tail-lift and unloading in the shop. Or loading tesco cages off pallets in the back of the truck. To be honest it wasn’t the sort of work I wanted to do, but was my first Hgv Job so got experience. Lots of people like it though.

I notice that there are some out there who are not bothered by things going wrong, like spilling cages, customers nicking stuff, and the constant parking tickets.
Such things DO bother me though, and I find them stressing me out - so the best way for me to proceed - is not to go down the road of multidrop in future.

Give me an artic and a place where artics are allowed to go - as a destination - any day. :slight_smile:

Try to avoid that place. Can’t write anything else because I signed a form. :slight_smile:

I turned down £11.50p/h plus expenses for the honour of working at P&H (Haydock) :sunglasses:

Says it all really :wink:

dani1972:
Did P&H on agency out of Aylesford for about a year, was always in a rush going into small shops with all the parking problems that came with, planners not having a clue how it really works. Lot of hand balling cages off by tail-lift and unloading in the shop. Or loading tesco cages off pallets in the back of the truck. To be honest it wasn’t the sort of work I wanted to do, but was my first Hgv Job so got experience. Lots of people like it though.

Do you shelf stack for the customers or is it just lugging it into the shop?