Any one had a catheter

Took into hospital on sunday to have a lump taken out of my belly,when i came round they had fitted a catheter which came out wednesday when they sent me home.Now when i go for a pee i have very bad pain is this right and how long will it last?

Call NHS direct and ask them.

mac12:
Took into hospital on sunday to have a lump taken out of my belly,when i came round they had fitted a catheter which came out wednesday when they sent me home.Now when i go for a pee i have very bad pain is this right and how long will it last?

You need to be speaking to the hospital, you need to be very very careful with urinary infections, my dad went through something similar some time ago, he nearly met his maker :open_mouth:

The NHS will sling you out PDQ, whether your doing well or not, its called “case closed”, their targets are met, when you are re-admitted, your classed as a new case, be very wary, and, if your not happy, speak to the ward manager, the nurses are only carrying out instructions.

Be very careful, the bladder is a dodgy area :frowning:

Been there, T shirt etc.The old Pee pipe is a bit of a wuss and don’t like being messed with and is very easily scratched internally (usually by a salt crystal that has formed on the tube). Urine is a bit of a swine for finding this scratch and reminding you it’s there. Give it a week or two, it should be getting a bit easier everyday though.
Don’t forget that after an op, you aren’t usually at your best and maybe you are a bit more pain-sensitive than you would normally be anyway.
One thing that can happen after a catheter is a kidney infection and I had that pleasure as well. It felt like a slightly higher than normal sciatica type pain that you couldn’t find a position to get confortable with, then it started on the other side as well. At that point, I can say very truthfully, that if I had been the owner of a gun, I would have blown my brains out! Bearing in mind I had gone into hospital with over 30 broken bones and had many hours of surgery during multiple operations, a Kidney infection takes pain to a whole new level!

DoYouMeanMe?:
Been there, T shirt etc.The old Pee pipe is a bit of a wuss and don’t like being messed with and is very easily scratched internally (usually by a salt crystal that has formed on the tube). Urine is a bit of a swine for finding this scratch and reminding you it’s there. Give it a week or two, it should be getting a bit easier everyday though.
Don’t forget that after an op, you aren’t usually at your best and maybe you are a bit more pain-sensitive than you would normally be anyway.
One thing that can happen after a catheter is a kidney infection and I had that pleasure as well. It felt like a slightly higher than normal sciatica type pain that you couldn’t find a position to get confortable with, then it started on the other side as well. At that point, I can say very truthfully, that if I had been the owner of a gun, I would have blown my brains out! Bearing in mind I had gone into hospital with over 30 broken bones and had many hours of surgery during multiple operations, a Kidney infection takes pain to a whole new level!

It was my kidney that had the lump on it,well lump was bigger than kidney.Don’t like asking hospital in case they want me back in i think i will get better at home quicker

mac12:

DoYouMeanMe?:

It was my kidney that had the lump on it,well lump was bigger than kidney.Don’t like asking hospital in case they want me back in i think i will get better at home quicker

I think your thinking wrong…

One life, that`s all you get :open_mouth:

Have a look @ co-operative.coop/funeralcare, while your suffering, you may need it :cry:

i will give the ward a ring

Agree with above about not taking chances. I had a catheter because the operations caused me to lose the muscle action and I couldn’t pee for a few weeks, you however have issues in the kidney area anyway. Don’t ■■■■ with them! Ring up!!!

mac12:
i will give the ward a ring

Good lad, keep us informed on your progress…

I had a catheter fitted a for a while after a spinal injury. Didn’t get any pain after removal, then i had very little sensitivity in that area anyway. 2 questions:

1 Is there blood in your urine? if so that is a bad indicator.

2 Are you taking anti-biotics? I had to try more than 1 before the best effect was gained.

It is still early after surgery so the pain may well be part of the healing process but if in doubt check it out. Good luck.

finally got to speak to someone and told to take paracetamol,if still like it in morning go and see them.

wiretwister there is no blood so that must be good,and im not on antibiotics

I think the reason for a catheter is for the nurses to be able to punish you if you have acted up after your procedure, ““this wont hurt”, ouch”! :blush:

Hope all is well mate. I’ve never had a catheter but I bet a few bosses would like the drivers to have 1, saves stopping for a break!

Don’t drink drinks that are acidic…For obvious reasons. Don’t forget yer’ ■■■■ pipe is an outlet not an inlet! :laughing:

Yep been there with the catheter - on more than one occasion.

I convinced them to take it out at some point whilst I was still in hospital - so they did on the proviso I would pee in a bottle within three hours or it went back in. Could I pee? No flamin way. Absolutley bustin but couldn’t do it- and in it went again - ■■■■ that’s unpleasant.

Anyway - in my experience pretty normal for discomfort/pain (depending how soft you are) after removal and lasted a couple of days for me.

However - best be on the safe side and ask eh? Don’t do the man thing and suffer in silence - SCREAM and let it all out :open_mouth:

After an accident,falling off a trl,i am a para pleigic in a w/chair for 11yrs.Most of that time i have had a catheter[perminent]now fitted in my bladder.Point i am making mate is,dont hang about get it seen to if you get kidney or bladder infections they are trouble.Good luck.
regards dave.

thanks for all your advice,seen doctor at hospital and i have an infection been put on antibiotics