Any one on here worked on cement mixer truck

What’s it like is it bit like tipper work

I have, and i loved it. It was my first job after i got my license, 8w mixer.

Never been on tippers, so i cant compare.

What do you want to know?

Delivery to building sites that don’t have much room to manoeuvre around, unstable surface areas such as mud, sand and bogs.
Equipment must be washed down a lot to prevent cement drying.
Dvsa can not fine you for not securing your load.
Risk of tipping over if on a slope.
You go to interesting places where other lorries don’t go to .

What is the day like? How many hours? How many drops? Is it a dirty job, I thought cement can burn. Any pros or cons thanks

Hours can depend on how busy your place is, you can definetly have 13/15 hour days if your place has work. Driving hours were never the problem, you can lose 8/9m3 at a pump in 5 minutes, but if your unloading with a crane it can take well over an hour easy. I would have one site drop, then back to the plant to reload. Iv never had to batch it out. If one site wanted 4m3 then thats all id load, drop it then back to the plant for the next.

Theres lots of different types of mixes, and it has a shelf life 90mins (iirc) before it has to be poured or chucked away.

It can be a dirty/wet job. My first week i would be wet from the knees down everynight after washing out, but you kind of learn how to handle your hose and stay dry. Safety glasses were a must, if you ever got concrete on you just wash it of with water.

I got to see a lot of jobs and cool/interesting sites and projects.

Do you have to clean it out how is this done why was you wet from knees down do you have to operate it whilst unloading

never did redi mix in uk …it .kind o found me over here so to speak and the tipper as well (did that in uk) as said it can be interesting seeing new places meeting folk etc .BUT its hard in bad weather soaking back an forwards tae big pours. HS will be a big thing and petty site rules.
now some companies allow the drivers to add water to the mix on site to change the slump /some don’t.BUT what all companies have in common is make sure you wash out the barrel out /behind the fins,over the barrel as jackhammering a barrel is NOT fun.
site conditions can make or break you ,make sure you know your company position on being dragged in out o places(we are no pull/push) .pumps are fun ,make sure you know where the buzzer/stop is and don’t puke it over the pump,they get bitchy.
pouring kerbs,walls.footing of the chutes takes time to learn so don’t listen tae the boys that want you to dump quickly …it will end in tears. don’t drive along side cuttings to pour of chutes ( you will land on your side eventually) it happens to the best . take it easy at first keep the barrel turning always (in if possible lol). I enjoy it now gets me out o the seat ,and tbh I feel a lot better no as stiff. jimmy :smiley:

Do a search on my posts,
Then put ‘mixer’ in the search box and it will take you to about 6 different mixer threads.
I was OD on a mixer for 10 years after being a plant manager/batcher.
Not done it for 10 years now but I’m regularly in the workshop with old colleagues and it hasn’t changed a lot.

Take it easy round corners. And keep the drum turning the right way round. :open_mouth:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=121606#p1887325

A few photos of my first year on mixers. Like i said, you get to go to interesting places

jesus digit last week you were going to train and be a transport manager.

war1974:
jesus digit last week you were going to train and be a transport manager.

Take a look back at some of his past posts. I suspect he has one too many "D"s in his username!

Hi People, can you give me some free information on an open forum about livestock transport. I’m specifically looking at transporting fowl, goose in fact… What I’m specifically looking for is a byproduct, metallic in nature, almost spherical and a yellowish colour.

All help appreciated! :grimacing:

Similar to tipper work in one respect, if you get one set of wheels in a trench you generally fall on your side in the ■■■■.

Pete.

++1 :smiley:

I done it when i first passed class 2 and i thought it was a great job just my boss was a ■■■■ lol . Would go back to it in a second but never seems to be any vacancies around here .
Very challenging getting into some of the sites as a lot going on around you with limited space but usually theres a set plan for mixers entering sites and you will get priority over other deliveries .
Can be a bit slow unloading if using skips but if suns out its no problem lol.
Guys on sites are good laugh well 99% of them 1% are kb ends .
You will clean chute and drum out after each delivery usually a set location on site or just where you are.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Victa1:
I done it when i first passed class 2 and i thought it was a great job just my boss was a ■■■■ lol . Would go back to it in a second but never seems to be any vacancies around here .
Very challenging getting into some of the sites as a lot going on around you with limited space but usually theres a set plan for mixers entering sites and you will get priority over other deliveries .
Can be a bit slow unloading if using skips but if suns out its no problem lol.
Guys on sites are good laugh well 99% of them 1% are kb ends .
You will clean chute and drum out after each delivery usually a set location on site or just where you are.

Good luck :slight_smile:

If you are ex forces then I might be able to put you in touch with someone. He has tried to get me but I wont touch it (not being disrespectful, its just not my kind of work) but he is only interested in taking on ex squaddies

scanny77:

If you are ex forces then I might be able to put you in touch with someone. He has tried to get me but I wont touch it (not being disrespectful, its just not my kind of work) but he is only interested in taking on ex squaddies
[/quote]
No sorry not ex soldier , thanks all the same though.